Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it

Default Re: People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it

Anybody remember Benny Hill singing "I left my heart in San Francisco"?...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    you could do one of those chevron things
    Eoin, you lost me on that, can you explain what you mean by a chevron there?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

JL277z, if didn't know better, I'd say we knew the same musician -- except mine's female. Years as a chorus teacher with guitar accompaniment, has entertained professionally -- as a soloist -- and has a lovely, trained singing voice. But when she's playing ITM, she's completely tone deaf to the changes, the rhythm, the pulse and even how to modify her usual accompaniment. She always seems to play just a beat too slow, or doesn't seem to understand the difference between jig and reel timing. Yet she's an accomplished musician in her own right. It is, as has been said before, a question of listening. I've found that people who are very good at one thing are either open to everything .... or pretty convinced of their abilities and don't take criticism, however well-meant, kindly, or only take it from certain people. I can mention to her she's playing a chord that doesn't sound exactly right in a specific tune, f'rinstance, but she won't take the exact same statement from another band member even though he's far more versed than I on guitar accompaniment, he being a guitarist who has played ITM for years. She only knows him as a so-so fiddle player and took me aside and asked me frankly if he was serious or joking when he told her flat out she was in the wrong key (which she was). I think perhaps it's because she was a teacher (she's retired now) and is used to being the best musician in the room, or someone who is expected to be always right, at least when teaching youngsters music theory.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

4. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    ... I've found that people who are very good at one thing are either open to everything .... or pretty convinced of their abilities and don't take criticism, however well-meant, kindly, or only take it from certain people. ...
    Good point.

... asked me frankly if he was serious or joking when he told her flat out she was in the wrong key (which she was). ...
    Lol!

... I think perhaps it's because she was a teacher (she's retired now) and is used to being the best musician in the room, or someone who is expected to be always right, at least when teaching youngsters music theory.
    That's the best explanation I've heard so far, sounds logical.