Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who goes on Mandolin Mount Rushmore?

Default Re: Who goes on Mandolin Mount Rushmore?

Calace, Apollon, Jethro, Monroe.

(I’ve never seen the real Mt Rushmore, but I always thought it was kinda creepy. Which made it perfect in North by Northwest.)

Joe B

2. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Are we doing players, makers, or both?

The four presidents on Mt. Rushmore were chosen very deliberately. They are certainly not the only “good” presidents. Each represents a milestone in American history. Washington, the Father of our Country, was a no brainer. Jefferson was chosen because he represents the expansion of America (Louisiana Purchase). Lincoln was chosen because he represents the healing of America during and after our greatest crisis and Theodore Roosevelt represents modern America (first president of the 20th century).

As we think about this interesting mental exercise, we should consider the history of the mandolin and its performance. Not just making a list of our four favorite players. Thinking about it like that, there’s no way our Mount Rushmore should just have 4 bluegrass artists, as important as that genre is.so here are some questions for consideration, using the real Mt. Rushmore as a pattern:

Who was the Father of the Mandolin?
    Who was responsible for the greatest expansion of mandolin playing?
    Who was responsible for ushering the mandolin into the modern age?

I left out the crisis because I’m not aware of any crisis in the mandolin world analogous to the Civil War!

Does thinking about it in this way change anybody’s choices?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My personal mandolin inspirations are Thile, Grisman, Statman, and Zanes. Thile's hands/technique, Grisman's vision, Statman's soul, and Dan Zanes as feet of clay and a reminder you needn't be a technical marvel to make music that makes people happy.

Jamie

PS, I would have a living historian guide as Jethro Burns at the monument cracking wise and corny.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post

The whole Vinaccia clan (some musicologists believe that the modern steel-string mandolins were developed in Naples by the Vinaccia family) deserves this accolade, but I vote for Pasquale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasquale_Vinaccia

"In 1835 he improved the mandolin, creating a version of the instrument that used steel wires for strings, known today as the "Neapolitan Mandolin."[3][4][2] His use of steel strings has become the dominant way of stringing mandolins."

The four presidents on Mt. Rushmore were chosen very deliberately. They are certainly not the only “good” presidents. Each represents a milestone in American history. Washington, the Father of our Country, was a no brainer. Jefferson was chosen because he represents the expansion of America (Louisiana Purchase). Lincoln was chosen because he represents the healing of America during and after our greatest crisis and Theodore Roosevelt represents modern America (first president of the 20th century).

As we think about this interesting mental exercise, we should consider the history of the mandolin and its performance. Not just making a list of our four favorite players. Thinking about it like that, there’s no way our Mount Rushmore should just have 4 bluegrass artists, as important as that genre is.so here are some questions for consideration, using the real Mt. Rushmore as a pattern:

I left out the crisis because I’m not aware of any crisis in the mandolin world analogous to the Civil War!

Actually, Roosevelt was chosen because he was good friends with Gutson Borglum, the designer of Rushmore. It was one of his many demands.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

You need to read some of the 'A' vs 'F'-style threads.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Actually, Roosevelt was chosen because he was good friends with Gutson Borglum, the designer of Rushmore. It was one of his many demands.
    ...And also because he initiated the national parks/national monument system, of which Mt. Rushmore is an example. I've often thought TR the "junior partner" of the four -- not that he wasn't an important president, but I'd hardly rank him with Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln. Were we selecting presidents now, I'd surely put FDR ahead of his cousin -- but that's me...

I still think we need to decide whether our "Mando-Rushmore" should recognize only mandolin players, or should include designers, builders, inventors who contributed to the instrument's design and development. No one now has ever heard Calace, Gibson, or Loar play a note, so how do you rate them vs. Monroe, Burns, Apollon etc.?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ...And also because he initiated the national parks/national monument system, of which Mt. Rushmore is an example. I've often thought TR the "junior partner" of the four -- not that he wasn't an important president, but I'd hardly rank him with Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln. Were we selecting presidents now, I'd surely put FDR ahead of his cousin -- but that's me...

