Thread: Deciding on my first mandolin, focusing on classical/old-time

Default Deciding on my first mandolin, focusing on classical/old-time

Hey everyone, I have experience playing guitar and have messed around with the mandolin before and want to get into it more seriously. I'm going to be signing up for lessons and I'll be focusing mostly on classical and old-time/swing. With that, I think I want a flattop style mandolin (and I just love the sound of the flattops).

I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed it down between the Big Muddy M-11, Howard Morris flattop oval hole, or the Red Valley EM. If anyone can give some insight on how these compare to each other, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Default Re: Deciding on my first mandolin, focusing on classical/old-time

Flattops are lovely and I really like my Mid-Missouri (the old company name for Big Muddy), but I'm curious as to why you have picked specifically the M-11 in your list? That's the all-mahogany model, which is very untypical for mandolins in general and it produces a very untypical tone -- very pleasant to play and listen to, but maybe not as versatile as a spruce top and certainly not as bright. For classical, you may prefer one of their spruce-top models. I have the old M-0W (spruce top, mahogany back), which has great flattop tone and volume -- it's at its best playing Latin, jazz, European folk and early/renaissance music, with a somewhat lute-like tone. For lead parts in baroque, classical and romantic music, I prefer a vintage bowlback which has a sharper attack, brighter tone and less sustain.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Flattops are lovely and I really like my Mid-Missouri (the old company name for Big Muddy), but I'm curious as to why you have picked specifically the M-11 in your list? ...
    I was thinking the mahogany model mostly because of the darker/deeper tones.

However, I actually talked with Howard Morris today and decided to buy his flattop that he had for sale on the classifieds. It has a Sitka spruce top with Maple back/sides and a Bocote fretboard and bridge. He played it for me while on the phone and it sounded great (he was also a pleasure to talk to). The image attached is the one I bought.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125569.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	168767

I feel like I made the right decision as a first mandolin and I'm hoping it'll be versatile enough to explore a wide range of mandolin playing. Thoughts?

4. The following members say thank you to rolkinn for this post:

Dave Sheets

Classy looking mandolin there.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

You made a great choice with the Morris. I am unsure of the 2 other builders and I am sure they great. I own a carved Morris and played several of his instruments when visiting him. I can confidently say he builds high quality instruments.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I've never been fond of the flattop look, but that one is gorgeous.I'd definitely consider it if I were in the market
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

That is one nice looking flattop!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks all. I'm really excited to get into the world of mandolins. If anyone reading this post has pics of other Morris flattops, I'd love to see them.

rolkinn: classical, and Bach in particular, is what I play on mandolin. I have a Collings MT and an MT-O which both sound great when playing Bach. Chris Thile plays the hell out of the Bach repertoire on a Gibson F-style (granted, of course, it's a Lloyd Loar). So the bottom line is there's no law that you can or can't play classical on just about any mando style.

Here's a photo of my MT-O which I purchase about a year back from Northern Lights Music. The thing about the Collings mandolins is that they hold their value. I decided to buy this one new and, although I know there's a depreciation from "new" to "used", I'm pretty confident that if I ever decide to part with this one I can recoup a good percent of my investment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collings MTO honey amber.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	554.3 KB 
ID:	168816

FranklintonBill

I just received my M11 Big Muddy, and I love it! Pic is on the forum around the beginning of this month. It plays wonderfully, and sounds beautiful. Bill Monroe wouldn't approve, but Bach would.
    2018 Big Muddy Mandolin M11
    Who cares Rogue 100a or something

CF Martin's mandolins have not inflated in price as Gibson's of a similar age have...

Martian's flat backs may satisfy both.. they made bowl backs, too.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Congrats on the new Morris, it's a beauty! When you feel confident in your playing, I'd love to hear it in action. I hope you enjoy it for years to come!