Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegen M150 vs Blue Chip

Default Wegen M150 vs Blue Chip

You know what it's like...we can fixate on that which we have yet to try particularly if there is a possibility that it will make us even slightly better players.

I've used Wegen M150's for a long time. I like them.

But, as you would expect, I'm intrigued by BC's. And, I understand that they are not some "magic bean" that will instantaneously make me Adam Steffey.

For you cats that have played both...is the difference truly substantial and will typically lead to an elevation in one's playing or is it more of a case of, yeah, there's a difference but it's really just more about whatever you get used to?

Thanks.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wegen M150 vs Blue Chip

I much prefer the Wegen. It feels slightly softer in the hand, but lends more thickness to the tone -- whereas the BC feels rock-solid but has too much click-clack and brightness.

I've said it before, but when recording, the sound engineer preferred the Wegen because it had less noise. That's probably partially down to the individual's technique.

If Wegen is my favorite pick, Primetone 1.3 and 1.4 are very close second. For my style, they are very close to the BC, but still have a thicker sound.

(A new contender for my #3 is the Fender Tru-Shell, but those are more difficult to find in the extra-heavy.)

I have and use both Wegen M150's and BC's -- specifically the TAD 60 1R. I like both for different tonal qualities. Both are long lasting and produce great tone. The thing I like about the TAD 60 1R is that it has both pointed and rounded corners. If I want the tone produced by the rounded end, it's just a rotation of the pick to the rounded corner. To do that with Wegens, you would need two different picks -- but at 17% of the cost, you can buy a couple sets of different Wegens for the cost of 1 BC.

Again, I like both, but my goto lately has been the TAD 60 1R for versatility.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I tried the BC and found it neither as appealing as a Wegen or a Casein pick (Hense, Red Bear etc.) on my mandolin(s). Except for my D-16M I didnīt like it as well as a Wegen or a Casein pick on my other - expensive - guitars. A friend of mine has sworn off all fancy picks and stays with the regular Clayton (Tortex Ultem) picks. For me they are great also (at a fraction of the cost).
    Olaf

How cool is that...that volume of compiled knowledge on here really is impressive.

All I needed to know...for now I'm sticking with the Wegen.

Thanks for the fast response, cats!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Some think a BC is the holy grail. Some (like me) think they're nice but not worth the price. Some just don't care for them at all. If you search the site for "pick sampler" there are pick, well, samplers drifting around that have every brand pick under the sun, including BC. Get on the list and you can try a cornucopia of different picks for the price of postage.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

The Wegen Dipper comes in various thicknesses, and has three different tip angles,though none could be thought of as round. This pick is my go to for both guitar and mandolin. I do have a BC TAD 1R 60. I like to have a pick stuck in the strings of every instrument, so cost alone keeps me from buying half a dz. I do think it's the better pick, so it's for my best mandolin.

The Wegens are very good and cost effective.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    I much prefer the Wegen. It feels slightly softer in the hand, but lends more thickness to the tone -- whereas the BC feels rock-solid but has too much click-clack and brightness.

I've said it before, but when recording, the sound engineer preferred the Wegen because it had less noise. That's probably partially down to the individual's technique.

If Wegen is my favorite pick, Primetone 1.3 and 1.4 are very close second. For my style, they are very close to the BC, but still have a thicker sound.

(A new contender for my #3 is the Fender Tru-Shell, but those are more difficult to find in the extra-heavy.)
    Substantially agree. Have Wegen M150s, TF 140, Primetone 1.4 & 1.5 large triangles as well as a couple of the their rounded triangles, Blue Chip TAD 60 1R. For most playing I prefer the somewhat pointier large triangles, but occasionally use the more rounded picks (or corner of the 1R). The Primetone triangles are very close to the BC, IMHO.

I find just about any reasonably stiff pick is fine for practicing, but when in a jam or a show, only the Blue Chip is stiff enough to give me enough speed and volume, even the Wegens feel kind of floppy in comparison. I like a Wegen on guitar, though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I find just about any reasonably stiff pick is fine for practicing, but when in a jam or a show, only the Blue Chip is stiff enough to give me enough speed and volume, even the Wegens feel kind of floppy in comparison. I like a Wegen on guitar, though.
    For "ME", and I have both, I prefer the BC as the notes seem clearer and sharper ! More volume also. I mainly use the tad 45 and the CT 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Some think a BC is the holy grail. Some (like me) think they're nice but not worth the price. Some just don't care for them at all. If you search the site for "pick sampler" there are pick, well, samplers drifting around that have every brand pick under the sun, including BC. Get on the list and you can try a cornucopia of different picks for the price of postage.
    I can't recommend the pick sampler enough. I was using the Wegen M150 and was mostly interested in moving to Bluechip. After going through the sampler the Dunlop Jazztone 207 became my favorite pick. The 207s are about 50 cents a piece.

I really like the BC CT55 for mandoline. I use the BC tad 45 for guitar. Primetones are also good. Don't fancy the Wegen much....
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

For some reason, every Wegen I’ve tried spins round in my fingers. I bought a couple of the large triangles with holes, and also a couple of bluegrass picks for guitar (also with holes). Every one of them slips around all over the place whenever I try to use them. In over 40 years of playing guitar, and 6 years playing mandolin, I’ve never have this problem with any other picks. They have a lot of fans, but I can’t get on with them.

