Thread: Northfield Recurve case failure

Default Northfield Recurve case failure?

Ouch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-22-12-27-36-717_com.android.chrome.png 
Views:	908 
Size:	863.6 KB 
ID:	168790
    Says his new Northfield Recurve Airloom case failed resulting in a broken Mando neck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35972623_10104609127992543_3742603320271831040_o.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	168791

Official statement from Mandolin Cafe on this post:

This post contains factually erroneous information and violates Cafe forum posting guidelines, specifically, because the text used in the title and the quote is not true.

In the interest of leaving the information so that we are not accused of cover-up it is necessary we point out critical false information posted by the OP (original poster).

The owner of the mandolin never stated in the 8 days following the initial post that the case failed. Those are words by the individual that created the post and are created with no factual basis. The owner of the damaged mandolin posted one single time on a private Facebook page that is viewable only to members--the OP screen shot the information and posted it on the forum which in itself is inappropriate. Private forums are just for that purpose. The owner of the mandolin that was damaged did not post this information on his personal Facebook page, and there is no official record of the event even occurring other than here. In spite of being questioned repeatedly how the instrument was damaged the owner never replied, even once, yet continued to post after that date about various music topics.

The owner of the damaged instrument has not contacted Northfield Mandolins in regard to this.

It's for this reason we are declaring this post untrue, misleading, and potentially damaging to Northfield Mandolins, the seller of the case.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jun-30-2018 at 11:46am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield Recurve case failure

Well what exactly happened? Did the latches break while on a walk then mando came crashing out and down?

Blog Entries

Well... based on ONE picture, that picture shows one broken latch (out of three). I'm not suggesting that it didn't fail, but if the other two were (1) in working condition and (2) properly shut, it wouldn't result in that kind of damage. Lifting any case with the latches unfastened will result in a mandolin falling out.

We also have no details on how he treated his case prior to this incident, and what might have resulted in that one latch breaking.

That's also the worst break I've ever seen -- not that I've seen too many.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

"Late night Jam", elevation close to 9000 ft., mix in a little alcohol and those latches are bound to get brittle.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Maybe ran over? Dropped it while ziplining or something?

I'll post more info as it comes.
    I'm pretty sure the builder, local here to CO, will build him a new neck.

In regards to the case, I checked out the Northfield Airloom Recurve case and thought it was great looking and well built, but didn't seem to offer more protection than any other foam case like Travelite or Gator. Not sure it is up to the rigors of the road, just the same as Travelite. Fiberglass or carbon fiber is the way to go if you travel frequently with your mandolin

Wow. Just...wow. This post made me immediately go in a look over the Airloom (not the Recurve) case that my F5S came in. I mean...I get it...anything can happen but I can't freaking imagine the kind of abuse you'd have to subject that case to to produce damage of that magnitude while the mandolin was still housed in the case. And, like others have posted, the picture just shows a failed latch and a single failed latch is not going to result in the mandolin being dumped out on the ground? Bottom line, there's a lot about this event we don't know and I highly suspect that what we don't know is really what would tell the story! Any way you cut it, it's a damn shame; that's for sure and I'm sure sorry it happened.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

9. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

That looks like a "whiplash" break to me, where the case hit hard, possibly with considerable speed. The case stops, but the headstock of the instrument inside the case wants to keep moving and it breaks. There's also suspiciously short grain at the break. I wonder if the choice of that particular piece neck stock was partly at fault?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:

Says his new Northfield Recurve Airloom case failed resulting in a broken Mando neck.

We will need more detail here; hopefully, we'll get it. But...right off the bat, there is a large discrepancy, which is highlighted in the quoted text. Those are 2 different cases. The picture of the clasp looks like the Recurve, not the Airloom.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post

We will need more detail here; hopefully, we'll get it. But...right off the bat, there is a large discrepancy, which is highlighted in the quoted text. Those are 2 different cases. The picture of the clasp looks like the Recurve, not the Airloom.
    Northfield calls it the Airloom "Recurve"
    https://www.northfieldinstruments.co...irloom-recurve

I'll be sure to provide more info as it comes. I'm guessing that the owner is out enjoying the Telluride Bluegrass Festival at the moment and not glued to their FB account.

Agreed that it is sad to see an instrument come apart in any way. Anyhow, just as a reminder, no matter the case, high speed impact is not good for your instruments! Be careful people!

I’m not digging the latches on mine. They were the reason I passed the Jakob Winter fiddle cases by.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Seems unfair to Northfield to post this without more information.

