Thread: My New Northfield Artist 2A a Mind-blowing Success

Default My New Northfield Artist 2A a Mind-blowing Success

Thanks to all the great experience shared in my last thread, I decided to pursue a locally available Northfield Artist 2A. Words cannot describe how incredible this instrument is. Its voice is just perfect for my tastes. It responds to the lightest touch and the hardest mule-whip with equal excitement and muscle. High notes on the E string have a great woody thump so they don't sound shrill. Chords have a really beautiful, almost psychedelic swirl to them.
    And the build quality! Oh my lord, what an instrument. The craftsmanship is at a level I've never witnessed in person until now. Super 3D figured maple and red spruce. Mirror smooth varnish finish. I wish pictures could convey the depth in the figuring. The lines and curves are pure art.
    I contacted Northfield in hopes of learning more about the instrument and Peter talked at length with me as though I was their #1 customer, despite my having purchased the instrument used from a third party. He shared all these cool details about the mando; apparently it was a custom order for a vision-impaired gent who wanted large dots on the board, which I think look great. He also wanted a slightly U shaped neck, nearly flat board, and vintage frets, all of which are specs I happen to favor. Apparently the instrument was a shop favorite, and went out with Marshall for a spell, which I think is really cool.
    The shop I got it from had a pretty insane stock of high-end mandolins, so I was lucky enough to compare it against many five-figure specimens, including a very nice Gilchrist. The shop owner also loved the Northfield, and we found it sounded nicer than most the instruments between it and the Gilchrist, and went toe-to-toe with the Gilchrist no prob.
    This is my forever mando; it already feels like a close friend. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to have a flowerpot inlaid on the headstock by Dave Nichols
    Anyway, my highest recommendation to the Northfield team; these are top folks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZMynk5X.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	740.8 KB 
ID:	168802

Name:	ntgsKX4.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	815.5 KB 
ID:	168811

Name:	9adxjAm.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	750.1 KB 
ID:	168803

Name:	KPu96lZ.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	168804

Name:	12GlbKf.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	761.3 KB 
ID:	168805

Name:	xpzflaB.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	757.9 KB 
ID:	168806

Name:	ole5iWD.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	824.4 KB 
ID:	168810
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wTga9om.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	589.2 KB 
ID:	168808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YcswpFT.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	700.1 KB 
ID:	168807  
    Last edited by vanguard; Jun-23-2018 at 11:22am.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vanguard For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My New Northfield Artist 2A a Mind-blowing Success

Congrats! It’s a looker for sure, I have the older Master Model (not a Big Mon) from 2014 I just love...it’s my forever mando as well.

Like yourself I have played many, many mandos and just keep coming back to mine. A pro recently expressed interest and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it...no thank you was my reply.

Enjoy!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

What a beautiful mandolin and a neat story behind it - thank you for sharing it with us!

I love the tone and feel of the Northfield I recently purchased. Those guys are doing it right!
    Thanks for your story. Enjoy!

Flower Pot away if you so desire;I wouldn't. It looks perfect just like it is.

Very cool mandolin!

Are there any recording of this mando?

Blog Entries

One of the nicest NF I've seen. Congratulations. I really like the headstock as is. Flowerpot inlays are kinda cliche to my eye but have at it - it's your baby now!

Funny y'all mention liking it better without the inlay; I've been on the same page the last day or two. I was gonna have a particular flowerpot inlaid; one from a Loar-era F4 that is a little wonky in all the right ways for my tastes, but the more I thought about the risk of shipping it in the southern summer, having the mirror smooth varnish finish sanded off, hoping the inlay looked right, etc., etc., I think it's just not worth the risk. Leave well enough alone, they say.

I think I'm gonna get some real pearl tuner buttons, and a replica of the 1920s Gibson house-engraved truss cover to make it my own.

Here's a pic of the particular flowerpot I love:

And here's the truss cover I want replicated with my name in the same font. I'm such a huge fan of 20th century americana.

No audio clip as of yet. I'll try to get one recorded before I pack up for the big move to the mountains outside Asheville this weekend. Goodbye, Atlanta—and goodbye, traffic!

Ahhh, yes, Americana from way back in the 1900s, as my kids like to remind me I like that flower pot inlay as well, it’s really cool.

Congratulations on finding that NF. It looks great and is just a little different in all the right ways. Good luck on the move to Asheville! I’m near Charlotte but have some relatives in Asheville and was just there a couple of weeks ago. Great music scene there, James Condino’s stomping grounds, and it’s a little kooky, but in a good way. Only place I’ve ever been heckled for wearing a Johnny Cash t-shirt
    Chuck

vanguard,do you plan to go to any jams locally before you move?

I would even brave Hotlanta traffic to hear/see that mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    vanguard,do you plan to go to any jams locally before you move?

I would even brave Hotlanta traffic to hear/see that mandolin.
    Boy, there's gonna be a lot of packing today and tomorrow, but I could possibly sneak away for a show-and-tell at some point. I would of course expect to see one of yours as well!

I can bring along a '23 snakehead,Derrington F5,Monroe model Gibson.

I am about an hour South,in Eatonton.

My niece and her hubby live in Asheville. They love it. Kayaking,hiking,music scene etc.

Will send you a private message.