Thread: Superior A-model case fit

Default Superior A-model case fit

The original case with my 1919 A-2 is getting pretty beat, so I ordered a Superior CD-1521 case on Amazon. It arrived today, and I found that it's an exceedingly tight fit. I understand that it's new and the foam will probably compress, but this just seems too tight. I have to work to get the mandolin in, and when I go to close the top, it wants to stop when it's still about an inch open, so I have to push it down to get it closed. I don't like the idea of putting pressure on the bridge. Anybody out there have any experience with one of these cases and a Gibson round-hole model from the late teens? Does the foam eventually adjust and the fit loosen up? Thanks.

Default Re: Superior A-model case fit

There are 4 reviews for that case and 3 of them say the same thing. For that price I would demand better. This option is half the price, very lightweight, and more roomy. Some people think too roomy, but for a Gibby it might be a better fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-CG-0.../dp/B0061YYBH2
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Bear in mind that the teens and 20s Gibson As have a slightly larger body than more modern A style mandolins (Eastman excepted) so you can expect a tight fit with most off-the-peg cases. I bought an Eastman case for mine and it fits perfectly.

I bought one of the cheapie hardshell cases on ebay for a friend's Gibson and while it was longer than necessary, it fit very well and held the mandolin nice and secure without moving around
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I bought one of those Superior cases when I had my A-jr and ended up having to sell it as it was way too tight. Got a TKL A case instead and it fit perfectly.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Not sure if this is the same case referred to as the Deluxe Superior A Style case that comes with a Kentucky KM-950. My KM-950 fits snug with little room for accessories beyond the small box for such. Small enough that I use another case so that I have room for a strap.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I have two TKL A-style cases, one for my ‘23 snakehead, and it fits just fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I use a Superior CF-1521B Deluxe Fiberglass A Model Mandolin Case - Black for my 1922 A2 and it fits the body really nicely. The neck box is too tall though, so I gently cut it away and lowered it. Actually, I removed it and glued in a hard foam block covered in leather that supports the neck at just the right height and left the foam block suspended there, with a "tunnel" underneath it that fits my Cooperstand mini perfectly. Best case for a 20s A2 I can ever imagine.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!