Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I aquired a Old F4..

Default Re: I aquired a Old F4..

My understanding is that the pickguards are more likely to outgas and decay when the instrument is left in the case, in a relatively airtight environment. Heat and humidity, or the lack of it, may play a role as well. But if it hangs on the wall where air is circulating, the decay is less likely to happen. Maybe that's what happened here.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

slimt 

Agree, that looks absolutely gorgeous. One of those is on my want list, and that condition looks exceptional!
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

slimt 

Thanks for the comments everyone.. I think its pretty neat looking.. just didnt realize how much though..

It’s pretty darned cool, provenance is a plus. Keep it close, properly appreciated and just enjoy it! I’m a bit jealous but, I’m pretty sure it’s found a loving home!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

slimt 

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    With the guards I've found that the teens and 20's last, they must've changed the composition in the 30's because those are the ones that really gas off and deteriorate. I've had them from all years and the 30's are more prone to the dreaded rot, some 30's guards I've had are just fine. It may be if an old Gibson was exposed to some sort of heat even while resting in its case that's why the guards crumble? I really think the 30's material is not as good as early stuff? Maybe someone good with chemical compositions will chime in?
    I agree. My friends and I have had quite a few teens and twenties Gibsons and kept them in the cases with no problems with the pickguards outgassing and crystallizing. The only one that had a problem was a 1930s EM-150. I took the pickguard out of the case and stored it in the air. Also had a repro made.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

hank 

Teacher, repair person

I've seen quite a few of the teens guards go bad.

I believe that a contributing factor is a chemical reaction that can occur when the embedded nails and/or support rods rust. Often you will see that the deterioration on the teens guards starts above the embedded metal parts.

I suspect that a time will come when a pre-war Gibson with its original guard will become a rarity.

11. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

hank 

I found the listing amusing when he said 'I just picked up an old F4' inferring that there were a good few of these around when there isn't. It's as if he just wandered into some old second hand shop and found this for $500 or whatever.

Quite a find indeed. I could just look at it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    I found the listing amusing when he said 'I just picked up an old F4' inferring that there were a good few of these around when there isn't. It's as if he just wandered into some old second hand shop and found this for $500 or whatever.

Quite a find indeed. I could just look at it all day long.

Hi.. ya.. no, Didnt find it at a second hand shop.. I did pay abit for it.. as I do know F4 in most cases are not cheap.. I also made sure the family got what they wanted.. they set a price.. and I paid.. ..

I do pickup some pretty cool items though... eg;; 34 14 fret..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9688.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	168765

this is about as Rare as they get..

and a Pointsettia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9313.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	168766
    Last edited by slimt; Jun-20-2018 at 7:51pm.

A museum piece destined for a better fate. Play the hell out of it (and post some recordings for us!)

15. The following members say thank you to thecelloronin for this post:

slimt 

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Much appreciated.

What a great time machine to have found. Enjoy.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    If the pickguard is celluloid, like it should be, can anyone explain why it’s in such good shape? Most of them with any kind of age on them start to self destruct because of the inherent chemical instability. Rotting, crumbling, offgassing. This one looks factory fresh.
    I understand that excessive moisture/humidity will cause celluloid (cellulose acetate) to crumble over a period of years. When I received my 1917 A-3, the pickguard had long since crumbled to dust. I recreated one from modern materials using numerous pictures that I found on the Internet. There are originals around from time to time on eBay but they are uually very pricey.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.