Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mandocello from Dammann Musical Instruments

Default Re: New Mandocello from Dammann Musical Instruments

Hey Ralph,

That link seems to be busted, however I think I understand the construction from your description. I can only imagine the experimental processes that allowed you to arrive at this solution. Really cool and innovative stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dammann View Post
    The bridge plate is fastened beneath the top below the bridge. We now often use locust for bridge plates. Look at the double top section of http://mandocello.org/7inovations.html and you will see we route out for the nomex used in our double tops but leave the back half of our double un-routed and intact beneath the bridge so that it can be solid wood when fastened to the outer member of the double top. So there is a sandwich of plate-top and bridge.
    I'm curious. Just looked up the material "nomex" that appears to have been develop for applications where fire might be a concern. How did you happen upon that & what are its qualities that you found to work well in this application?

Default Double top with breacing for DCI SP Model Mandocello

whoops sorry double post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	169014  
    Last edited by Ralph Dammann; Jun-29-2018 at 3:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rodbell View Post
    I'm curious. Just looked up the material "nomex" that appears to have been develop for applications where fire might be a concern. How did you happen upon that & what are its qualities that you found to work well in this application?
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	169014 Here is the photo of a braced double top of one of our SP model mandocellos.
    The double top construction was inspired by classical guitar makers and incorporated along with the bracing pattern for our use by my associate Ray Varona. I fixed the broken link above. You can read more about double-tops on our website here.
    Last edited by Ralph Dammann; Jun-29-2018 at 3:38pm. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Would it be more accurate to call that a cittern, since it has 5 courses? I assume it’s tuned CGDAE? What’s the scale length?
    As to how we arrived at what to call our new instrument: I started as a player playing four course mandocellos and octave mandolins and thought they'd be more versatile with an extra course (more keys, easier to play, etc). I thought it would be similar to the my experience as an electric bass player going from 4 to 5 strings. So when Ray Varona and I decided to build our version of an octave mandolin or mandocello this is where I was coming from! They are as easy to play as a four course instrument but far more versitile. Our instrument has evolved into a pretty unique instrument and so we have kept it's unique name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dammann View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	169014 Here is the photo of a braced double top of one of our SP model mandocellos.
    The double top construction was inspired by classical guitar makers and incorporated along with the bracing pattern for our use by my associate Ray Varona. I fixed the broken link above. You can read more about double-tops on our website here.
    Thanks -- still curious about the materials that you selected. From what I could find, Nomex was initially developed as a flame retardant. How did you guys determine that it also made a good part of your mandocellos?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rodbell View Post
    Thanks -- still curious about the materials that you selected. From what I could find, Nomex was initially developed as a flame retardant. How did you guys determine that it also made a good part of your mandocellos?
    Ray Varona had read about Nomex, double-toped instruments made by clasical guitar makers. One such maker, with an odd name indeed, is Mathias Dammann (no relation).
    I have been told that thicker versions of this material are used in airplane wings. I have gotten to know an acoustical engineer who builds stage risers with nomex in the middle of wood layers for the double bass and chello end pins to rest on. The Chicago Symphony uses these. The Nomex in airplane wings contributes strength and lightnes of weight. In instrument tops and stage risers you benifit from these two qualties and also resonence and brightness of tone.