Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

Default so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

<Removed by Moderator per OP's request>

pros and amateurs .......
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-17-2018 at 5:08pm.

Default Re: so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

What happened? I could only last 7 seconds on this.

Blog Entries

What happened? I could only last 7 seconds on this.
    +1

Off the rails at 1:38

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Hey, that dude has a Weber . . . Grill . . . .
    Living’ in the Mitten

5. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

I was hoping someone was going to pickup the saxophone, just to round things out.

Shoot, I knew I shouldn't have looked...

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Y'all's expectations are too high.

At least that band has a sign-language interpreter for the hard of hearing, unlike most bands (so people can 'see' the lyrics, which is presumably important for gospel music).

Curiously, the OP's video's guest band, "MicroGrass", seems to do considerably better in this other video which has fewer musicians, better vocals, a different/better bass guitar, and overall better sound - this sounds pretty good to me anyway:

(or direct link)

Re a different video:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Quick recovery though. That's the important thing.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-17-2018 at 5:09pm.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This not being my genre *, I noticed that...
    -there is nothing really convincing from the start, ambiguous rhythm (some have the beat on 1 & 3, some on 2 & 4), the singer's voice is on the strangled side...
    - whatever happens at 1:38, the audience is none the wiser because the rhythm is stubbornly kept running (that's what I call professional)
    - we don't get to see the best part, which is the musicians' talk among themselves afterwards.

(*) but I have a Weber grill, so that might change everything
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Bertram, the 1:38 reference is to the link in Mark's post, a different video. In that one, the group is pretty darn good all in all. And it is a quick recovery. We've all been there and done that.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure I need to be reminded.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Lots of bands I’ve seen sound like this. While I aspire to something a little higher some folks seem to think this is acceptable. Perhaps it is.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Bertram, the 1:38 reference is to the link in Mark's post, a different video.
    Ah, OK, that is is really a quick recovery.

However, it is also approx. the time into the OP's video when everybody seems to be at a loss who is supposed to do what. Singing stops, no solo, just awkward rhythm.
    Maybe we're on to something - is 1:38 the magic time musicians' concentration is best before?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Actually in the OP's video, I think you could pick any moment. Perhaps the crowd was intimidating. The sheer numbers. I've been there too. I play best with my friends in the kitchen, or late at night at a bluegrass festival when the spirits have been flowing and channeled.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Are you the mandolin player? I saw nothing wrong with the mandolin solo; but was wondering what you are using for an in ear monitor.

My trio played for a "walkathon" fund raiser on Friday, one hour. Most people were at different booths playing games or walking around, of course. Some were sitting and talking. We had to play up on a stage, which I don't care for, and got only scattered applause. Last year we were ground level and closer to the sitters, thus, easier to engage them between songs.

I was a bit bummed out afterwards, probably like you were. It has mostly to do with expectations; getting the sound right in a noisy situation takes practice and experience. I am now looking at in ear monitor choices since part of my problem is trying to sing without hearing how I sound.

Anyway, it is hard to put what one considers to be a "choke" out there for others to criticize, but I didn't see any tomatoes being tossed so I suspect the crowd has mostly forgotten about it. :D
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-17-2018 at 5:09pm.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

yup

those were straight earplugs, which helped me to hear myself on the harmonies.

Thanks mike

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Dang! Wish I'd tuned in soon enough. Now I'm not sure whether or not to share one of my (many) examples of, ah, substandard playing.

If you's like to sens me a link so I can assuage my curiosity, I promise it will not go further.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Dang! Wish I'd tuned in soon enough. Now I'm not sure whether or not to share one of my (many) examples of, ah, substandard playing.

If you's like to sens me a link so I can assuage my curiosity, I promise it will not go further.
    No, journeybear. Trust us. You don't really want this.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

I saw the original and I'd love to hear the rest of the story. Maybe Steve will fill us in. He mentioned pros and amateurs. It looked like a large venue and large crowd like you'd have for a big name act. Some of the musicians were from Steve's band I think. My sense was they couldn't hear each other on stage. Steve did a good job under tough circumstances. The crowd was diggin' it, apparently not noticing any challenges on the stage!

I've had moments like that when I thought I was just awful and then ask around and no one noticed. We're often our own worst critics!
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coronado For This Useful Post:

I think that the band in Mark Wilson's post is pretty good - 'New Old Timey' - but that's no Weber mandolin,unless it's been highly modified inc.removing the Weber name,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Dang! Wish I'd tuned in soon enough
    Nothing you missed out on, especially nothing spectacular - and I think that is indeed the main problem. The band choked on that piece of music like a rattlesnake trying to swallow a cow: slowly and excruciatingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I think that the band in Mark Wilson's post is pretty good - 'New Old Timey' - but that's no Weber mandolin,unless it's been highly modified inc.removing the Weber name,
    Ivan
    From the YouTube video: "Mason's Apron (Big Fat Gap, Mandolin Orange, Hammer No More the Fingers)
    I've Been All Around This World
    Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival of Music & Dance"

The mandolin he is playing in the video leads down quite the rabbit hole of old Cafe threads....

(Big Fat Gap, Mandolin Orange, Hammer No More the Fingers)
    Dey's all local bands, pickers from around here. Is the mandolin picker in that video the guy from Mandolin Orange?

Yep.

BTW

The REAL band is multi platinum selling.
    We are not. LOL. ......it IS a "convenient amalgamation" of players with certain abilities....nothing more or less.......

Concert was a sell out. 5000 in the audience as I understand it.
    I have to say, it reminded me of mountaineering, when you turn on a ledge and it dawns upon you that can spit down 1000 ft between your legs.....it gets your attention.

Ive never played to more than a hundred or two, tops.

I simply posted as a bit of humor and self deprecation about MY choking, which has been a topic on the forum from time to time, especially at jams.

The song is a simple I-IV-V with a minor, typical BG style. Which is why we were asked to sing vocal backup. our harmonies are actually pretty good, but, I couldn't hear any of us on the recording, but that's a digression.

Frankly, I thought everyone else did great.

fwiw, I had worked out a pretty decent melody based break, and ended up, as a result of arenaline pump and wishing to try a more 'driving' type break, chose to try doing some 'foggy mtn' double stops and some off the cuff runs. It was a bit difficult to hear, which is why I kept my earplugs in, as, I could hear my own harmonies over the bassist. My timing issue was, my fault, possibly simple tension. No excuses. I caught the groove half way through, imho.

The crowd was more than gracious when I finished. They cheered and hooted. One lovely blonde, who I had been sitting next to, when I came back to my spot, decided I was worthy of a couple of beers and my wife a large glass of rose'.....

It has been enlightening for me to see the responses thus far. Frankly the main band, and the front man is, imho, brilliant. But, that's me. I see for others, it aint no part a'nuthin'. I get that too.

I asked Mike that the video be removed because I believed, at the time I posted, our videographer had obtained the necessary permission. I can say that since press passes were issued, etc., this wasn't a bootleg, unauthorized, to my understanding.

That later became unclear due to subsequent communications.

So, I erred on the side of caution, and asked that it be removed until I hear further re permission. I asked Mike to help out, and he obliged.

all the best,
    steve
    Last edited by stevedenver; Jun-19-2018 at 1:00pm.