Thread: Redline Acoustics A-5

Default Redline Acoustics A-5

A little over a week ago my wife surprised the heck out of me when she told me she and the kids (God bless them all) wanted to get me a mandolin for Father's day. She gave me a price range and told me to pick something out. The best buy in that price range for me looked to be a Redline Acoustics A-5 that Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustics had on special. Well Father's Day came early for me and I've had the mandolin for about a week now.
    It's a 2015 model Serial #010 to be exact, and its a real honey. Its Red Spruce and Hard Maple with a Nitrocellulose Lacquer over an "Autumn Burst" sunburst. I had Steve put a Tone-Gard and armrest on it. It sounds great and plays easy. It's a real nice build. Came with a 72 hour approval. Came in a nice hard shell case.
    Has great tone, volume, playability and sustain, and is well balanced. I'm really impressed with the product. Steve provides great customer service. I'm real glad I did business with him. I'll see if I can't attach a recent photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redline.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	168426  
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Default Re: Redline Acoustics A-5

Nice! I played a few of Steve's A5 mandolins in Nashville last year and found them to be my favorite pick under $2000. Understated looks and excellent playability and tone!
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Nice! I played a few of Steve's A5 mandolins in Nashville last year and found them to be my favorite pick under $2000. Understated looks and excellent playability and tone!
    Congrats!
    What struck me about this one right out of the box, was the finish. It looks great in person. Love the color of that sunburst. It's different than most. I put a set of Mapes Custom Phosphor Bronze on it. 11.5 16 26 41. Outstanding chop. Great picking tone. Really rings on the treble side and woody on the mids and bass. Was that you that got the F5S for $1800.00? Great deal. I ended up getting about $500.00 more for mine. I just sold three mandolins to pay for the F5G so this gift was amazing to get.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I agree that the finish work on the Redline mandolins is superb. They are certainly a no frills instrument, but that allows Steve to concentrate on high quality at a good price.

I did pick up that Northfield for a good price. It has a fair amount of playwear with some finish chipping and a pretty long pick gash near the treble F hole. But structurally in great shape. It was filthy when I received it though. I don't understand why some people let their instruments get so dirty and don't clean them up ever. It took me the better part of a day to take it apart, remove all the grime and polish it up, oil the fretboard and put it back together. It still has all the road scars, but it is in much better shape now. And it sounds and plays great! I think it is going to be my festival mandolin for this summer.

Enjoy your new instruments!

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Can you post audio or video of your redline? I'd love to hear it in action. Congrats on the acquiry!

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Can you post audio or video of your redline? I'd love to hear it in action. Congrats on the acquiry!
    Here's a link to a nearly identical Red Line A-5 very close in serial number to mine. Myles Thompson.

https://youtu.be/mJd3UWpSt8o
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

8. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Em Tee