Thread: Yet Another Which Mandolin Thread

Default Yet Another Which Mandolin Thread

I am looking for a mandolin in the $3,000 price range. What I want to overcome is a screechy E string that I have found on many of the mandolins I have tried. Maybe I am being to picky but I find the screech thing to be irritating.

Ordering online is risky business but that is the way the world has gone. So, any input on the mandolins with the best E strings and playability?

I know, this is all opinions and experience of people with a different ear than mine. But, hey, if enough people come to consensus, it’s a place to start.

Default Re: Yet Another Which Mandolin Thread

F or A ? Oval or F holes ?

A or F?

The new mandolin I like, and the only F I'd buy new at that price is the Northfield F 5S.

Now for As the world is your oyster. Pava comes to mind.

One man's screech is another's crisp and clear. For a warm tone, Silverangels.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

In that price range I would definitely inquire at Gruhn Guitar's in Nashville for a Wienman which can hold their own vs mandolins which cost five times as much ! Another great choice in that price range would be a Girouard !

Thanks for the thoughts. I am wondering if an octave mandolin would be an approach to solving my e string issue. I have heard them played but I have never played one myself. Weber isn’t too far away so I could give one a try.

Before I'd spend $3000 to cure a screechy E string, first I'd try to rub some Vasoline on it to dull it down. (or try a different brand of strings) Second, I'd probably learn to live with it. If that doesn't work, my third choice would be ear plugs.......

Skip Kelley A styles are going in/near your budget at the moment. Haven’t played any of my others since getting mine. Not as bassy as my SA, but more balanced throughout, and no screech...
    Chuck

Teacher, repair person

A very common characteristic of many, if not most, f-hole mandolins is a bright E string.

You might want to consider playing some oval hole mandolins, both new and old. Most of the old Gibson oval hole mandos have E strings that are quite a bit sweeter than an F-5 or A-5. Perhaps an oval hole would suit you better.

You can tame a "screechy" E string to some degree by going to a .010" or .010 1/2".

I had another idea.....have any mandolin players tried the plastic sleeve that comes with violin strings for the E strings? I know their purpose is to prevent cutting into the bridge, but the side effect is that they take some of the brightness off the tone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    I am looking for a mandolin in the $3,000 price range. What I want to overcome is a screechy E string that I have found on many of the mandolins I have tried. Maybe I am being to picky but I find the screech thing to be irritating.
    Screech? I get it. I upgraded in search of an E string that didn't bother my ear. I had 3 lo/mid 2K priced mandolins with stellar reps that had E strings that made me want to avoid playing melodies on the E strings if possible. Very good mandolins but lacking on the E string.

You want an E string that is strong and clear but bell like and pure without the metallic screech that can bother the ear like fingernails on a chalkboard. Those mandolins exist so your quest it doable.

Recommendations online are often folks commenting on the first decent mandolin they've owned. I've done it. I bought my first good mandolin based on comments here. I loved that mandolin but it didn't fully satisfy the E string issue or I'd still have it

An octave might fix the E string bugger but until you've played a tune on that long scale you can't know if it's something you can handle. Me, I find it hard to play but could probably adjust after some serious time spent playing on it.

If you like your present mandolin at all, besides the E string, I would spend some time intonating it. Weather fluctuations, humidity changes can all have an effect on the mandolin. If the action goes up/down, but mostly up it changes intonation. I notice it first when my E string becomes bright. Once set back to correct, the E string goes back to being clear and warm. I think too many folks overlook the finicky part of the mandolin. I carry adjusting tools, gauges and whatever it takes to be able to raise or lower my saddle anywhere so my sound and pliability is the way I want it, always.