I still think we need to decide whether our "Mando-Rushmore" should recognize only mandolin players, or should include designers, builders, inventors who contributed to the instrument's design and development. No one now has ever heard Calace, Gibson, or Loar play a note, so how do you rate them vs. Monroe, Burns, Apollon etc.?
    Dicey question. Washington and Jefferson were architects of the new republic, and Lincoln was a founder of the post-bellum union. So by that logic, Orville Gibson and maybe Lloyd Loar should be included. But players like Bill Monroe and Jethro Burns were pivotal in the history of the instrument and are quite worthy of inclusion (IMHO). So I guess this is my way of saying those would be my choices.

14. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Is this "players only?" What about Orville Gibson and/or Lloyd Loar?
    I was thinking Lloyd Loar too.

16. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

As always, the best part of these threads is getting names of mandolinists that you’ve overlooked.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

My first list seemed to me to be the important milestone players. Not necessarily my favourites, and not necessarily the best. But I did look at influence and importance. Of course these are your players that lead to modern bluegrass and new grass.

The classical players might think, hmmm. No, Appolon, avital, Lichtenberg and Thile. The jazzers might think burns, gamble stienberg and moore.

Of course there’s blues players, yank, young, Cooder Del Grosso

It’s why I like it as an idea.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

19. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post

Of course there’s blues players, yank, young, Cooder Del Grosso
    Yup. I would amend that a bit, though, to add Howard Armstrong. Yank Rachell and Rich Del Grosso--Yes!

21. The following members say thank you to BluesPreacher for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I still think we need to decide whether our "Mando-Rushmore" should recognize only mandolin players, or should include designers, builders, inventors who contributed to the instrument's design and development.
    I suppose each responder can decide this for themselves, but for me it was a no-brainer, since we were talking Rushmore I thought "history" and would be silly to think only of players.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Ok, the with the reasoning behind the real Mt. Rushmore choices, how about this?

Pasquale Vinaccia, the Father of the steel string mandolin
    Lloyd Loar, the father of the modern mandolin
    Bill Monroe, for popularizing the mandolin in our country and around the world
    Chris Thile, for transcending genres and bringing mandolin playing into the modern age.

2 players, two makers/ designers? What say you? I followed the pattern of the real Mt. Rushmore. Except I didn’t pick Thile because we’re friends!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

FranklintonBill

Monroe, Burns, Grisman, Thile
    2018 Big Muddy Mandolin M11
    Who cares Rogue 100a or something

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Ok, the with the reasoning behind the real Mt. Rushmore choices, how about this?

Pasquale Vinaccia, the Father of the steel string mandolin
    Lloyd Loar, the father of the modern mandolin
    Bill Monroe, for popularizing the mandolin in our country and around the world
    Chris Thile, for transcending genres and bringing mandolin playing into the modern age.

2 players, two makers/ designers? What say you? I followed the pattern of the real Mt. Rushmore. Except I didn’t pick Thile because we’re friends!
    I like that lineup! Similar to mine, though I chose Americans and Grisman over Thile as his musical direction informed Thile and other modern genre-busting mandolinists.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

28. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

To include people having a big influence on the mandolin world I'd nominate Scott Tichenor who enables us to have such discussions!
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Monroe, Grisman, Wakefield, Statman

Vinaccia - Loar - Apollon - Monroe...

32. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    Nobody, I would leave the mountain in its natural state and ride my fat bike there with a mandolin slung over my shoulder and have a picnic and play old-time music once I get to the summit.
    Like the way you think!

Fatbike + mandolin = Perfect combination

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

If Monroe was up there, everybody would wait for his headstock scroll to tumble down the mountainside, taking a few tourists with it.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

35. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

As a musician I would never want to associated with anyone who rushes more.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Good question. I'll weigh in with: Jethro, Apollon, Grisman, Monroe. But there needs to be a classical mandolinist like Simon Mayer or someone I don't know about because I don't follow that genre

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I like that lineup! Similar to mine, though I chose Americans and Grisman over Thile as his musical direction informed Thile and other modern genre-busting mandolinists.
    I should have imagined that a Mt. Rushmore-based question would indicate an American bias.

Signed,

an Italian-American

40. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Ostroushko, Heikki Lahti, Ale Moller, Grisman.

As one can tell, I don't play or really listen to bluegrass.

If all American, Ostroushko, Burns, Rachell, Grisman.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

42. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: