Thread: Testing a variety

Default Testing a variety

While not actively looking, and you know how that goes, I've been thinking of how to try a bigger variety of mandolins. Now we know a Nashville shop or two would be just the ticket, but I was wondering about the festival scene. I've never been to one and likely would have to go solo, as the other half isn't into the music, but do a good amount of builders show up, and are regular attendees amenable to letting you try out their mandolins?

I know nothing beats playing the one you're going to buy, but having tried one, it is certainly a better feeling buying online.

With my recent trip to a shop that deals Pava and Giouard, I've about exhausted my local market. So now I have a good idea of , Collings, Pava, Girouard, Weber, and Northfield. I tried some Gibsons at TMS a couple of years ago.

I know there are many that would envy me this selection I have locally.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Testing a variety

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    ...So now I have a good idea of , Collings, Pava, Girouard, Weber, and Northfield...some Gibsons...
    Question: you haven't found something you like among these? Enough to enjoy playing more than shopping?

I'm sorry - that sounds rude maybe. I'm curious though - does not one among these inspire you?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I know there are many that would envy me this selection I have locally.
    Yes, sounds like you've had some good names to compare!

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I'm curious though - does not one among these inspire you?
    I think it's a legitimate question. I was wondering the same thing.

Re: the OP question -- "do a good amount of builders show up, and are regular attendees amenable to letting you try out their mandolins?" I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I would assume it depends on how big the festival is, and I doubt that "one size fits all" in the festival world, but I am like the OP, haven't visited festivals like this in the past. I went to the Folk & Bluegrass Festival in Pagosa Springs this month, and was disappointed at the lack of instrument vendors. One music store with several guitars and one The Loar mandolin, and a banjo builder was there.

I did find that many festival goers are happy to discuss instruments and swap instruments for a try. I got to play a couple of Jim Hillburn's beautiful mandolins, and a few other interesting ones from folk I met there. But I'd imagine the large festivals would have more vendors?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I told you guys, I'm NOT looking to buy a mandolin. OK, I know you don't believe me, but someday I might be, and I want to be as educated as possible when that time comes, you know, when I try that unknown maker and go holy cow, this is better than that Ellis I tried.

As far as a mandolin inspiring me, they all do. Really, among the brands I noted there is not one I just discounted. Probably the woodiness of the Pava stands out, and the new F9 I tried. Then there was that '23 A2Z......

I used to not like Collings much at all, but they grow on you. Keep in mind my limit is $4500 and I would need to be absolutely blown away to spend any more than $3000, new or used. As far as something I might buy new, I keep playing the Northfield F 5S.

But that compares with the more upscale As from Pava, Collings, and Girouard. The scroll is powerful though. I've not played a Flatiron either.

Much of my next mandolin purchase decision is predicated on finishing my Arches build. If it's woody, I'll do bright, and visa versa.

What compounds the issue is the nature of hearing itself. I've tended toward vintage Gibson dry lately in guitar taste. When I pull out my rosewood Martin I think why would I like these overblown overtones? After a half hour they turn into beautiful bloom. Pick up the 00 all hog 15 and it seems dead. That morphs into a wonderful woody clarity.

In going from the Pava to the Girouard, I had a problem thinking the Girouard was just overly bright. The more I played the less I thought that. I'm used to my Silverangel, the opposite end of the spectrum. And really, you need a mandolin that chopps like the Gibson and Pava do. And you need a Collings or Girouard too. I need mandolins of all flavors to match my mood.

And lets not even complicate thing by talking oval holes. I will own a vintage Gibson someday. So that makes at least three more mandolins I need to buy.

But I am NOT looking to buy a mandolin. I want to be extra extra clear on that count. I'm going into shops purely to educate myself.There was this really nice cream Collings MTO in Gryphon the other day.........
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Sure you don't want to buy! LOL! You got MAS son, you might deny it, but you're about to buy one. Best start saving now, cuz it sounds like you might buy two!

It's fun to swap at festivals and at jams. Just stick out your mando and ask to trade for a song or two. Most everyone wants to hear a different axe.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

8. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Okay, so now that's settled. You're NOT under any circumstances fixing to buy a mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks for understanding.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

If you're on the east coast, IBMA expo in Raleigh is pretty good for mandolin tasting. Builders like Ellis, Sorensen, June, and Wilson. Elderly and Eastman has had a booth every year I've been. That and the music scene is as good as it gets.

The largest festival I go to (MerleFest) not so much. One builder that I can think of has shown up at expo tent.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Br1ck, I understand.
    Although I'm very happy with the 2 mandolins that I play regularly, I still get a charge from trying new mandolins.
    Last week I sampled several at the music camp I attended and intend to do the same again later in the summer.

I've spent many hours at Carter Vintage during each of several visits to Nashville, comparing all the brands that I don't see when I'm home. (Only once have I actually left the store with a new instrument.)

Keep educating yourself. You'll be ready when the right lottery ticket hits and you'll have fun in the meantime.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”