Thread: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge Mandolin Resale

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge Mandolin Resale

I’m sorry but I couldn’t help posting this under General Mandolin Discussions. There’s probably a few folks who don’t visit the Builders and Repair posts and I just felt that they needed to know about the resale of the Mandolin Café Restoration Challenge Mandolin and the history behind it. It’s a great opportunity to get a great “community built” mandolin. But this opportunity ends tomorrow!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...19#post1660919

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124940#124940

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124940.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	168759

NFI

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge Mandolin Resale

If I had the funds, I'd give it a great deal of consideration! I am in the process of saving for an oval hole... I saw it in the Classifieds and read through about 1/2 of the original thread.... Cool stuff!!!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

4. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Default Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge Mandolin Resale

This mandolin is now in the hands of a new custodian/owner. After a couple of false starts a transaction was completed and I can proudly say that this mandolin has now generated another $500, donated to Scott and the Cafe. The new owner had this to say regarding the mandolin, and it's creators :

"I appreciate your generosity in buying it and supporting the Mandolin Cafe, and also your generosity in passing the mandolin along to me. I am also glad the Mandolin Cafe is getting another donation as a consequence of it. As a long-time lurker on Mandolin Cafe, I had followed the story of the mandolin with great interest. It was inspiring to see the effort, personal care, and enthusiasm of the talented folks who restored the mandolin. I particularly enjoyed hearing modern experts discuss the work of the Gibson shop, then restore and reinterpret it in ways that enhanced but respected the original construction. What a pleasure it is to have it in-hand and see the results of that work!

I will be using it to play English Country dance music for our monthly dances, Contra dance music (mostly open bands), Irish sessions, and Old Time. It might get some use for Scottish and Scandinavian music, but I usually play fiddle for them. I’m expecting that I will not be bringing it to a lot of jams and sessions, as they are risky places for instruments, but it will be getting out for performances and other playing. "

Thanks to all those contributing luthiers, and to Scott for all he has done for the mandolin world. May this mandolin continue to contribute in the years ahead.
    John D

6. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post: