Thread: Weber Models

Default Weber Models

I have looked for information about the different Weber model specs without much success. I think the Gallatin is an entry level. And, I think the Yellowstone may be the top tier model? What about the others, i.e. Bitteroot, Absaroka,etc? Any help figuring them out is appreciated.

Default Re: Weber Models

This is on the Cafe main page right now. Lots of info about the current models: https://webermandolins.com/images/up...CATALOG_LR.pdf

3. The following members say thank you to vetus scotia for this post:

I'm a bit of a new comer to the Weber world and was looking for info myself a few years back. The models and some of the details of construction have varied over the years but you're right, the Gallatin was & is their entry level & Yellowstone seems to be a couple steps up from that. I have a catalog, from 2014 I think. Anyway, I was told it was the last printed catalog they produced. It lists in order, Gallatin, Bitterroot, Yellowstone, Black Ice & Diamondback models, Rawhide, Vintage, River & Fern. If there's anything from that year in particular that interests you I could relay the info from the catalog. I suppose models from a few years previous were probably pretty similar. These were produced in Bend though not Montana.

5. The following members say thank you to THart for this post:

Mando family pricing pages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180618_214239.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	168711

7. The following members say thank you to THart for this post:

You have to remember when Bruce Weber was building them, you could upgrade even a Gallatin, I did. Mine had a Cedar top and Maple back, rim and neck. That is what his instruments are known for, along with his customer service. I don't know what the current instruments sound like, but I am sure they are good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

I dunno much about these days...that is, the ones AFTER B. Weber left his company to others.

I have a Fern, 2007, that I returned to Bruce for a Stainless Steel fret job and re-gradation of top and back plates and refinish in 2012. It is a very fine mandolin in all ways. Big, loud, clear and oh-so-well defined in tone. It compares nicely with the Gilchrist A3 I own.

I'd say earlier Weber mandolins will be a safe bet.

Billy

p.s. While Bruce had it in his shop in 2012 re-shaping the plates he informed me the top was cedar! From what I understand about cedar, this one is different. It has Gobs of sustain and forward volume, a very specific definition of note quality, a great sounding mandolin. And dang pretty to boot!! See the pictures on my web site...

http://www.billypackardmandolin.com/themandolins.html
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

You have to make a distinction between Weber pre-takeover (Two Old Hippies) and post takeover. Bruce stayed a couple of years after the takeover before “retiring” but changes started soon after the transition of ownership. Actually, I think the flat top line went before the takeover. There was a whole flat top line- Sweet Pea, Y2K, Aspen, Alder (mandola), Sage (octave mandolin), and Tamarack (mandocello). Those are all gone, for close to 10 years now. Likewise the Absaroka model, which also hasn’t been made for many years. It wasn’t top of the line or entry level, as I recall, but somewhere in the middle. I think it was x braced. The Gallatin has always been, and still is, the entry level carved model. It’s main feature is no binding, the edges are rounded instead. The Bitterroot is the next step up, single bound on the top, rounded edge on the back. Personal note: on those models with rounded edges, using accessories like a tone guard or arm rest can be a problem. Nothing there for the accessory to grip onto. Then the Yellowstone is bound top and back. Fern is top of the line with multi layer binding everywhere. Black Ice and River are basically Ferns with special cosmetic packages, like special colors, more spectacularly figured woods, and special inlays. Vintage, I think, is a special designation given to oval hole A styles conforming more or less to old Gibson specs. The waters are muddied further by the fact that they did a number of special runs and limited editions. They did exclusive models that I am aware of for The Mandolin Store. They may have done the same for others. But very generally speaking, you can tell what model these were based on by the binding level No binding=Gallatin, single bound top =Bitterroot, bound top and back =Yellowstone, multi layer binding throughout = Fern. Also, there is no Florida on Gallatin and Bitterroot, that starts with the Yellowstone.

There were other models that came and went. Some examples: the Octar (a guitar shaped octave mandolin), the Cutaway (a guitar shaped mandolin with a single cutaway, more accurately described as a mandolinetto), and a sopranino mandolin tuned a fifth higher than a regular mandolin (like a mandola an octave higher).

George is of course correct to point out that it used to be very popular to customize the lower models. You could end up with something better than the sum of its parts. For example, my own Custom Bitterroot has Fern Burst color, full gloss finish, and an Adirondack top. Those were all options at extra cost. I didn’t order it that way, the store did. Stores would sometimes do that to get something that stood out. Unfortunately, I believe a lot of those options have been scaled back with the TOH ownership.

Another interesting development is, AFAIK, all the Weber models up until present day have had Bruce’s neck joint design, which was a mortise and tenon glued, but internally clamped with two screws. After the glue cured, the screws were left in place for reinforcement. My understanding is that, starting this year, all models from Yellowstone up will have traditional glue only dovetail neck joints. Presumably, based on what information they are giving out, the Gallatin and Bitterroot will continue to have to old joint.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Wow! Great history Don. Thanks. Just what I was looking for and I’ll many others will be happy to see this.

===========

I have promised myself that if I ever get proficient enough to get a gig as a mandolin player, I am going to reward myself with a Weber . . . or sooner, if I win the current Cafe drawing for the Yellowstone . . . .

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Don is correct, The Gallatin and Bitterroot will retain the Mortise and Tenon neckjpoit, while the higher models will now have a dovetail joint. Wide necks are now a custom option.

The new catalog was just sent out a few days ago. Looks like it is online as well:
    https://webermandolins.com/images/up...CATALOG_LR.pdf
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

18. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I have promised myself that if I ever get proficient enough to get a gig as a mandolin player, I am going to reward myself with a Weber . . . or sooner, if I win the current Cafe drawing for the Yellowstone . . . .
    when I win that yellowstone, I can make you a deal on a bitterroot
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

One correction to my previous post. The Vintage package can be put on F style as well as A. The Mandolin Store has a used Vintage F now. I guess the F is supposed to be like Gibson F4 specs.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thank you for the explanation , I just bought my first one (2018 Metolius Limited Edition) and as it wasn't a standard model , I was trying to figure out its equivalent . From this it appears to be essentially a Bitteroot Custom

Never had any trouble using a tonegard or an armrest on a Gallatin.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"