Thread: Opinion on cheap OM?

Default Opinion on cheap OM?

I found this interesting specimen surfing the interwebs and was wondering if it would be worth it. It has a suspiciously low price, but the design is interesting. Any opinions on the matter would be much appreciated.

https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/...tm#description

Default Re: Opinion on cheap OM?

I used to have one. Was OK but lacked complexity of tone. If you want to try the idea of an OM worth a punt but if you’re already convinced I’d save for something nicer sounding.

Very good for the price, and especially as it has all-solid top, back and sides. i have a friend who plays one of the Ozark bouzoukis and it is a good instrument. I like the zero fret configuration and the scale length too. I use both on my own builds and the 520mm scale is a bit easier to stretch if you are coming from a mandolin. As OCT says above, a good way of finding out whethr you wish to pursue the octave as a regular instrument - you can sell it on for not much loss if you decide octave-playing is for you and you want to upgrade later.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

It is made by Hora in Romania and sold under their own name and several other names, including Troubador and Ozark. They are fairly ubiquitous on eBay. You can get them direct from Hora but they inevitably need work. Eagle music says they will set up which is huge if they do it right. Some have reported that the tuning machines have problems, and can’t really be upgraded because the hole spacing isn’t standard. Some here have reported top sinkage over time. Some have reported that an improvement in tone was realized with a bridge upgrade. The standard bridge is actually a banjo bridge. Pretty much everyone reports being very satisfied with the workmanship overall. At the price it seems hard to go wrong, just be aware of the potential problems because if the top starts to sink, or the tuners stop holding, it just won’t be worth putting any money into for repairs. The cost of correcting either problem could easily end up exceeding the value of the instrument. But there are many here who report being quite satisfied with theirs.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Eagle Music will do a good set-up so you will get something to set you off effectively on your OM journey, before trading up (which will happen, be warned). Someone plays one of these in local sessions, a semi-pro musician, who could afford something 'better', so maybe this will keep you happy for some time.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Thanks for all the input! I might try it out, but since I live in the US, the shipping fees are a bit steep (like 200 dollars steep), which effectively doubles the price. But it would still probably be a decent deal. Is there anywhere I might be able to find them closer to home?

You're looking at about $410 (before duty/tariff), right? There are several on ebay for about $260 after shipping. That leaves plenty cabbage for a setup and some left over for something cold to drink while you play.

Trouble with starting off at this end of the market is that it may put you off playing OM. Set-up on a new instrument is inevitably an issue but, in my experience, Eagle music are a decent enough outfit to deal with. That said, how much set-up work could you actually do to one of these? The zero fret should mean that nothing will need to be done to the nut and I'd certainly like to get rid of the banjo bridge but it's a flat-top so an alternative shouldn't take much fitting. Unless it needs work to the frets; and it doesn't appear to have an adjustable truss rod, it shouldn't present much of a problem - although sending it back from the US wouldn't be an option if there was an issue.

Apparently you can buy this instrument here for $159 plus $80 shipping. Assume it's not set up, but if it's the same model, set-up would certainly be less than $100, especially as Ray points out that you're really talking about bridge height/location only.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I bought one from Thomann a while back. At the time, including shipping, it was ~$170. It looks like it's now ~$200. You won't have the setup or anything, but it's cheaper than your other options. It ships from Germany, so it'll be a while, but it's still only $35, and I recall the packaging being reasonable for the instrument. There's also a slightly more expensive option with a pickup, if you want. https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann...lin_m1087.html

I was happy with it for a while. After about a year, I started looking for an upgrade. Four months later, I had a (somewhat unconventional) upgrade and basically didn't touch it anymore. I eventually sold it to a friend. My take is that I definitely got my money's worth, but it was definitely not a forever instrument for me.

All I ever did was mess with bridge location, which was easy enough. I could see a bridge upgrade being worth it, but otherwise there's not much to set up. There wasn't a truss rod (though honestly it could have used one). The frets on mine were fine. A couple of the tuners were a little stiff, but nothing awful.

All in all, I'm very happy I had it, and I would definitely recommend it as a cheap starter instrument. But there's a reason it's cheaper than all the others, so don't expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewjeo View Post
    I bought one from Thomann a while back. At the time, including shipping, it was ~$170. It looks like it's now ~$200. You won't have the setup or anything, but it's cheaper than your other options. It ships from Germany, so it'll be a while, but it's still only $35, and I recall the packaging being reasonable for the instrument. There's also a slightly more expensive option with a pickup, if you want. https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann...lin_m1087.html

I was happy with it for a while. After about a year, I started looking for an upgrade. Four months later, I had a (somewhat unconventional) upgrade and basically didn't touch it anymore. I eventually sold it to a friend. My take is that I definitely got my money's worth, but it was definitely not a forever instrument for me.

All I ever did was mess with bridge location, which was easy enough. I could see a bridge upgrade being worth it, but otherwise there's not much to set up. There wasn't a truss rod (though honestly it could have used one). The frets on mine were fine. A couple of the tuners were a little stiff, but nothing awful.

All in all, I'm very happy I had it, and I would definitely recommend it as a cheap starter instrument. But there's a reason it's cheaper than all the others, so don't expect too much.
    What was your unconventional upgrade, just out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I'm hoping he says cybernetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I bought a guitar that had been modified into a five-string instrument, same tuning as a five course 'cello: CGDAE. I mess with the tuning a lot, too, mostly having it as either a bouzouki with a low D added (so DGDAD) or as a bouzouki tuned down a fifth, CGDGD. At some point I want to dig into Bach's Cello Suite No. 6 on it, since it was apparently written for a five-string cello you strap to your chest, so that'll bring it back to CGDAE for a while.

I'd like to get an OM/bouzouki again at some point, since it's really quite a different sound (and size), but that's more of an investment than I can responsibly make at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    I'm hoping he says cybernetics.
    Well, all that money I can't spend on a new OM has to be going somewhere, right?