Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    Willie Nelson made a career out of never landing on the beat, either singing or playing.
    Ah, but the beat he does land on is magical...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

2. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

But then there are also songs with “hiccups” too. Listen to the old recording of Larry Sparks doing “Smokey Mountain Memories” the changes in the first verse are different from all the following verses. My guitar player simply cannot hear the slight rhythmic “hiccup” associated with the chord changes. Of course, he does not hear the fact that the chords are different either so, I just quit trying to sing it with him.
    This is also a guy who sometimes forgets what time signature a song he’s written is in too. I love him like a brother but sometimes....
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

4. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    This is also a guy who sometimes forgets what time signature a song he’s written is in too. I love him like a brother but sometimes....
    We have a guy like that too. He's not writing his own songs, but the ones he does, he knows the words very well and has a great 'country' voice.

I can forgive it when he kicks off 'White Dove' in 4-4- time. Maybe a momentary brain fart. But it happens when he starts 'Waltz Across Texas' too. And there's a pretty good clue in the title of that one.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

6. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    'Waltz Across Texas' too. And there's a pretty good clue in the title of that one.
    I know, it's rather intuitive, no? Actually, the post above that mentions this number says something about 4-4. Never have heard this song in anything other than 3.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

My advice is don't play with people who don't bring you joy.....Life is too short. I am very selective about who I play with any more. Being able to count is a pre-requisite
    AKA "golfunit"

10. The following members say thank you to John Garcia for this post:

Willie Nelson made a career out of never landing on the beat, either singing or playing.
    What Willie does has Taste and Tone, so, he is magical. He did not make "a career out of never landing on the beat". He delighted people with his songs, as sung by a master.
    AKA "golfunit"

Thanks Alan, I hadn't noticed that post by DHopkins:

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Yeah, had a guy sitting in on a rehearsal. Just a buddy who was visiting. He said he wanted to do "Waltz Across Texas" and started picking and singing it. He said we needed to rearrange it a little to sound better. Well, what we did was play it in 3/4 time instead of 4/4. Lo and behold, it did sound better after we "rearranged" it.
    I guess I'm glad if someone else out there is experiencing the same Razzle Dazzle!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by John Garcia View Post
    What Willie does has Taste and Tone, so, he is magical. He did not make "a career out of never landing on the beat". He delighted people with his songs, as sung by a master.
    Yet another person wound too tight to recognize the tongue in cheek nature of my post. I suggested bourbon to the last guy. But you live in Oregon so you have the ability to have a legal toke. Take advantage of it.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

14. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Lester "Roadhog" Moran!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUr_PJ0nec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJAbWk8od74

This, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of "bad rhythm"! … (Ottopasuuna, from Finland, the best country in the world!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhU3HY6Pbpk

I am still only seeing black boxes for all youtube postings, so I am including the URLs for those seeing the same nothings can go directly to the YouTube pages.

Niles H

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

... One, slower is holier, and two every line deserves an extra measure. :D
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

You've provided a jovial escape from an otherwise dismal musical situation.

This must be some universal rule no matter what the denomination.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

18. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

When I was in school (40 years ago) I played in a GB (general bull____) band for weddings, bar mitzvahs, anniversaries, etc. doing covers. We could always tell what kind of night we were going to have by the end of the first song, based on audience clapping-along dynamics. Random off-beat= general GB night. Regular measured clapping on the 1st and 3rd beat as opposed to the 2nd and 4th = terrible, horrible, nightmare gig dominated by men in grey slacks held up with white patent leather belts, and tassled loafers asking for "Alfie".....

Moral is, bad rhythm in band members can be worked on or eliminated. Bad/no rhythm by the audience is a really really bad experience.

20. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshane View Post
    When I was in school (40 years ago) I played in a GB (general bull____) band for weddings, bar mitzvahs, anniversaries, etc. doing covers. We could always tell what kind of night we were going to have by the end of the first song, based on audience clapping-along dynamics. Random off-beat= general GB night. Regular measured clapping on the 1st and 3rd beat as opposed to the 2nd and 4th = terrible, horrible, nightmare gig dominated by men in grey slacks held up with white patent leather belts, and tassled loafers asking for "Alfie".....

Moral is, bad rhythm in band members can be worked on or eliminated. Bad/no rhythm by the audience is a really really bad experience.
    'Benny and the Jets' by Elton John has the audience clapping on the 1 and 3... Glyn Johns' brilliance.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    'Benny and the Jets' by Elton John has the audience clapping on the 1 and 3... Glyn Johns' brilliance.

Trust me, we were absolutely NOT playing Elton John at these gigs....remember Tommy Smothers counting a song in?? (ONE..ta-three....FOUR). I am certainly dating myself, but THAT is more like what I am talking about...

23. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jshane View Post
    Trust me, we were absolutely NOT playing Elton John at these gigs....remember Tommy Smothers counting a song in?? (ONE..ta-three....FOUR). I am certainly dating myself, but THAT is more like what I am talking about...
    Hmm, my funniest memory of the Smothers Bros was Tommy playing in one key and singing in another. One of the bands we play with has such trouble moderating their volume that my wife, who sings and plays guitar normally very nicely, has done that accidentally once or twice. Great laughs!!!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Well to be fair, where Roadhog and the boys really shine is in live performance, alas too seldom preserved. But here they are on the Ralph Emory show (music starts at 2:45 for those who want to skip past the band introductions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMbzjunjIQ

My theory (yes, another) is that European-descent folks who clap on the 1 and 3 don't think that they're clapping on the 1 and the 3 – they're feeling the song in 2/4 time, and they're clapping on the 1.

