Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mineral Oil for Maintenance?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Mineral Oil for Maintenance?

A fiddle player at our local jam told me recently that he uses mineral oil to clean his strings (over his fingerboard only) after almost every time he plays. He said it cleans the black gunk off the strings, lubricates them for sliding better and helps the strings to last longer. I thought about trying this but wanted to ask the experts here here...

Any thoughts?

I was mostly concerned for the fretboard; would this be detrimental to the fretboard at all?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Mineral Oil for Maintenance?

YES. Mineral oil works beautifully to clean strings and to reduce their corrosion. It is the active ingredient in the commercial product GHS FastFret (and Tibetan Almond Stick), in fact. Apply a drop or two to a cloth and wipe down the strings; do not apply directly to them: this will keep it off the fretboard.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

meesoliver 

It would probably be a whole easier and less mess to just use the FastFret cleaner with it's applicator.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks much guys, would it be wise then if I do this, to keep the oil off the fretboard?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It would probably be a whole easier and less mess to just use the FastFret cleaner with it's applicator.
    I think GHS says that Fast-fret conditions the fretboard. Am I remembering correctly? If so, thoughts on this claim? What conditioning does it need? Maybe it just cleans it?

Thanks

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    I think GHS says that Fast-fret conditions the fretboard. Am I remembering correctly? If so, thoughts on this claim? What conditioning does it need? Maybe it just cleans it?

Thanks
    Many luthiers use few drops of mineral oil on fretboard after levelling or refretting. Naphtha will clean the worst mess but can leave some residue in pores and the oil makes the ebony or rosewood look nice fresh once again. Fretboard is the only unfinished surface of neck and some claim oiling keeps it from "drying out". I'd guess it merely can slow down moisture exchange and accumulating of dirt in the pores. If used moderately on the surface I see no problem.
    I use mineral oil from IKEA that is sold for treating bare wood kitchen slabs and such...
    I used to use GHS fast fret before they went to the horrible plastic containers and once it dried I cut away the fuzzy end and doped it with WD40 and used till I wore it down to the wood. You can load it with mineral oil as well...
    BTW: I use the same oil during french polish so it is not something really bad, but you don't want to get it into cracks or any places where it would count as contamnation and may prevent future repairs.
    Adrian

9. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

The only oil that i let anywhere near my fingerboard ,is one that is ''specifically'' for wood - Teak oil. To clean my strings,i use either WD40 or Servisol Elec.Switch cleaner,sprayed onto a clean 'cotton' cloth & used to wipe on /off the strings. Both work extremely well. With strings,all we're trying to do is remove 'gunk' of one form or another & to apply a microscopic film of lubricant,or in the case of Servisol,an anti-oxidant to prevent string corrosion. The lubricant itself does that - so it has 2 functions, & using a cloth,it gets nowhere near the fingerboard itself. Even if it did,it's doubtful that it would harm it,it's simply not for use on wood,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The only oil that i let anywhere near my fingerboard ,is one that is ''specifically'' for wood - Teak oil.
    Ivan
    You have to be aware that you can find whole lot of stuff sold under name "Teak oil". The last time I checked MSDS for such product I found out it contained nothing related to real teak, just mixture of various natural and modified oils (including mineral oil) and thinners etc...
    There is also REAL Teak oil which is drying oil similar to linseed but dries faster and harder and of course is more expensive. (and can harden in your bottle over time which the fake oils typically won't as easily)
    Adrian

Using any hardening oil, like real teak, walnut, boiled linseed, tung, etc. is not a good idea. It will act as a finish and build up over time. Food based oils such as olive oil are also not a good idea as they can go rancid, giving you an instrument that smells bad. Mineral oil is actually the best choice for this. It will evaporate slowly over time. Most of the so called lemon oil products sold as fret board conditioners are actually lemon scented mineral oil. It does nothing to “moisturize” the fret board, that’s such nonsense. The only substance that can moisturize is-wait for it-water! And you don’t want that on your fretboard! What the mineral oil/ lemon oil does is cleans off the grime and temporarily darkens the wood so it looks nicer. That’s it. Now, if you wiped it on your strings I guess there would be a lubricating effect, making it easier to slide your fingers, but I always put mine on with strings off. And if you choose to use it it should be done sparingly, only once or twice a year at most. I just do it when I restring.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

13. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

IMO, teak oil is a rather bad idea. You can buy "food grade" mineral oil that is free of most contaminants (and yes, you can even consume small amounts of it; it's used as a laxative). It doesn't smell, either -- which WD40 certainly does. Moreover, mineral oil is also used "specifically for wood" -- it's the active ingredient in Tibetan Almond Stick, which is used for treating scratches on fine furniture.

