You make an excellent point JB! Let the end product determine the equipment. If you want brisket, don’t start with a pork butt! Let the music help determine which one to use if you can. My basic 1975 Alvarez A-700 has held its own for my needs, from sitting in with country or Tejano bands, folky pickers, or whatever. It fits because I have it, I know where it will work and when to sit out. If I had another (other than the one F-5 I’ve gone on about ad nauseum for years) it would be something like an “A” style with a spare nut and saddle for “Carl Martin” octave stringing on the bass courses.
Or maybe a Harmony batwing for the sheer “funk appeal” and maybe to channel some Yank Rachell!
Play what you have as much as you can, if you feel like you need to cull the herd, that’s up to you but, in my experience, they really don’t eat much so, I’d just keep everything and have more options.
Oh, and if I have a stroke of luck and win the current offering from the drawing, I will show it as much love as I can but, first...
I walk into a gig with it in my old case and just spring it on “the boys”!
I would love to do that.
We pulled that joke on my banjo player when he got his first “custom” piece, he just about cried through the entire rest of the night!
That was a fun joke!