Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mandocello from Dammann Musical Instruments

Default New Mandocello from Dammann Musical Instruments

Just purchased this yesterday. Absolutely loving it. Lots to learn. I've played guitar for around 45 years, Mandolin for over 20 & some recent tinkering w/octave. This is a five course instrument that can double as a mandocello & octave mandolin.

Beautiful instrument (visually and sound). Ralph Dammann was kind enough to show my wife and me around their shop and showroom. Very patient in letting me tinker with so many wonderful instruments! (which to chose!?!?!?).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	168428

Any pointers on tunes to learn/techniques? Looking at the Bach Cello Suite, although my ability to read bass clef is weak. Found a treble clef transposition for flute, but its about an octave high. Will probably keep looking/maybe push myself to learn bass clef.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Rodbell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Mandocello from Dammann Musical Instruments

Cool looking instrument. Does it have a sound port on the side?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Yes, sound port on side & built in electronics. I tried both ones with the side port & soundboard hole. slightly preferred the sound of this one. All are fantastic instruments. They do great work!

Damn, man! That’s a cool cello!!

Looks like it would be very versatile for a lot of situations...

I had a cello/octave and a tenor guitar that I eventually just strung in GDAE... Maybe that’s weak, but I had to sight-read at speed to play with certain groups, and the other clefs were really stressing me out...

Post a sound clip if you can!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Me tinkering around (apologies, just bought it and was just responding to a similar request). Hoping to learn more!

https://www.facebook.com/mike.rodbel...7087182069088/

Mike

7. The following members say thank you to Mike Rodbell for this post:

Set to private?

Will see what I can do...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Rodbell For This Useful Post:

OK, that works.

Sounds fabulous, Mike! A new instrument is an exciting thing, especially a brand new one! You're inspiring me to get out the Gold Tone and try out some Bach. The string hopping on that one really challenges me.
    Mitch Russell

Sounds Beautiful, that's a keeper !

Hey Mitch,

Good to hear from you. This thing's terrific. I have a gold tone octave that I'm going to want to sell. It will need some work on the intonation. Was thinking of putting it up on commission at Stacy's. Before I do that, do you know of anyone who might be interested.

The Bach stuff is interesting to me on two accounts: 1. I can't read bass clef to save my life (that will be a project), and 2. as you mentioned, the arpeggios, string hopping will force me to get more disciplined about the down up down up stuff!

Mike

Would it be more accurate to call that a cittern, since it has 5 courses? I assume it’s tuned CGDAE? What’s the scale length?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Would it be more accurate to call that a cittern, since it has 5 courses? I assume it’s tuned CGDAE? What’s the scale length?
    That's possible. I've run into some similar comments. Technically, it does fall into the same definition of citterns. In this case, Ralph Dammann named it a mandocello. Not sure why he didn't market it as a Cittern? Perhaps he thought it easier to understand as a Mandocello.

Regardless, I'm enjoying it!

If you decided to call it a Liuto Cantabile you could use the Calace method available free from here http://www.federmandolino.it/htm/spartiti_calace.htm

Still in CGDAE it has a series of exercises, I think there is also a book of tunes on that page.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, very nice! If you read treble clef, it won't take long to become accustomed to bass clef. Dive in!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    Congratulations, very nice! If you read treble clef, it won't take long to become accustomed to bass clef. Dive in!
    Thanks. Slowly getting there, although I need to frequently remind myself that everything is 2 notes away.... Largely through the first page of the prelude for the Bach Sonata for Cello.

I absolutely love the sound of the instrument & have a growing appreciation for some of the differences in sound & how to use it in different settings. The lower end notes have a really intriguing sound -- pretty unique -- more reminiscent of some of the more modern jazz fretless basses (but not quite).

What I also wonder is adjustments that would help with technique, left hand, right hand (w/pick) and probably posture. I'd taken some online classes in the past w/Mike Marshall, who was enormously helpful. With this thing, I'm finding far less guidance outside of trying to watch a handful of skilled players on youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    If you decided to call it a Liuto Cantabile you could use the Calace method available free from here http://www.federmandolino.it/htm/spartiti_calace.htm

Still in CGDAE it has a series of exercises, I think there is also a book of tunes on that page.

Interesting stuff. Now I can add reading Italian to my list of challenges (after bass clef, which I believe may be easier)!

Thanks!

Don't let it put you off, I don't read Italian beyond Cappucino, I just played the notes in the exercises -and probably made some use of Google Translate
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Nice axe! Just out of curiosity, how is that bridge reinforced? I've heard nothing but good things about Dammann's workmanship, but I'd be so scared of those 10 strings tearing the bridge right off the top. Is there some secret sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by thecelloronin View Post
    Nice axe! Just out of curiosity, how is that bridge reinforced? I've heard nothing but good things about Dammann's workmanship, but I'd be so scared of those 10 strings tearing the bridge right off the top. Is there some secret sauce?
    looks like its a well reinforced (double top) + sandwiched brace (on back of soundboard) with the pegs. There's a photo at: http://mandocello.org/7-innovations.html -- look at the picture #7 showing the sound port. I'd bet Ralph would be happy to share what he's done. Super nice guy.

No secret sauce, just good wood and building techniques!

Troy H did a great job documented a custom instrument we built for him a couple years ago here on MandolinCafe (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ann-Mandocello) . Here is a photo he took of our bracing of a standard instrument.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandocellobracing1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	520.5 KB 
ID:	168952
    You can see our Osage Orange bridge plate. Osage Orange is hard, hard wood!! The Sound Port model like Mike’s is different being a double top, but it's similar. I'll find a photo of our SP bracing and put it up here soon.

27. The following members say thank you to Ralph Dammann for this post:

What I know of Osage comes from fletching, where it is prized for its durability, strength and thus recoil. Makes intuitive sense that it'd be good in this application.

It probably stems from my inexperience with flat-tops, but how does a bridge plate work exactly? Is it sort of a reinforcing laminate underneath the spruce designed to somehow disperse the pulling force of the bridge? Additionally, is the bridge directly connected to the osage plate?

Ignorance abounds :-) Thanks for the initial response to clear some of it up for me. Looking forward to that photo of the bracing.

What I know of Osage comes from fletching, where it is prized for its durability, strength and thus recoil. Makes intuitive sense that it'd be good in this application.

It probably stems from my inexperience with flat-tops, but how does a bridge plate work exactly? Is it sort of a reinforcing laminate underneath the spruce designed to somehow disperse the pulling force of the bridge? Additionally, is the bridge directly connected to the osage plate?

Ignorance abounds :-) Thanks for the initial response to clear some of it up for me. Looking forward to that photo of the bracing.
    The bridge plate is fastened beneath the top below the bridge. We now often use locust for bridge plates. Look at the double top section of https://www.mandocello.org/fivecourse-mandocello/ and you will see we route out for the nomex used in our double tops but leave the back half of our double un-routed and intact beneath the bridge so that it can be solid wood when fastened to the outer member of the double top. So there is a sandwich of plate-top and bridge.
    Last edited by Ralph Dammann; Jun-28-2018 at 3:26pm. Reason: fixed link