Yes, you can equally well use a commercial product like FastFret, but then, you will spend a whole lot more money doing it that way. A 16-oz container of food grade mineral oil, purchased at your local pharmacy or hardware store, runs as little as $1.99 (the current price through Target, on the web). That amount will last you more than 20 years! FastFret will run you at least $7, and last a year or thereabouts (it dries out). But it does come with an applicator, and you don't have to supply a rag. Your choice!

I would not worry at all about getting small amounts onto your fretboard while cleaning the strings. I know many players and luthiers who routinely coat their fretboards with a thin film of mineral oil, in fact.

15. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

DONE!

I have an old bottle of mineral oil in the shop that I bought almost 15 years ago (expiration date says 04/05) that I used to use when turning walnut (walnut tends to fur up and not sand in certain spots which can be corrected by applying a dab of mineral oil an letting it "dry" on those areas before you sand it). ...I used it this morning and it did the trick quite well. Though just a week or so ago I used a dry rag to clean off the fretboard under the strings where it had collected some dust and ended up taking off a lot of the black gunk with that. ... I can tell that the oil got on the fretboard and "conditioned" it (it looks quite nice) and I do like how it kinda made the string a little slick.

I'd recommend giving this a try!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

About once a year I may oil a fingerboard, or when I am working on it, I HATE slippery strings and like them dry so for me I would rather change strings than put oil on them. I wash my hands before playing to keep the strings from getting slippery. Wiping with a dry rag after playing would be the most for me, but thin I think I am in the minority.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

A useful tip I read from Tobin (where is he?): Tear off a short piece of foil and slip under strings. Totally protects fretboard if you want to clean or treat strings with something you don't want on fretboard. You can wipe strings lightly with clean cloth before removing foil.

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

My experience with Fast Fret is from having used it as a stocking stuffer for my son one year. The concept is great, take the cap off and run the application pad along the strings. Well, that's cleaned the top and sides of the strings and lubricated them, but all that gunk that's been pushed to the underside as you played is still there.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Teak oil is a bad idea as is WD40.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

As a boat owner familiar with teak oil I would never use it on an FB. It hardens and can get gummy. I don't know the ingredient in WD40 so I wouldn't use it on an FB. OK for strings, and maybe OK for FB, I just don't know.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I like the tip about the piece of foil! ... But I used so little on the rag that any oil that got on the FB was negligible and actually cleaned it up and made it nice looking too!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Put nothing on the fretboard but your fingers...use a clean cloth to get under the strings and polish up the wood a little

I was thinking of the Clint Eastwood quote something to the effect of a good mechanic can fix most anything with WD-40, Duct tape, and vice grips....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I was thinking of the Clint Eastwood quote something to the effect of a good mechanic can fix most anything with WD-40, Duct tape, and vice grips....
    Or Red Green "Any tool can be the right tool"
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    Put nothing on the fretboard but your fingers...use a clean cloth to get under the strings and polish up the wood a little
    How do I use the cloth to polish the wood while ensuring nothing but my fingers touch the fretbard?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    How do I use the cloth to polish the wood while ensuring nothing but my fingers touch the fretbard?
    I meant don't add anything to the fretboard.... smart guy huh? I see you are from Surrey

Agree with the above comments. most fingerboard oil (lemon oil), is predominately mineral oil.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    I meant don't add anything to the fretboard.... smart guy huh? I see you are from Surrey
    And I see you're an urban guerrilla. ...?

The Teak oil that i use is specifically made for use on furniture. It extremely thin & watery & wipes on / off very easily without leaving any sticky residue behind. I've used it on every instrument i've owned in the last 45 years with no problems.

It isn't derived from Teak wood - but is FOR Teak wood,or any hard wood. It's basically a blend of Tung & Linseed oils & solvents to thin it down.

There are many different 'Teak oils',some for boats & garden furniture that take up to 24 hours to dry after application - hardly for use on fingerboards. Choose the correct one & it'll be fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.