Thread: Adaptable wireless rig

Default Adaptable wireless rig

Here's the situation - my mandolin has a K&K twin p/u, which I really don't like to use, but in some situations (big festival stage with loud monitors) it's the most viable option. My other non-mic-on-a-stand approach is an AT Pro 35 clip-on condenser. A huge gripe with both of these is the cord that I'm always tripping over. Is there a wireless system that will work with both the condenser and the 1/4" from the K&K? A look through the wireless rigs on Sweetwater hasn't really given me any idea if this is at all doable.
    Mitch Russell

Default Re: Adaptable wireless rig

If you plug the K&K into a battery preamp that you wear on your belt it will work with any wireless. You can use a 1/4" out on most preamps, and I have changed the end plug on a wireless to make it do what I wanted. I usually use a short cord for my instrument and hook it on the mic stand so it is up and out of my way. Preamp at the foot of the stand and preamp cord to the PA lying on the floor, or preamp near the PA with a 1' cord and the mando plugged in, again with a short cord, and behind me. Loop it thru your belt loop if you want to keep it behind you. Short cords, and carry lots of them, mic cords can be plugged together to make a longer one. I carry several that are only 6-8 ft.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Even with the adaptor method you will still have a problem with impedance mismatch. the K&K wants to see 1MOhm, the condenser wants to see 250 Ohms. the wireless transmitter needs to either have a switchable input impedance(like the Radial Tonebone Pre-z) or you will need 2 different wireless transmitters that have the correct input impedance spec for the two options outlined if you want to get a decent sound at the receiver. See the comments in this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ing-a-wireless
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

I am not sure the OP will use both at once. Most wireless units will work with a mic, a belt pre would allow the K&K to work with the wireless too. The pre out will be compatible with most systems.

I use the AT Pro 35 and have been considering getting the wireless version:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ca-pro35c-with

plus this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...odypack-system
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

I can tell you from personal experience that the AT System 10 is very good indeed. I use both the version Jim links to above, and also the camera-mount receiver version (for use with lav mics). I've had them for about 3 years and they have proved very reliable and easy to use. Certainly for use with the PRO-35 or ATM350 on mandolin, they're great. Excellent resistance to interference and a really strong 'lock' on the signal. Very low self-noise ('hiss') and good dynamic range. So, for use with mics - no problem at all.

Using them with a piezo transducer is somewhat more problematic. It can be done, but as noted above, you need a 'pre-pre' amplifier to buffer the impedance, which involves more wires... batteries... connections...

A better solution might be the AKG C411 (which is a truly fine sounding transducer in its own right) either rewired into the AT connector or via an AKG mini XLR to AT Hirose connector.

https://www.akg.com/Microphones/Cond...nes/C411L.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JPA-JA310-B...-/321895167851
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

7. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Thanks for the knowledge, y'all. The AT Pro 35cw is really looking like what I want. I already use a Pro 35 with the xlr connector, and I really like the way it sounds, but trying to move in and out of one vocal mic with all of these cords gets tiresome. Plus, that thin lead cord with the heavy power supply always seems destined for failure.

I'm re-thinking my need to go wireless with the K&K. In the situations where I'll use it (loud festival stages), we'll almost certainly be using individual dynamic mics, so no need to dance around each other at the condenser. The only real danger will be tripping over the cord myself. Festival and loud-stage sound guys always seem horrified at the thought of using a large diaphragm condenser for vocals anyway.

This rabbit hole of gear is my least favorite part of gigging. It plays heck with my technophobia. Nice to have access to folks who know how to figure it out.
    Mitch Russell

You can keep the cord from the AT around you and plug in a mic cord so if you step on it you don't damage the smaller cord. That can be shortened so it is convenient to use a mic cord without a lot of extra cord on you.

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Actually, I bundle up the skinny cord until it's about 2' total, then gaffer tape it to the xlr connector/power supply. I then tuck it in my back pocket with the regular xlr cord connected. But I still tend to step on that cord. Thus the appeal of the wireless rig. But man, I do prefer just playing into a stand mounted mic. That, however, requires a lot of discipline and has inherent restrictions. But sooo simple to set up.
    Mitch Russell