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it is a problem for the "play by ear, this is how I learned it crowd". I am one of those people who have a folk, bluegrass, country, old time background but I live with a classical musician who plays full time in a concert band. When you read standard notation and follow a conductor it is all about counting and playing the music as written. So lets admit that what we're talking about here is a problem associated with a consideration of musical education and practice to a certain rhythmic standard. If you're a street musician like me playing a song with your cohorts is a matter of agreement through a mutual feeling for the beat. People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it is similar to people who can't sing and don't admit it. We must find a tactful way of letting them know without upsetting their delicate sensibilities.

30. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I know, it's rather intuitive, no? Actually, the post above that mentions this number says something about 4-4. Never have heard this song in anything other than 3.
    That was my point. The guy neither had nor understood rhythm. And, I don't think he knew that all waltzes were in 3/4 time.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

That was my point. The guy neither had nor understood rhythm. And, I don't think he knew that all waltzes were in 3/4 time.
    Unless they aren't. Leonard Finseth collected at least one "hot waltz" that was 4/4 time. I don't have enough experience to have figured out the history. But it seems strange to me.

On guitar, I've backed up a couple of waltzes that have an extra beat in the B part. Was more a set dance and the beat was required for the move.

And let's not get into polksas on the main group page. That's an entirely different problem. (And one that I'm not sure I'll ever play to some folks satisfaction. Whether the melody or rhythm.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Not bad, for a banjo player...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The guy neither had nor understood rhythm.
    Like this...no rhythm at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it is a problem for the "play by ear, this is how I learned it crowd". I am one of those people who have a folk, bluegrass, country, old time background but I live with a classical musician who plays full time in a concert band. When you read standard notation and follow a conductor it is all about counting and playing the music as written. So lets admit that what we're talking about here is a problem associated with a consideration of musical education ...
    From what I've seen, "musical education" and fluently reading standard notation aren't always enough to solve a timing problem. It's one thing to understand the theory. It's something else entirely to apply that theory in one's own playing.

The absolute all-time-worst-ever no-sense-of-rhythm jam-wrecker I've ever heard, has a Master's degree in music and he spent decades teaching music classes to little kids. He understands music theory quite well, and he can instantly locate any note from sheet music on dozens of different instruments, but on everything he plays, his sense of rhythm is atrocious. He cannot learn anything by ear, he has to have the dots, even for simple tunes.

(But he won't tolerate anyone including himself being out of tune - he tunes up his instruments very precisely, with the assistance of high-end digital tuners - guess everyone is good at something!)

Anyway, I don't see an automatic connection between bad timing and "learned everything by ear", vs good timing and "able to read standard notation".

If anything, making the effort to learn something by ear (from a competent well-respected player) ought to make the timing *more* accurate, not less so. That is, assuming the person has the capability to *listen* to their own playing (there, we're back to listening again), and the self-honesty to notice errors and take corrective action.

Obviously the best of both worlds is to combine written notation of some sort, with learning by ear as well - use both. Why not. Why limit oneself to just one source of new musical info. But still, the need to listen, even when playing solo... even more important in a group situation.

Even without training in music theory or the ability to read written notes, it's helpful to just count. 1, 2, 3, 4. Or 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and. Whatever. Pretty basic, not complicated.

And of course when a person eventually acquires sufficient familiarity with a genre, they can often look at the written notes and get a general idea of what the tune sounds like - timing and all - without even having to pick up an instrument. It's like being able to 'hear' a preview of the music in one's mind, without actually producing any sounds.

... and practice to a certain rhythmic standard. ...
    Yes.

... If you're a street musician like me playing a song with your cohorts is a matter of agreement through a mutual feeling for the beat. ...
    Yeah, as long as everyone plays in sync, shouldn't be a problem.

... People who have bad rhythm and don't admit it is similar to people who can't sing and don't admit it. We must find a tactful way of letting them know without upsetting their delicate sensibilities.
    From what I've seen, it's impossible. The worst-case ones never get the clue, they don't have the ability to hear themselves and to hear how their wacky playing screws it up for the rest of the group, as far as they're concerned any problems are someone else's fault. Any attempt at delicately "letting them know" (by diplomatic people who are qualified at such things) only results in them developing a 'persecution' complex where they feel that everyone, in every jam or session throughout all time, has it out for them personally.

The solution? I have no idea. A solution might not even be possible for the probably small percentage of people who have an actual neurological disorder of some sort (as I mentioned earlier) - of course it would not be right to feel harshly towards people who have biological/neurological conditions they have no control of, it could happen to anyone as a result of injury or whatever. But that's contrasted with musical slackers who just don't take their music seriously enough to at least try to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Unless they aren't. Leonard Finseth collected at least one "hot waltz" that was 4/4 time. I don't have enough experience to have figured out the history. But it seems strange to me.

On guitar, I've backed up a couple of waltzes that have an extra beat in the B part. Was more a set dance and the beat was required for the move.

And let's not get into polksas on the main group page. That's an entirely different problem. (And one that I'm not sure I'll ever play to some folks satisfaction. Whether the melody or rhythm.)
    You can name it what you like but, by definition, if it's not in triple time, it's not a waltz.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

You can name it what you like but, by definition, if it's not in triple time, it's not a waltz.
    Eh you’d better get the red pen out on whatever book of definitions you read that in.

you could do one of those chevron things and write in 3/2, 3/4, 4/4, 5/8, 6/8, 8/4 & 11/4. I’m sure there are others, but those would cover most.... except maybe the hesitation waltz which I always think of as 3/4 with a stumble into 4/4 & strauss used to run some of his over a steady 2/4 or 4/4 beat. And it’s not just about shoehorning triple time into another time signature, some waltz dances run a continuous four or five step division & still make it dance like a waltz, they’re normally ones which sound more breathless and without a gap or heavy step.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin