Thread: My old Bluegrass band, circa 1978-79

Default My old Bluegrass band, circa 1978-79

It is with some hesitancy that I'm doing this. Our bluegrass band from the late 1970's, Bluestem, had part of one of our practices recorded in an apartment on a reel to reel recorder. One mic. The recording was actually done by a photographer friend, who also happens to be the guy that took the first modelling photos of Cindy Crawford.
    Anyway, I recently stumbled on the files and converted them to MP3's. And after you listen to this, you should note that I actually slowed them down. The pitch is still where we were at. I was about 30 back then. And we were frenetic.
    So please forgive the tone but it's interesting to look back. I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player, Mike O'Connell passed away recently. The bass player, Tim Tyner, who is singing lead on this one, passed away some years ago. The guitar player, David Kolars, and I still play a lot together.
    So- a shot back into time.

Kansas City Southern.mp3

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My old Bluegrass band, circa 1978-79

I love it. Thanks, Dale. I love your break, esp that gliss at the end. Fantastic? You have more?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim. Remember, I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player is Mike O'Connell. He took lessons from Jethro.
    I've got a few more. I'll put one more up now. This will be the same practice. This one I'm singing lead on. Quite the tenor I was...

Like A Train.mp3

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

I won't make any comments about the descent from Cindy Crawford to Dale Ludewig... oh wait, I just did...

That was back in my rock-n-roll drumming days! I hadn't even started playing Bluegrass yet.
    I must admit it sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Thanks Jim. Remember, I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player is Mike O'Connell. He took lessons from Jethro.
    Sorry, Dale. I missed that about your playing banjo. I went back to hear your banjo break around 2:50. I am no connoisseur of bluagrass banjo but that sounds pretty solid to me and I like the jazzy riff at the end.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Thanks Dale. Some history here. Sorry to learn about Mike. I was in DeKalb in 78-79 and he was one of my inspirations to take up mandolin.
    Peace

Fine stuff!
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing those tunes, Dale. It's great to associate actual music (and good stuff, at that) with the folks whose posts one reads with respect.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Anyway, I recently stumbled on the files and converted them to MP3's. And after you listen to this, you should note that I actually slowed them down. The pitch is still where we were at. I was about 30 back then. And we were frenetic.

Kansas City Southern.mp3
    Thanks for sharing. On one hand I understand slowing it down, but on the other, I'd always prefer to hear music as originally intended by the artists.

Let's have a show of hands. Who wants to hear them at original speed? I'm curious.

For some reason, I can’t open the mp3 file, all I get is a wall of code.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Thanks for sharing. I sounds as though you guys were having a ton of fun. Good job.

===========

Nice job - If I was still producing the old-time country/bluegrass radio show, I would offer to play the song on the air.

Now, about those Cindy Crawford pictures . . . .