Thread: Olympia Washington

Default Olympia Washington

I didn't see anyone in the south Puget sound area on here but I am sure there are other players around here. There must be...

Default Re: Olympia Washington

Hey there, I live in Oly and play as well. I mostly play celtic stuff on OM but know a lot of other tunes and have a plethora of other acoustic instruments. Ive been contemplating trying to start a celtic jam session in the area but have been too distracted to really make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by einsamkristall View Post
    ... Ive been contemplating trying to start a celtic jam session in the area but have been too distracted to really make it happen.
    There used to be (maybe still are?) Irish sessions at:

1. O'Blarney's pub on the east side of Olympia. If I recall correctly, it was on Tuesdays at 7:00 pm. I don't see it listed on their website, but it never was listed on their website before, either. I suppose a phone call to them would yield more info.

2. Tugboat Annie's, on the west side.

Don't know if either of those sessions are still active.

We went there just to listen, not to play. So the following observations are from the audience/customer point of view.

Tugboat Annies had a loud and extremely talkative audience who drowned out the musicians. We we sitting only halfway across the room from the musicians but could barely hear the music at all, which kinda sucked because the only reason we went to a place like that (somewhat up-scale and high-priced compared to what we're used to) was to hear some music. Don't know if the musicians were any 'good' or not because the music was almost inaudible. However, the service (waitperson) was excellent, no complaints in that category. But the inability to hear the music meant that we haven't bothered to go back. I don't know if it's always like that.

O'Blarney's audience was always much more well-behaved and they weren't running their mouths the entire time, so we could hear the music and it sounded pretty good, some excellent musicians there. We also liked the before-7pm $3 taco special. The service (waitresses) always seemed friendly. Easier parking. And restrooms seemed more convenient and, at least when we were there, well maintained.

Presumably someone else here has more info as to whether either/both of those sessions are still active.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

What kind of music do you play? What is your skill level?
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Tugboat Annie's and O'Blarney's in Olympia are still listed as active, at least as of a year ago on the session.org list. Maps and website links here:

https://thesession.org/sessions/57

https://thesession.org/sessions/1656

6. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post: