Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SURPRISE!!!... Best Wife ever!!!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default SURPRISE!!!... Best Wife ever!!!

Forgive me the long back story, but I think its awesome and an important part of what is to come, so I felt the need to share it...

16 years and one month ago I married Mrs. Awesome. The following year we bought our home here in Marietta, GA. Being a hands-on kind of couple with Art School degrees and the willingness to get our hands dirty, as well as a knowledge of how to do stuff (or figure out how), we bought the house in the neighborhood that needed the most work... "a real fixer-upper."... I'll also add that I've worked professionally for the last 10 years in trim carpentry, cabinetry, general carpentry and Facilities Maintenance fields. Thusly, I've spent the last decade and a half remodeling our home bit by bit, piece by piece and over nights and weekends... I have given the cobblers children their shoes so to speak (pretty nice ones too IMHO).

So this morning, I nailed in the last piece of shoe mold and brushed on the last bit of touch up paint in the last major remodel project in the house, at which point I threw up my hands and said... "WUHOO!... I'm done!"... So here we are, 15 years, 4 kids, a Master's Degree and a few jobs later and we have a house that looks like we dreamed it would when we bought it so long ago, and I have done 99% of the work myself. So here comes the awesome part...

After dinner, after we get the girls to bed, Mrs. Awesome strolls into the kitchen and hands me a balloon and a card touting "YOU DID IT" in Dr Seuss fashion. The card has a note inside that lists an approximation of all of the supplies I have used over the course of 15 years to make our house OUR house and at the end it says "...Have you ever heard of 'The Station'?"...

I say "Um... no?" and she says with a tear in her eye "I'm taking you to Nashville!... You've worked so hard all these years and now you're done. I want to say thank you by taking you to Nashville to do WHATEVER you want... except for Sunday night, because there is an open Jam at a place called 'The Station' so you are going to that!" And she says "By the way, we are staying in a hotel RiGHT next door to The Station, so you can Jam as late as you want!..." .... Thats awesome Mrs Awesome.

Its important to understand that this is incredibly selfless of Mrs. Awesome, because she has a general dislike of Bluegrass Music, so my playing Mandolin is tricky at times... but she has spent the last month researching and planning a Bluegrass-centric trip. Her awesomeness has shone through here and I am blessed to call her my wife.

All of this is to get me to the point where I can ask y'all to: GIMME SOME IDEAS OF WHAT TO DO IN NASHVILLE!!!!!!

Of course, Carters Vintage and Grunh's Guitars are immediately on the MUST DO list,... but we've got 3 days 2 nights in Nashville coming in September, so tell me what else there is to see!

Also, tell me about the Jam at The Station if you've been.

If I can sell some more Armrests before then too, ...heck... I might be able to BUY something at Carters or Grunh's!!!... That'd be cool!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: SURPRISE!!!... Best Wife ever!!!

Congrats on a project completed!!!
    Too. For chosing such a wonderful wife. They are few and far between. I know because I too have one myself. I often say, “I don’t know what I did to get such a wonderful wife. I just hope I keep doing it so I can keep her around!”.
    Don’t know much about the scene in Nashville myself. Hope to visit soon also.
    Have an awesome time soaking it all in!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

If you're going to be in town on a Monday night, you might want to see if the Time Jumpers are playing at a place called Third and Lindsley. Not bluegrass, but really great music played by very talented musicians. The band includes, Paul Franklin on steel, 'ranger' Doug Greene and Vince Gill. Plus, you never know who will show up to set in. Great fun.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Congratulations on your work & the outcome. Going back close to 30 years,i had to do very much the same on my first house. I managed to do such a decent job,that we sold it for close to 4 x what we paid for it - these days,it would be totally beyond me.
    It might be a good idea to visit 'Gruhns' & ask George himsself what's worth seeing in Nashville - if anybody will know,it's that guy !.

You want a project ? - Here's one of the most awesome ones i've watched on the UK TV prog. ''Grand Designs'' ,
    Ivan
    If you get a couple of pop-ups,click on the 'x' in the top RH corner of 'em to close 'em down. This is worth watching to see what sheer determination can accomplish.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

===========

My former co worker always used to say; 'Zito, you don't even know which end of the hammer to hold!' . . . so, the fact that you were able to do 99% of the work to make your home your 'dream house' is to be greatly commended.

Enjoy Nashville and keep up updated!

Blog Entries

If you want to try some 5 star southern cooking, don't miss lunch at Arnold's (next door to Carter's). Featured on Diners Drive-Ins & Dives.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Check out the Ryman schedule, and hit the Nashvegas strip one night. You won’t get much bluegrass there, but there are some great house bands. In addition to Carter’s and Gruhn’s (which can take up the better part of a day, I know from experience) check out Cotten Music and Artisan Guitars (out in Franklin, but not a bad drive, and it’s in an old mill converted into shopping/antique stores, so Mrs. Awesome will have some entertainment, too). Also, hit Carter’s after Gruhn’s, because they’re likely to offer Mrs. Awesome a beer or soda and pizza, and they have a pretty decent “spousal waiting” area. And, Arnold’s isn’t open for breakfast...

