Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six hour road trip!

Default Six hour road trip!

Looking at a 6+ hour cruise (1way), New pair of “Stanley Brothers” and the John Duffey “Epilogue” CD should arrive before departure. If you’ve read my posts, you likely see where my BG flag waves.
    I’ve got a one way solo so, I can have “deep roots” for myself. The return, shared space, and conversation. What are your “Road Tunes”? Blues and soul/R&B not outside the realm of “Driveable Music” either.
    I’ve got a couple of weeks so, there’s time for some purchases, maybe.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Default Re: Six hour road trip!

One of my favorite driving records

Have a great trip!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Anything by John Prine.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I did a 12 hour drive last week. Doc Watson, Tim O'Brien, Sam Bush & Grisman, Tiny Moore & Jethro, Stanley Brothers kept me good company.

Recently got a new Doc Watson set: Never The Same Way Once. Bear's Sonic Journals, 94 tracks from a live 4 night set at The Boarding House, 1974.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Little Grascals, Ethan Setiwan, Dan Crary, Chance McCory, Casey Driessen,
    I'll mail you my CD for $7.50 (the Bridger Creek Boys) Benevolence St. Blues( High Mountain Hard Drivin Bluegrass) pm me!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

When I am on a long road trip I take the Doc Watson Legacy 3 cd set. The first two are an interview with Doc about his life and music. He talks and plays through it. The last is a concert cd.

I can't get enough of Doc Watson's music. Would much rather watch him play, though.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

I listen to alot of XM radio. Nice to hear stuff I dont have or that is new...or old

Leo Kottke 6 & 12 string Guitar (aka The Armadillo album)
    Joe B

10. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

I may snag some from my banjo player too, he’s got stuff I don’t have. I need more Doc Watson!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Tim, If you had a satellite radio you would have bluegrass (or so they call it) all the way going and coming on your trip...

My vehicle also has about 12 CDs stashed in the glove compartment for me to listen to and sing along with while I am on a long drive...Maybe I should send you one of my band so you can "really enjoy" the trip...Lol

Willie

13. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I had satellite radio and didn’t find it worth it, it was too much money for too many repeats and not enough of the classics in my opinion. I gave that up. The “new” Stanley Brothers sets, Complete Mercury and Columbia recordings along with a few others will probably get me there and back. Wife will tire of the Stanley’s on the way back so, I’ll grab some B.B.King, and Clapton for the return trip when she cry’s “Uncle”.
    Oh, I should take “High, Wide and, Handsome” too! I’ll think of your ancestor when I listen to that one Willie!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Eric Calpton & JJ Cale "Road To Escondido" - wonderful music, not only for driving!
    Apart from that, everything one likes ;-)
    For staying awake: Bill Monroe "Two days at Newport", some really "hard" BG, but soo great, with smoking hot melodic banjo breaks from Bill Keith...
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

16. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

Old and in the Way, Bromberg "Midnight on the Water", John Hartford various CDs, "Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark", Bela Fleck "Tales from Acoustic Planet"
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Martin, I LOVE that album! It’s on my flash drive that I can pump through the car so that’s already going,
    Don’t have the “Newport” album, and you mean “Brad” (“only one Bill in this band son”)
    I’ve got some of just about everything mentioned above on the drive but, I’ve been listening to that a lot since most radio basically leaves me cold.

