Thread: '91 Gibson F-5G

Default '91 Gibson F-5G

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker. I've found a Gibson F-5G for sale near me and I was trying to determine whether there was generally agreed upon concensus on the build quality of the early models, I've searched the archived threads and found a ton of good information on the Montana made mandolins but I didn't find any definitive information regarding the era of the one I'm considering purchasing. The serial number puts it at being made in early 1991 and the 19th model. It has a Nashville tag but no signature. I know it was purchased at Gruhn in 2000 but I don't have any information for before that time. There is also a pickup installed in the mandolin but I have zero information regarding whether it was factory installed or put in afterwards. I'd really like to get some feedback on the mandolin and what the pickup system could possibly be. I don't have any onboard pickups installed in any of my mandolins so I'm not sure if this would bring its value down or not. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: '91 Gibson F-5G

Pictures help. I doubt the pickup was installed at the factory but you never know. Most of the F5G's did not have a signature label.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

ABrown 

OK thanks, here's what I have

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5c8.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	168678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5c9.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	168679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5ca.jpeg 
Views:	166 
Size:	777.3 KB 
ID:	168680
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

There would not be a Nashville, TN label in a 1991 F-5G. In '91 Gibson mandolins were still being manufactured in Bozeman, MT. I strongly suspect this is a 1999 F-5G. I once owned a 1996 Gibson F-5G signed by Bruce Weber in Montana that was an absolute monster. The pickup is after market, not installed by Gibson, and I can't see it negatively impacting the value. If anything, it makes it more versatile (valuable) to some prospective buyers. Nice mandolin!! How's the price??

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

6. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

ABrown 

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    There would not be a Nashville, TN label in a 1991 F-5G. In '91 Gibson mandolins were still being manufactured in Bozeman, MT. I strongly suspect this is a 1999 F-5G. I once owned a 1996 Gibson F-5G signed by Bruce Weber in Montana that was an absolute monster. The pickup is after market, not installed by Gibson, and I can't see it negatively impacting the value. If anything, it makes it more versatile (valuable) to some prospective buyers. Nice mandolin!! How's the price??

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Am I misreading the serial number? 91221 would make that a May 2nd 1991 production I believe. I thought I read somewhere the very earliest Montana made models were still using the Nashville sticker. The price is pretty right, I can get it for $3,000 I think
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

I believe that the first and last numbers in the S/N (91221019) are the year of manufacture, in this case 1999. Gibson moved mandolin production to Nashville in 1998 (or so). It may be one of the very last Montana made mandolins and Gibson was already using the Nashville labels or it could be a true Nashville made F-5G. I don't know the details as well as some other folks here on the Cafe. $3000 is a pretty good deal if the condition is right. If it's anything like my old '96 Weber signed F-5G, it is one helluva mandolin with plenty of volume and that woofy Gibson sound.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

ABrown 

That is a Nashville built F5G - It was labeled Dec. 21, 1999 and it was the first one labeled that day. Looks nice and has about the nicest back you will see on an F5G. Depending on condition, sound and playability $3000 is a fair to slightly better price. If there are condition issues or it is not a great mandolin adjust down from there.

I have a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 from the same Charlie Derrington era and I have had 3 Performer A5's. They were all good and a couple are great. The labels were not signed but if you can get a mirror through an F hole and look at the underside of the top there were a few luthiers (including Sim Daley) who signed the tops/mandolins they worked on.

11. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

ABrown 

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I believe that the first and last numbers in the S/N (91221019) are the year of manufacture, in this case 1999. Gibson moved mandolin production to Nashville in 1998 (or so). It may be one of the very last Montana made mandolins and Gibson was already using the Nashville labels or it could be a true Nashville made F-5G. I don't know the details as well as some other folks here on the Cafe. $3000 is a pretty good deal if the condition is right. If it's anything like my old '96 Weber signed F-5G, it is one helluva mandolin with plenty of volume and that woofy Gibson sound.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks for the help, is it safe to assume the Gibson serial number cipher is different from guitars to mandolin, i.e. 1st and 5th number are the year, the 2nd 3rd and 4th are the day of the year, and the last 3 are the production number. Because inputting the serial number into all of the online generators come back with a 1991 date. I definitely appreciate the amount of wisdom on this site and am not in any way disputing what I'm being told, just trying to figure out the discrepancy. Thanks

ETA: a quick thread search cleared up my misunderstanding on the S/N issue. Looks like a definite '99.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

So now that I know that it is actually a '99, does anyone have any personal experience with the builds of that year? Also what would be a fair determination on the make/model of the pickup system? I was only 13 at that time haha
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

A 1999 Gibson from Dec most likely was made to Derrington specs with the dovetail neck joint
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

15. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

ABrown 

I could be wrong, but I read that serial number as:
    December 21, 1999, 1st one completed that day.

If it was sold by Gruhn in "2000", I'll guess that it was "the original purchase".

The pictures aren't the best, but it looks to be in very good shape with little apparent wear (at least visible in the pics).

If you can get it for $3,000, that's a decent price. Not "a steal", but quite reasonable. These generally sell in the "3,200 and up" range.