Blue Chips (TP60) and large triangle smooth brown Prime Tones (1.5) are my favourite picks for mandolin. And they stay put in my fingers!

Have both a Blue Chip (TPR60) and the Wegen M150, and have used both a lot. After using the Blue Chip for quite a while, I recently went back to the Wegen. At band practice a few days later, the band asked why I was playing so quietly. So apparently I get a lot more volume out of the Blue Chip, don't really know about the tone. I didn't notice much difference but the others did without any "prompting" comments from me. I think the only difference I feel playing is that tremolo is a bit easier with the Wegen. Both are fine picks in my book.

Spencer

I keep trying different picks and always go back to my Fender extra heavy. Yes they wear down fairly quickly but at 50 cents apiece I just throw the worn ones away and grab another can do that about 80 times for the price of a BC.

Wegens do it for me. I have a bunch of them.

I agree Blue Chips may be more efficient in the volume department. Clicky.

Red Bears tend to slip around in my hand until they get broken in a bit.

Yet another BC thread...buy one, try it, return if you no like...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

I lean toward BC for most playing. I have Wegen too and like them also sometimes but BC is my default. On my Brentrup, Flatiron and Gibson I use TPR50, Today I took out my 20 Washburn/Lyon & Healy A and played classical. For that I prefer a lighter and pointier pick so use BC Large Jazz 35. On guitar I like the TAD 40. I play some pretty intense old time backup and the BC are great—they never wear out. I used to use Ultem Dunlop similar shape but they developed a razor edge. I have been using the same BC pick on guitar and it never seems to wear out.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I use both, I like the when bluegrass and the blueChip Ct55 , bit I also just grab any pick and I'm fine with that, but I have played guitar since 85' so I'm used to regular picks I also have a Td35 or 40 blueChip which is like a regular pick.

I use my CT55 the most I have 4 of them
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I tried a Wegen M100 for mandolin and found it a little too "sticky" feeling on the strings - my go to Blue Chip picks either the TPR35 or Kenny Smith 35 glide across the strings and facilitate speed better for me.

On guitar I was really loving the Wegen Dipper with a Breedlove Revival OM that I had, but now that I have a '69 Martin 00-18 I've gravitated towards a Blue Chip Kenny Smith 40, or the TPR40. I find I can play both faster with them and that they impart a lovely warm tone. That said the Dipper probably edged it slightly volume wise, but I found the sound I got with it a wee bit harsh. I do love how the Dipper feels to hold though and I reckon they'll cycle back into rotation again at some stage - I'll be swapping out the D'Addario PB strings on the 00-18 for a set of Martin Retro Monels soon, so we'll see which pick they pair up best with.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

Blue Chip TAD 60 for intimate settings or playing at home. Wegen TF140 for jams and larger ensembles where the subtle nuances of tone are not as important, but I need a little extra punch to stand out.

Other choices for other reasons.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I hesitate to sound like a yobbo here, but all my life I've played with a good old Fender celluloid medium. I've moved up from the standard teardrop shape to a 346 triangle to allow for my hamlike fingers, but I'm comfortable with that pick, so I expect that's what I'll stay with. Actually, that's good for me; I'll end up saving a lot of money for other goodies that way. There's a certain freedom in being a troglodyte among the Cloud Minders.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I hesitate to sound like a yobbo here, but all my life I've played with a good old Fender celluloid medium. I've moved up from the standard teardrop shape to a 346 triangle to allow for my hamlike fingers, but I'm comfortable with that pick, so I expect that's what I'll stay with. Actually, that's good for me; I'll end up saving a lot of money for other goodies that way. There's a certain freedom in being a troglodyte among the Cloud Minders.
    I wouldn't say troglodyte. One likes what one likes. No problem with that.

I am not sure about saving any money however. As soon as one plays mandolin, one has decided not to save money, but to spend it.

A high end pick, one time for say $35.00 dollars is much cheaper than 12 for five dollars over and over and over again.

"But I lose them" I hear someone say.

Well quit losing them. That's the problem. Not the price.

Those for which the price is the inhibiting issue, what is the psychic cost of playing with what you almost want, over and over and over again.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

JeffD I play with a fender extra heavy because that is what I want, not what I almost want, I've tried BC and see no pluses in using it. The cost that I bring up each time I discuss picks is to me a plus for the fender. I can't see paying 70or 80 times as much for anything that is no better. And accidents will happen who among us hasn't ever lost a pick. Lose one BC and replace it and you've spent what 160 Fenders cost.

I certainly used Wegen picks and do like them however when my CT55 arrived and I started using it I've never looked back...surprised to see that was March 2011 so I feel like I've gotten pretty good mileage out of the one "BC" pick I own...

BUT, hey use whatever you want and don't take anyone's word for what is best or isn't best and like others have recommended get the picks samplers....but I've NEVER held onto a pick as long as I have the BC so maybe that price has caused me to be a bit more "mindful" of my pick handling...;-)

RF