Thanks everyone, when a had a six hour drive to when I was visiting my Mom in Pittsburgh I ran through the bulk of the Lonesome River Band first six discs. When that ran out, “Special Consensus’s” Everything’s Alright cd would run three or four times through! I realized I was still interested in that after it dawned on me that I’d put it in after a coffee drainage stop in Ohio and didn’t stop singing along until I turned off the tollway at “Howe” to turn up to Kalamazoo! It must have played five times, talk about a band! Don’t get me wrong, the current lineup is great but, that band had “something” for me. As usual, it’s because I’ve known Greg for a long time and had met all those guys a couple of times with enough time to have a little fun with them.
    Greg has an open invitation for dinner anytime he’s passing down I-94!
    Now I’m just babbling, do some dishes!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Hi Tim - I don't drive,but my wife does. We love to listen to 'road music' but for me,Bluegrass gets a tad too frantic - i'd be looking out for the cops chasing us !. Easy listening 'sort of' music does it for us - anything by Eagles / Poco / Manassas & such,go down well. What car are you driving that accepts a Flash Drive ?. We have a one week old Ford Kuga,who's CD player will play MP3s on CD (as did our previous Ford 'Focus'). I can get close to 140 music tracks on one CD,but on a Flash Drive,where i back up all my music,i've got well over 1200 tracks. I wish the music system in the Kuga would take a Flash Drive - as it must have an MP3 player ,why not ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Good morning Ivan,
    The car is a 2017 KIA Sportage, I was king of surprised that it would read a flash drive too. It will also accept all kinds of “USB” connected devices, it knows more about all that than I ever will but, I’ve got a fairly large drive with music on it and it’s really nice to not have to listen to jockey foolishness or droning about whatever. It will also shuffle so, the “playlist” isn’t cast in electronic stone, I generally run it in shuffle mode but, if I catch an album that I want I can listen to the whole thing then it goes on to the next and so on.
    The vehicle has been fabulous, my old Dodge stratus, was going to need a $1500 clutch so, there was the impetus for the ride of pride which has been great in crappy winter Michigan weather as well as ice cold AC for the 90+ day’s we’ve already had this summer.
    I like it for the most part. Just turned 10K Miles this week, don’t really drive as much as I used to. Good lease deal
    Timothy F. Lewis

21. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Hi Tim - I was surprised that my wife's Ford Focus would read MP3s on a CD. Her new car,a Ford Kuga does the same. Having put an MP3 player in the sytem,why not fit a USB port for a flash drive ?. We changed her car last week,because my lower back pain was making getting in & out of such a low car very difficult. The Kuga is 8" higher & i can get in with ease.

We're off to an annual American car show next Sat.,i'll be taking a few Bluegrass CDs with me. Sitting in the car with the doors open,playing some good Bluegrass nearly always attracts like minded visitors,
    Ivan
    PS - A a matter of fact,it was seeing a Kia SUV that made me think of getting one. It was the fact that my wife's Ford Focus played MP3s,that we went for another Ford. What did we miss - a USB port !!!.
    This one like my wife's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford Kuga - Ginger Ale colour.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	168821
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

23. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I recently got some of the Bill Monroe box sets and listen to them on road trips and early morning golf when I’m out there by myself. We have satellite radio but I’ve discovered that there’s a lot of repetition on the channels when you tune in for 6-8 hours at a time.

I saw in another thread you got the Stanley Bros collections, I’ll have to get those as well. I’m fairly new to Monroe, Stanley Bros, Flatt and Scruggs and like the box sets or collections that are available.

I especially like the BM Castle Studio set released recently, the multiple takes are fun to listen to, my current fav is the intro to New Muleskinner Blues...who hasn’t had an intro get away from them?

Safe travels!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

25. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

The Stanley Bros. CDs that i have are all their old stuff going back to 1950 - 56(ish). Terrific songs & comprising many that they re-recorded later in their career,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

27. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Martin, I LOVE that album! It’s on my flash drive that I can pump through the car so that’s already going,
    Don’t have the “Newport” album, and you mean “Brad” (“only one Bill in this band son”)
    Nice to hear that ;-)
    Yes, you're right, Bill keeps calling him "Brad" throughout the recording... But as long there's no other Bill available I know Brad as bill, so I tend to stick with that
    Is it really so that Bill (Monroe) didn't want to have another Bill in his Band?
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

29. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ohrt View Post
    Is it really so that Bill (Monroe) didn't want to have another Bill in his Band?
    Del tells the story ...

https://youtu.be/JFrMXMuql0Q?t=2m39s
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Jun-26-2018 at 9:26am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

31. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

It cracks me up to know that “we” all get the joke and so many folks have NO clue! I’ve told the story to a few people and they always laugh.
    Just read the manual for the radio in the KIA, it apparently DOES have mp3 compatibility, Yippee!
    Timothy F. Lewis

33. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Johnson Mtn Boys, Alan Munde Festival Favorites, Pikelny plays Baker plays Monroe, Django, Don Steirnberg, Red Knuckles and assorted gospel tunes for harmony singalongs.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Hey Mark, the package arrived today! I think I have a nice spread of tunes to get me to the cottage or most anywhere a days drive now!
    Thanks,
    T
    Timothy F. Lewis

36. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: