Thread: Clip on Tuner for Cello

Default Clip on Tuner for Cello

My grand daughter plays a cello and I would like to buy her a clip on tuner . Same tuner as for mandolin and violin I assume but where would you clip it on ? The bridge ? Scroll too large for the tuner to clip on and she wants to be able to see the tuner as she is sitting down holding the cello upright ! Suggestions ?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Clip on Tuner for Cello

I use the redesigned Peterson Stroboclip for all my instruments. On the bass fiddle I clip it on the bridge. And I take the tuner off after tuning. So it´ll work on the cello this way also. I am not one of the people who like to leave whatever they use (capos, tuners etc.) on the instrument. I have seen people clip tuners into the f-hole of the instrument. If you are comfortable with the thought, the D´Addario micro tuner might do the trick. It may be a good way to prep up the hearing to tune according to a fork though and learn to listen to the "friendly vibrations"(for lack of a technical term for the phenomenon) that you can hear when the strings are in tune.
    Olaf

Apparently there are several options. Sharmusic.com shows a cello tuner clipped to the neck. Others to the side of the pegbox.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My son (14 y/o) has had no issues at all using a Snark SN2 on his cello (on the bridge) for a couple years now. I think the previous was a Meisel but the display was very small. I think the Snark might now be called the ST2 perhaps?
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I use a Snark on my bass fiddle, clipped to the bridge. You may have a bit of an issue getting what's basically a guitar tuner, to register the lowest strings on either a bass or a cello. It sometimes takes me several tries to get a reading; I try picking the string quite gently, which seems to help.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I use a D'Addarrio NS Micro on my upright bass, clipped to the bridge. Tiny, works well. Should work on cello. You'd have to see how it clips on best and see if it can be easily seen while sitting.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

My wife also used a snark, SN5 (for guitar, bass and violin,). She would attach it to the bridge of her cello, tune up and remove it before shs’d start playing. She now uses a Peterson StroboPLUS HD attached to her music stand.

Thanks to all ! I did buy a Snark and my grand daughter loves it ! She now plays piano, violin, cello, flute and wants a mandolin next !

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Give your granddaughter a hug from me. Be the granddad she deserves. More power to kids that play music.
    Olaf

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

There are also tuner apps for cell phones.
    For the iPhone, try Peterson's, iStroboSoft, a strobe-style tuner. Tuner Lite by Piascore is available free with ads or a paid version is available.
    For Android phones, check out G-String, which is free.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas