Thread: Northfield Lovers

Default Northfield Lovers

Bought a set of Grovers with Mike Blohm tuners buttons on Cafe and put them on my Northfield Big Mon F5. Pretty !!

One small issue is that one of the buttons has a rivet in it and can not come off. I'd love to find just one of the buttons so I could perhaps take them off and put them on the original tuners which were nickel. Someone suggested they were all different so maybe that wouldn't work but anyone with info please let me know and I'd be very thankful.

Jimmy Powells

UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2885.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	168778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2887.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	168777  
    Last edited by jimmy powells; Jun-21-2018 at 3:20pm. Reason: Typing errors

Default Re: Northfiel Lovers

Sorry I can't help with the request for advice, Jimmy, but that's a lovely mandolin - and the tuners look great.

Smile Re: Northfiel Lovers

Hi Ron. Good to hear from you. I must say that I may have been lucky with the BigMon F5. I bought it unseen and USED from Tamco in Brighton. It's just tremendous in every aspect.

Does all you ask of it. I feel as if I can't imagine a mandolin giving more and it's great for Italian style, bluegrass, whatever.
    Sounds like a strong statement but I just feel it's the best one that's ever come out of their factory. Very slightly chunkier neck than my mates Big Mon from same year (2016). I think the chunkier neck gives it depth. Back and neck are absolutely beautiful yet understated. i.e. Doesn't need massive stripey flamed maple to give it class.

Wouldn't swap it for anything. Went to see a Steve Carlson signed 1990 Gibson F5L the other day. I've always fancied one of these. It was really good I have to say but not as deep and full as the Big Mon. Fingerboard extension wasn't scooped but even if it was, it's still way too long.

Otherwise MINT CONDITION and someone will love that one. Tamco in Brighton.

Those tuner buttons look great,even if they are a bit of an anachronism(teens-looking product on a modern mando).
    Even Big Mon hisself tried
    out a set(original Handels),I think, on his #1.

Hoping there is a Northfield artist model out there for me. Pretty sure I could love one.
    Do not desire a chunky neck though. Narrow and thin for me,please.

PS:29 frets/extended Florida fretboard is an impediment to picking IMHO. As much potential trouble as
    an appendix.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    PS:29 frets/extended Florida fretboard is an impediment to picking IMHO. As much potential trouble as
    an appendix.
    Sig worthy, V70416. I guffawed.

OP: I'm not surprised your Northfield is blowing your hair back. I recently acquired an Artist 2A that has me ecstatic. I too had the feeling I got that special one-in-a-million, but I think Northfield has simply done massive research, and quantified much of their findings so that consistently stellar instruments are the norm. I have (and have had) dozens of drool-worthy instruments in my studio, early 60s Teles, early 50s Gretsches, 30s Gibsons and Martins, etc., but this Northfield is the first instrument I've had that feels like an extension of my artistic center. I'd love to see more pics of your Mon.

Anyway, I'm sure you could contact Mike about that one button; his email is easy to find if you do a search here. Congrats on the Big Mon!

From Jimmy Powells - " Went to see a Steve Carlson signed 1990 Gibson F5L the other day.". That was this one. I'd considered buying it,but then decided not to,so e-mailed another UK Cafe member. A day later & it was gone. I have 3 terrific mandolins,which almost never see outside of my practice room. I thought that it would be a shame to confine a nice Gibson in the same way.

That Northfield looks lovely. I've often wondered why so many come up for sale 'used'. If they're good enough for players such as Adam Steffey & Emory Lester,what were their owners looking for ?,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1990 Gibson F5L (2).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	168908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1990 Gibson F5L (4).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	168909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1990 Gibson F5L (1).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	168910
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Jimmy Powells - [I]

That Northfield looks lovely. I've often wondered why so many come up for sale 'used'. If they're good enough for players such as Adam Steffey & Emory Lester,what were their owners looking for ?,
    Ivan
    ]
    I don't notice any more for sale than any of the other major players' instruments. Looking here, Reverb, Ebay, etc., I see a small grip of Northfield, Ellis, Weber, Collings, etc. for sale used—none really seeming more plentiful than the others. I have a pretty good pulse on the market recently because I've spent the last few months watching for the right used instrument from brands with offerings in this price point.

vanguard,your search was mighty productive;finding that used Northfield(a beauty!) Would love to hear a recording of that particular Northfield.

Vanguard - I wasn't comparing 'quantities' as such,more that Northfield mandolins actually do come up for sale at all, when they're supposed to be 'that' good - which i believe they may very well be. Unfortunately,my nearest Northfield stockist is 280 miles away !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Northfield Lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Vanguard - I wasn't comparing 'quantities' as such,more that Northfield mandolins actually do come up for sale at all, when they're supposed to be 'that' good - which i believe they may very well be. Unfortunately,my nearest Northfield stockist is 280 miles away !,
    Ivan
    Ahhh, gotcha. I blame MAS.