Thread: Hi all! New to the Forum!

Default Hi all! New to the Forum!

Hi all!

I've been a lurker for a year or two. I am a long time guitar player that has been wanting to get into mandolin. One of my local music stores carries some mandolins, so I went to give them a try. They carried Eastman, and they had a used Breedlove Quartz. I couldn't get along w/ the Eastmans. It was just way too cramped on the fretboard. I liked the Breedlove, but they wanted an exorbitant sum of money for a used Quartz (and it, too, was cramped, but not as much as the Eastmans). I was a little disappointed w/ how the mandolins felt (coming from guitar). For kicks, I pulled down a banjo. It felt much better! I ended up picking up a Gold Tone OT800 and taught myself some clawhammer. I just couldn't get the idea of mandolin out of my head. The sound was haunting to me. I added a '50s Gibson tenor banjo which got me thinking even more about the mandolin. All this time, I was lurking here, pretending my tenor banjo was a mandolin, lol! I couldn't keep away from the Cafe classifieds! I admit; I'm a USA instrument snob (despite my good experience w/ Gold Tone). I tried to buy a couple of less expensive American made mandolins through the classifieds, but I was always just a little too late. There was one, in particular, a Redline Traveler Deluxe, that I just missed. The seller offered a trial period to the purchaser, and he said that he would contact me if the sale fell through or it was returned. No luck. Then, a couple of months later, the same mandolin popped up on the classifieds again! And it was pretty much in my back yard! I contacted the seller, and wouldn't you know it, it was already verbally spoken for. The seller said he'd get back to me if the verbal commitment fell through. The next day, he texted me saying that it was available. As it was so close, I was able to play it before I purchased, and I didn't have the issues I had when I tried the Eastmans. I'm not sure if I was getting used to shorter scale and thinner neck from the tenor banjo or not, but it wasn't bad. And that sound! That was what I was looking to hear! I have been teaching myself mandolin now for a month or two and really enjoying it. I can get through a few fiddle tunes (the tenor banjo stuff crosses over well), and I am having a blast.

As firm believer in all the different acquisition syndromes, I still check the classifieds and ebay pretty much daily. A couple of days ago, a Breedlove American K was listed on ebay w/ a standing low bid of $499. I watched it thinking that if it didn't get too high, I might hazard a bid. Ten minutes before the auction's end, it was still at $499. What the heck, I placed a $550 bid in the last few seconds and got it for $530! It was a total impulse bid, and I regretted it immediately (just because I would have to tell my wife, and the money would have to come out of a growing new motorcycle fund). It has the original case, looks to be in pretty good shape, and comes w/ an easily removable pickup. As I had a pretty good experience w/ an old Breedlove Quartz, I am really looking forward to adding an arch-top oval hole to my pancake Traveler (provided it ends up being in good shape and all that...).

After I "won" the Breedlove, and now having two mandolins (once the Breedlove gets here), I figured it was time to join the Cafe! I want to thank all the members for all the information I gleaned as a lurker over the past year or two, and I am looking forward to now being a participant! I can't wait to get my hands on that Breedlove!

Rich

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogrich For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hi all! New to the Forum!

Decent price on the Breedlove. Welcome to the Cafe!
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

4. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Welcome. I have two Breedloves, US-made. Love 'em both.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

6. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

You couldn't play that motorcycle anyway.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Welcome aboard. Tell your wife you're being economical. Strings are cheaper thsn gas.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

10. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Welcome to the Cafe'! There is a lot to learn from on here! Have fun on your journey!

12. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. Have fun learning our favorite instrument.

14. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Welcome!

You may find that there are more than a few on the forum who jump back and forth between mandolin and guitar [and many other instruments having different scale lengths and neck widths]. You'll get used to it.

Relax and enjoy - this is a welcoming and knowledgeable community on a well-run website.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

16. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Hello and Welcome to the Café! Nice story you told, very relatable
    Seems you have IAS (Instrument acquisition syndrom) ;-)
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

18. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

It takes a while to adjust from guitar to mandolin. You have to approach the strings from an angle, not 90 degrees like on a guitar. You also come down more on the tip of your fingers. If you are pressing with your guitar calloused finger, you are slightly off. I had to build callous slightly more on the fingertip.

I guess it's too late to warn you about MAS.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

20. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Thanks all!

As a lurker, this forum has been a great resource for information and inspiration.

FranklintonBill

I just took a grand out of my motorcycle fund for a new mando...worth it!!!
    2018 Big Muddy Mandolin M11
    Who cares Rogue 100a or something

23. The following members say thank you to FranklintonBill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FranklintonBill View Post
    I just took a grand out of my motorcycle fund for a new mando...worth it!!!
    Thanks for that. As it may be a little while before I have it in my hands, I'm questioning my decision and impulsiveness.

I do have the Traveler on the mando side and a not-so-vintage Triumph for my two-wheeling excursions; I can't really complain...
    Breedlove American "K" (2013)
    Redline Traveler Deluxe (2014)
    Gibson TB-1 (1954)
    Gold Tone OT-800 (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogrich View Post
    Thanks for that. As it may be a little while before I have it in my hands, I'm questioning my decision and impulsiveness.

I do have the Traveler on the mando side and a not-so-vintage Triumph for my two-wheeling excursions; I can't really complain...
    I got a great buy on my Breedlove. But not as good as you got. Great mandolin and if you played guitar you'll likely like the wider neck. 1 3/16".
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"