It' worth a try and cheaper than the 3K you are thinking of spending, of course maybe MAS is closing in on you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

With that kind of budget, I think you would be well served to spend a little bit visit Gruhn's or Elderly or a place where you can get an excellent selection to try out. In the long run, knowing you have what you want will be worth it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Lots of used mandolins in the Classifieds in that price range.
    Have you ever heard a mandolin that did NOT have a screechy E string? It might be your hearing-perception.
    A mandola, easier to finger than an Octave Mandolin, would solve the problem. Plenty of those in the Classifieds too...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dacraw54 View Post
    Have you ever heard a mandolin that did NOT have a screechy E string? It might be your hearing-perception.
    I was in Carter Vintage Guitars the other week. Played 10-15 mandolins, pulled down by reputation of builder. One had an E string that I would describe as metallic sounding. The rest had E strings I would call pure - no brittleness. You should get out more

I have 10-15 mandolins within arm's reach. I don't need to go anywhere. You're the one asking for advice.

Actually, the OP's the one asking advice. Let's assume that before deciding to drop $3K on a new mandolin, the OP has tried a variety of string gauges and compositions to eliminate what we're terming "screech." One useful piece of advice above, was to consider going to an oval-hole instrument, which -- in general -- has a less aggressive attack when picked. Not invariably, but we're dealing largely in generalities here, since [a] we don't know what mandolins the OP has owned or tried, and [b] we don't know what mandolins are being considered.

The fact that the OP has heard "screech" on a variety of mandolins, may well indicate a particular sensitivity to treble frequencies. Moving to a lower-range instrument, mandola, mandocello or OM, can counteract that, but the tradeoff is the need to learn new techniques and approaches to the music the OP's currently playing.

The OP says "Weber isn't too far away," and my advice (a bargain at 2¢) is to go there and play a range of instruments, depending on what's available in their showroom. The more that are tried, the more info accumulated, and the search can perhaps be narrowed.

I have a hard time understanding the concept of "screech." Some instruments are more trebly, some more bassy, and there is a whole range of tones resulting from different designs, materials, and construction techniques. The solution may be to play every instrument available, and try to figure out what's appealing and what isn't.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I have a hard time understanding the concept of "screech."
    One person's screech might be another's bright. When I think of screech I think of the starter mandolin I begin on. It sounded ok I guess but the treble end of it had a tone that was irksome to my ear. Gritty, metallic, tinny, bright sure, but not in a pleasing way. I thought of that when I read screech.

Even when I upgraded I wasn't fond of the tinge of that still noticeable to me in the E string(s). Eventually I played mandolins that I felt solved that for my ear. Bright but without the metallic bite of bright. I wish I knew how better to describe it or what makes one mandolin seem that way to me.

The solution may be to play every instrument available, and try to figure out what's appealing and what isn't.
    By hook or by crook

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    A very common characteristic of many, if not most, f-hole mandolins is a bright E string.

You can tame a "screechy" E string to some degree by going to a .010" or .010 1/2".
    Or even 0.0115. D'Addario has a nice nickel bronze set that goes 0.0115 to 0.0400 (labelled 11.5-40), which I really like. No screechy E string, and NFI on my part.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

The new mandolin I like, and the only F I'd buy new at that price is the Northfield F 5S.

I think you've answered your own question. As the proud owner of an F5S, for about a month, I can not provide a stronger endorsement...go get yourself one!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

The fact that the OP has heard "screech" on a variety of mandolins, may well indicate a particular sensitivity to treble frequencies. Moving to a lower-range instrument, mandola, mandocello or OM, can counteract that, but the tradeoff is the need to learn new techniques and approaches to the music the OP's currently playing.
    I have a hard time understanding the concept of "screech." Some instruments are more trebly, some more bassy, and there is a whole range of tones resulting from different designs, materials, and construction techniques. The solution may be to play every instrument available, and try to figure out what's appealing and what isn't.
    From my POV, any and all mandolin - or violin - e strings screech.

It's the pitch range, that's what they do, get over it and enjoy!

P.S. My best mandolin has over 24 frets. That double octave high e can really squeal.

My idea of "screech" is a beginner learning to play a clarinet. I don't think mandolins screech, although when I was first trying to play the violin I managed to get a screech too. Anyway, since I don't think mandolins screech and you do, I would agree with the advice to try many. IMHO, none of mine screech (Pava, Collings, Weber, or the bowlbacks.)

Screech is the sound I've made on a violin. Never screeched on a mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1