2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Punch Brothers album - All Ashore

Damn that's a fine song!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful! Such tasty textures and harmonies.

What a wonderful piece of music. Such virtuosity from all of the band, not least Mr Thile. Oh joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    YOW! Excellent setting and recording, they never cease to amaze!
    1990 Sigma Dreadnought
    1970 Aria Dreadnought Japan made
    2012 Braund F-5 #5 made by Terry Braund - Corona,CA
    2013 Kala Tenor Ukulele

from the nitpicking dept: remove tuner from very expensive mandolin headstock

from the nitpicking dept: remove tuner from very expensive mandolin headstock
    Oddly enough, my reaction to seeing it was "Hey! He does it just like me! On the front, where you can see it!".
    Mitch Russell

Ok, I give up.whats the time signature?
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Ok, I give up.whats the time signature?
    5/4

11. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I love it. They never cease to amaze.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Amazing video and a beautiful song - I loved watching Chris Thile and Noam Pikelny play. Their hands moved like lightning!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Can't wait.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

FranklintonBill

Fantastic! I love it!

I don't mean this question in any critical sense, but what type of music genre would you call that? I hope this isn't a dumb newbie question...
    2018 Big Muddy Mandolin M11
    Who cares Rogue 100a or something

Quote Originally Posted by FranklintonBill View Post
    Fantastic! I love it!

I don't mean this question in any critical sense, but what type of music genre would you call that? I hope this isn't a dumb newbie question...
    Thirty-five years ago, we would have called that "New Acoustic Music" and it actually had a place in the bins of record stores. Back when there were records.

Give a listen to "A Robot Plane Flies Over Arkansas" (1983) by Tony Trischka for the seeds of where this started, among other innovators of the time like Grisman and Fleck. Chris and Punch Bros. are extending that concept with Bluegrass instrumentation in jazzy realms, but the groundwork was laid down many years ago.

Thirty five years ago... egad! "Blown Down Wall" on that Trischka album was a constant earworm for me back then. And I'm not even a big fan of banjo music.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Pre-ordered!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Thirty-five years ago, we would have called that "New Acoustic Music" and it actually had a place in the bins of record stores. Back when there were records.

Give a listen to "A Robot Plane Flies Over Arkansas" (1983) by Tony Trischka for the seeds of where this started, among other innovators of the time like Grisman and Fleck. Chris and Punch Bros. are extending that concept with Bluegrass instrumentation in jazzy realms, but the groundwork was laid down many years ago.

Thirty five years ago... egad! "Blown Down Wall" on that Trischka album was a constant earworm for me back then. And I'm not even a big fan of banjo music.
    I'd call it progressive bluegrass, knowing that that is an incomplete and not fully accurate term, but as close as we may get. It doesn't matter. It's fantastic is what it is.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

20. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Not to argue your point because it's becoming ever more difficult to easily find an album in a store based on whatever random classification the employees are using but over 14 million vinyl records were sold last year, the most since the late 80's. So records are still around.

It will be interesting to see where this album ends up, since the two stores I usually shop tend to stick things like this in either the bluegrass or folk sections, despite it being neither. Good thing I decided to pre-order.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    Not to argue your point because it's becoming ever more difficult to easily find an album in a store based on whatever random classification the employees are using but over 14 million vinyl records were sold last year, the most since the late 80's. So records are still around.

It will be interesting to see where this album ends up, since the two stores I usually shop tend to stick things like this in either the bluegrass or folk sections, despite it being neither. Good thing I decided to pre-order.

C.
    Music from Australian indigenous artists being sold in record shops in Australia gets lumped under 'World Music': even though many great artists, such as Archie Roach, Jimmy Little, Gummurul, Warumpi Band, Christine Anu, Troy Cassar Daly, etc sing and play in a broadly WEstern style, and are Australians.

I hate these types of classifications. Louis Armstrong got it best - two kinds of music - good music and bad music.
    Last edited by David Lewis; Jun-15-2018 at 11:37pm. Reason: double post

FranklintonBill

In that case, David,...that is some GOOD MUSIC!!!! Lol.
    2018 Big Muddy Mandolin M11
    Who cares Rogue 100a or something

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FranklintonBill For This Useful Post:

Pretty fired up that I'll get to hear them perform it at The Ryman on its release date!

That's so cool Matt Harris, enjoy! I'm seeing them in Boston in about 6 weeks at the House of Blues which is a pretty small venue. Haven't seem them for about 5 or 6 years since they toured for the "Who's Feeling..." tour. it is shaping up to be a great summer for live shows.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Is there any news of whether they'll make it to Australia? Chris is a fan of Australia, and particularly Sydney (apparently - he always acts impressed when he's here), so there's a good chance. But it is a LONG way away...

I don’t know what to call it either and I’ve wasted too much time in the past arguing over what genre a tune or band is to be bothered. What I do know is that it’s great!

Thanks for the pointer!

29. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

The Tension’s Mountin’ Boys are at it again!! So good. So tight.

This is why I listen to this band

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sjPJo74RSLg