Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wegen M150 vs Blue Chip

Default Re: Wegen M150 vs Blue Chip

WegenTF140...... the white ones
    (They don’t sound as dark)

Quote Originally Posted by RFMando View Post
    I certainly used Wegen picks and do like them however when my CT55 arrived and I started using it I've never looked back...surprised to see that was March 2011 so I feel like I've gotten pretty good mileage out of the one "BC" pick I own...

BUT, hey use whatever you want and don't take anyone's word for what is best or isn't best and like others have recommended get the picks samplers....but I've NEVER held onto a pick as long as I have the BC so maybe that price has caused me to be a bit more "mindful" of my pick handling...;-)

RF
    You never know how things sre going to turn out. I figure you've got about $.25 a month in your BC. Pretty good. In that time I've spent more trying out different picks, just to end up realizing I liked the pick I started out with. But I had to make that journey to know that for sure. So in that way I think eventually we both got what we needed out of it.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    WegenTF140...... the white ones
    (They don’t sound as dark)
    Yes, the sonic properties of the darker pigmentation and it's effect on sound waves in the tonal spectrum combined with the dark properties in the visual spectrum, produces an apparent "darker" sound, as opposed to the white Wegens, which produce the opposite effect in tone. The spectograph readings of the two different colors with a side-by-side comparative analysis will give visual evidence of the tonal difference between them. It's all science.

I like a "darker" sound, thus I go with the black Wegens.

On another note, I don't judge a pick based on its cost. With hundreds (even thousands) of dollars in a few instruments, a $30 pick is no problem. I wouldn't spend $500 on a tennis racquet and be satisfied playing with cheap, worn out tennis balls. I'd rather have 1 BC than 160 cheaper picks.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Yes, the sonic properties of the darker pigmentation and it's effect on sound waves in the tonal spectrum combined with the dark properties in the visual spectrum, produces an apparent "darker" sound, as opposed to the white Wegens, which produce the opposite effect in tone. The spectograph readings of the two different colors with a side-by-side comparative analysis will give visual evidence of the tonal difference between them. It's all science.

I like a "darker" sound, thus I go with the black Wegens.

On another note, I don't judge a pick based on its cost. With hundreds (even thousands) of dollars in a few instruments, a $30 pick is no problem. I wouldn't spend $500 on a tennis racquet and be satisfied playing with cheap, worn out tennis balls. I'd rather have 1 BC than 160 cheaper picks.
    So if I want to play the blues I should use these, then...

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Tortex.../dp/B0002D0CFS
    We are the music makers,

Exactly!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Used BC for a good decade or more on guitar. TAD or CT 40. Or whatever they used to be called before those names. Switched over to them from Wegen bluegrass model. They stick to my finger better than Wegen and worked great in large jam sessions and the band I was in at the time.

Since starting mandolin, have lost the love for BC. Too much click noise. Spent a couple years playing Manouche picks. More recently, have just gone back to Cool picks. Either celluloid or Juratex in heavy gauge. They work well, and I don't drop them. Also happen to like they way they sound on all my mandolins and guitars.

That said, will haul along a BC and a Manouche for my farmer's market gig this afternoon. Might need a little extra volume in a situation where no one but the players care about tone.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

CT 55 is my favorite pick overall on mandolin, and TAD 40 or 50 is pretty much all I use on guitar now. That said, my Skip Kelly A really seems to like Wegen TF 140s. My Silverangel prefers the BC. My RM-1 could care less

It’ll be time to change strings on the Kelly soon (currently has either GHS 260 or J74s on it), so we’ll see if it changes it’s mind...

They’re both great picks, and if I could only have one kind forever, I’d be happy with either. Prefer both to the Primetones, which many seem to prefer to either of my favs. Fender Heavy was my go to before I got the Wegens, but I’ll never go back. I just love the feel, rigidity, tone, and grip-a-bility of the Wegens and BCs. To those of you who love 50 cent picks, more power to ya!

FWIW, I haven’t lost either a BC or a Wegen to date...hope that trend continues!!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ...FWIW, I haven’t lost either a BC or a Wegen to date...hope that trend continues!!
    I never lose picks. However my couch has a voracious appetite for such things.
    We are the music makers,

I recently picked up a couple of Wegens (TF120 & 140) at a local BG festival...Primarily for the same reason I broke down and purchased my first BC (to have a personal comparison) ... I used the Wegens over the next 3 days. In my honest opinion the Wegens don't come close to the tone, string slide, volume, and certainly the wear that I get from the BC's, not to mention they don't slip while playing(which is why I own several now). I literally have bags full of PT's, Fenders, celluloid, Tortise, Tortex, Ultratex, 'pick-a-name" tex, etc., and after using each and every one ... for the life of me, I can't understand how anyone can honestly say that these basic plastics even compare to the BC's.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I never lose picks. However my couch has a voracious appetite for such things.
    Greater danger for me is the drop and bounce with the BC. It blends extremely well with 2 of my rugs...insert forehead slapping emoji here...but, a hungry couch is certainly a threat! I almost never drop it while playing, but will knock it off a stand or a stack of music, esp when I’m playing guitar and switching between finger style and flat picking...
    Chuck