The Country Music Hall of Fame is supposed to be excellent, though I’ve not been there yet. And, if you want to do the Bluebird Cafe, you need to get tickets ahead of time. It’s gotten so popular since the TV show hit that very few people who line up for hours outside actually get in anymore, especially if there’s a known entity playing. Pam Tillis was the headliner the night we tried to go, and I think maybe 6 or 8 people in the line of probably 150 got in...
    Chuck

Congrats on the house and the vacation, Spencer. Cool story! My wife and I have similar backgrounds in art and education. We bought a historic home about an hour away from the "big city" a few years ago. While in solid condition, there is always something to maintain on a home that is over 100 years old. We had a carpenter friend who is no longer with us and he did several projects over the years at the "discounted" rate of $22 an hour! While he was a jack-of-all trades and a family friend, I soon realized that my skills were as good as his, he just had years more experience and was quicker, although he was not quick, but any means. Anyway, it dawned on me that I repair guitars and can read a tape measure and can operate tools and watch a youtube tutorial if I can't figure it out on my own. Most of it is common sense, and to be honest, most of the stuff a house requires are much less critical and detail oriented than instrument repair. And, on a house if you goof -- that's what trim boards are for!

Enjoy Nashville!

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Great story, congratulations on both, the ”house project” and more importantly Mrs. Awsome!
    An old friend used to do a lot of the open mic things at the Station, I don’t know if he still does but, if you see a guy named Kevin Ball, tell him hello from Kalamazoo!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Great story. Congratulations!

You are one lucky man. Have fun.

I have been to Nashville twice and I hope your visit is better than both on mine were...I did get to see the Hall Of Fame, went to the Grand Ole Opry on the first trip but on the second one there was a freezing rain storm and those people just don`t know how to drive when there are slick roads, cars all over the roads sideways etc, I did have a heavy motor home so I didn`t have any problems, on that trip I did visit the Gibson repair shop only by mistake because I took a side street to get around some of the "stalled" traffic and it took me right by the repair shop...I`m sure you will be able to find some info on what is there if you go by a "Welcome to Nashville" rest area if you are driving ….

Enjoy the trip, sounds like you have earned it, should be fun with that "Angel" by your side also

Willie

I'm with Mike Ziti, I have to hire everything done. Congratulations on your completion and I'll take a look at those armrests.
    Spousal waiting area at Carter's? I may go back.

Sorry Zito I didn't mean pasta.

If you can, take a guided backstage tour of the Ryman.
    https://www.opryentertainmentgroup.c...dah2ezNvL8U%3D

At Carter's ask to be setup in a listening room off of the main instrument room, so you can really hear what you're playing, since there will likely be many other players testing instruments while you're there.

If you have time, you should setup a meeting with Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustic & Redline Acoustics, just north-east of Nashville. I would suspect that the two of you would have a lot to talk about. Try out one of his Redline A5 mandolins. Super sweet!
    http://cumberlandacoustic.com/ https://www.redlineacoustics.com

Sim Daley is also someone to visit if you get a chance. Super high quality mandolins! (or at least play one at Carter's)
    http://www.simdaley.com

Don't forget about Cotten Music! Great rotating selection of guitars and mandolins!
    http://www.cottenmusic.com/

Oh and for eats check out the 12 South neighborhood
    http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visito...rhoods/12south
    And may as well stop in at Corner Music while you're there
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jun-24-2018 at 1:43pm.

Congrats, Spencer, on the completed project/house and the awesome wife! Enjoy the well deserved vacation!
    Breedlove American "K" (2013)
    Redline Traveler Deluxe (2014)
    Gibson TB-1 (1954)
    Gold Tone OT-800 (2012)

Well, it was basically a couch in the main room with a coffee table and some magazines, but she didn’t have to follow me around while I played with everything in the store
    Chuck

Well, it’s not bluegrass, but my wife and I had a really good time at The Listening Room Cafe. 2 seatings a night, good food, local beers, and up and coming singer/songwriters. Also, Biscuit Love for breakfast in the gulch area, and go see the Parthenon.

You've got to go see the mandolin at the Country Music Hall of Fame, no? Elvis' Caddy is worth the trip as well . . .

Congratulations on all you've accomplished! Your wife is certainly a blessing to you and you, to her!
    If you like BBQ, you have to go to Jacks on Broadway st. You'll thank me later!

The Ryman is just around the corner from Jacks!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Kelley For This Useful Post:

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing, have a blast. Please report back some highlights, been trying to figure out a way to get there for.a Weekend myself.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I'd say CMHF worth a first time visit for both of you. Allow 2 hours for that one or more if you are into the history of Country music. Just to get close to Monroe's Loar and Earl's Granada is worth the $15 admission. If you want to look at lots of vintage mandos hanging on a wall there's that college in town (forget the name) that is free for the looking but donation welcomed. Took me 2 hours to see it all. I think I counted something like 15 Loars there. Station Inn always a must any night of the week. Even the cheap seats at the Opry are worth going for. They do still have some bluegrass acts.

Blog Entries

I know you're gonna have a great time. It looks to me like you now have at least two weeks worth of "must do" items in and around Nashville. So make a couple of appointments and then just wing it. You won't be able to do everything so you'll have plenty of reason to come back again real soon now ya hear?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

So our Nashville trip is next weekend and I'm getting pretty excited.

So far the plan is to visit Carters (and maybe Gruhns) on Saturday, then go to Bluegrass Brunch on Sunday morning at the Sutler Saloon. There is a band playing called The Tennessee Warblers, then possibly more Carters or Gruhns (dunno).

Definitely planning to go to the Jam Sunday night at The Station Inn which it literally right next door to where we are staying.

I just need recommendations for places to eat and some more fun stuff to check out on Sunday afternoon and Monday Morning before we head back to Atlanta.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I just need recommendations for places to eat and some more fun stuff to check out on Sunday afternoon and Monday Morning before we head back to Atlanta.
    i was there less than a month ago. The crowd's are outrageous on the weekend, like 6-8 people deep in the streets, so finding an open table at one of the popular spots on the weekend in particular may not be easy.