Thread: Mandolin from New Zealand.

Default Mandolin from New Zealand.

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to Davy Stuart new creation a Mando with Tasmanian Oak back and sides, Spruce top,Mahogany neck, while fingerboard ,bridge, bindings and head with Indian rosewood.Will try it out next week to judge the sound quality .In the meantime does anyone know the type of sound that these woods will attain?Notice that the bridge is fixed any disadvantage there.The tailpiece and tuners are gold ones.Anyone know what brand these are?Would compare this one to a Eastman MD 515.and go with the one that please me the best.Any thoughts on a custom made Mando versus an Eastman MD 515......preferences....? thank you guys for your contribution:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Tan

Default Re: Mandolin from New Zealand.

That link doesn't allow me access, even though I have a Facebook account.

Unless you try a bowlback, you will not find an instrument more different from an Eastman F model (with f-holes). Drawing a comparison will be pointless.

But if I had a choice between a custom-built work of art from Davy Stuart or an Eastman, the latter wouldn't have a chance of being selected. Then again, I don't play bluegrass. The flat-top oval-hole mandolin of Mr Stuart is usually the choice of players whose main musical genre is Irish/Traditional. The round hole gives a lot of sustain. I've never played a Stuart, but I did sample a Jimmy Moon oval in a shop in Scotland that was of similar specs to the ones on Davy Stuart's website, and it was amazingly loud.

I am struck by how economical the Davy Stuart mandolins are. Custom, hand-made oval-holes for under US$1000? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    That link doesn't allow me access, even though I have a Facebook account. ...
    I can't see anything at that link either, although for a different reason - I do *not* use Facebook nor do I ever have any intention of doing so. Guess we just won't know what we're missing.

Blog Entries

Looking at his website, it looks like his mandolins are flat topped and backed oval hole mandolins. This is MY preferred style. This will not sound like an Eastman arch topped/back mandolin with ff holes. Given my preferences I would spend the $NZ1450 on the Stuart over the $1000+ on the Eastman (and I own and like Eastman mandolins).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

thank you for the feedback.

Hi there Ron,

the Davy mandolin has f holes ,it`s not an oval.Good for fiddle tunes and old time music?

Here is a link to Davy website.

http://www.stuart.co.nz/pagex.asp?bioid=4239

The new mandolin is exactly similar in construction to the one in the photo, the only difference is the woods in mention above and the f hole design.My question still stands would this mandolin be adequate for the style of music in my genre? Again repeating the combination woods, the mandolin has Tasmania Oak for back and sides, and Spruce top.thank you all.

here is a link to the standard and combination woods:

http://www.stuart.co.nz/pagex.asp?bioid=4221

Tan in Oz.
    Last edited by KoalaBear; Jun-22-2018 at 3:49pm.

The question is, then, how about a mandolin not much like this one, made of different woods?

I'm afraid I have no idea how well-suited to instrument-making Tasmanian oak might be, but I do think I'd have every confidence in a luthier of Mr Stuart's reputation choosing good woods.

Eastman mandolins are fine instruments built in a small factory, but a custom-made Stuart is a one-luthier instrument that would still appeal to me much more. I don't play bluegrass, but I would expect an f-hole Stuart to sound great for that, or any other, style of music.

I believe the tuners are Gotoh minis. So long as they are the Korean-made versions, not the inferior-quality Chinese-made ones, they are excellent tuners, in many ways superior to the four-in-a-plate tuners that appear on most mandolins.

Thank you...... may purchase this one.

Ron

Davy says `the tuners are from Japan.`