I see a picture with one broken latch. This wouldn’t cause a mandolin to fall out of a case; I’m sure we’ve all bumped a latch open or damaged a latch without causing catastrophic damage... I know I have.

Was the latch defective or did this person cause the damage? The post gives no information, so I don’t think it’s fair to label this thread “Northfield Case Failure”

So easy to damage someone’s reputation on-line.... and Northfield, one of the most reputable companies on the Cafe, doesn’t deserve that unless there is actual proof that the case failed.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jstring For This Useful Post:

The latches are not the best design, and you can be fooled into thinking they are engaged, so I double and triple check they are actually engaged before picking up the case. To Northfield’s credit they disclose and emphasize how they work. They are plastic with a fold-over design. When you engage them, you need to make sure the latch catches. However, if you bump the case around, I’m not sure how much wear and tear they will be able to take.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mod - Feel free to change title if you wish

The airlines have proven that you can destroy instruments in anything from a gig bag to a Calton. I truly hate it for the guy whose mandolin is busted. That had to be a sickening moment of realization, and I hope he’ll be able to get a replacement neck that suits him well. That said, I agree that more detail is needed before judgement is passed on that case line. Was it purely case failure, or was there some operator error, too? Not intending to pass judgement either way, we just need more info...
    Chuck

I have no problems with my latches, i am curious to hear the whole story.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

21. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

OK, it's his prerogative to offer his experience with the case the same way it's Pete Martin's prerogative to mention that his scroll broke off in a Calton. It's one person's experience, that's all and shouldn't be slammed because you think the case is nice. It doesn't ruin anybody's reputation. This stuff happens. There will be a hundred folks that never have a problem.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    OK, it's his prerogative to offer his experience with the case the same way it's Pete Martin's prerogative to mention that his scroll broke off in a Calton. It's one person's experience, that's all and shouldn't be slammed because you think the case is nice. It doesn't ruin anybody's reputation. This stuff happens. There will be a hundred folks that never have a problem.
    Fair enough, no argument... Just to clarify why this thread bothers me: In Pete’s case, it actually happened to him. In this case, we’re discussing an unsubstantiated report from social media- it wasn’t the OP’s case or mandolin.

And you’re right, I’m sure Northfield will survive.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Perssonally - I fail to see how the failure of only a single latch could be the cause of such damage !. Now if the case had been dropped (?) damaging both the mandolin & the latch at the same time,i can see that happening,but to break the neck in such a way would take a lot of force - was it sat on ???,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Social media is a double-edged sword. It’s a great (and fairly inexpensive) way to advertise, but it also allows customers and prospective customers to voice their opinions and share their experiences with a vast audience.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    Fair enough, no argument... Just to clarify why this thread bothers me: In Pete’s case, it actually happened to him. In this case, we’re discussing an unsubstantiated report from social media- it wasn’t the OP’s case or mandolin.

And you’re right, I’m sure Northfield will survive.
    Somebody felt strongly enough about something to create that post and show their damaged instrument. The Cafe isn't the only venue in this world. We post stories about airlines destroying instruments all the time. I doubt we've had one that was posted by the victim. If we are going to start not believing things like this let's start with those airline stories. We believe those because we want to but suddenly this isn't ok because we think the company is upstanding. I'm pretty sure the guy with the broken instrument felt strongly enough to make that post. Why do we feel the need to assassinate his character?

Carry on.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-23-2018 at 6:51am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

28. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

As a community we can do better. The titling of this thread makes me sad. It was irresponsible and made without a single simple fact about what really occurred.

I've never wanted this forum to be "shoot first and ask questions later," but that's exactly what happened. How then is this collective space any better than the very worst social media has to offer? Answer, in this case, it's no better. We are the problem.

That original information was made on a small, private Facebook group that is not open to the public unless you ask to join. The owner of the instrument did not put the information on his personal page. The information was carried here and posted with a titillating question that may not even be related to the instrument's ruin. We don't know, but the suggested accusation now lives.

What kind of blunt force trauma severs the neck off an instrument? How does a rivet get bent? Apparently some of you see no problem creating instant bait for the internet that was on the major search engines 5 minutes after the opening post and will remain for months. Sorry, asking "mods" to change the title is cover-up. Not taking the fall for your mistake. Something tells me there's a lot more to the story. But that's the risk of being in this business. Hey, it's no big deal, right?

So that I don't make this a discussion about what's right and what's not on the internet I'm going to close this with my comment intact. Do me a real big favor. Do NOT contact me in regard to this. But I would ask that some of you look at this with a reasonable eye and try to learn from it.

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked