Restoration is another of those subjective judgement calls, based both on the value of the instrument and the inclination of the owner. When it comes to paint, it was originally done to protect the wood. I've seen French polish over a very rough finish, done to preserve what was left of the original finish and maintain the integrity of the instrument. I cringe at those old mandolins with a quarter of the finish worn off, and feel the health of the instrument would be preserved by a thin coat of varnish.

But then there Is this Strad-o-Lin that had an unfortunate experience. This I would have no problems takeing down to wood and starting over. Neither would I have a problem with a like condition teens Gibson.

I'm sure there are folks out there who would want to refinish an old instrument for purely aesthetic reasons, and down the road someone might be able to afford to own it because of that. Some of the nicer instruments I've played were half the cost because they were no longer of use to the collector market.