Thread: Can someone please give me a hand with G/F#?

Default Can someone please give me a hand with G/F#?

Messing around with Peggy-O ( or Fennario) and came across this G/F# chord. Can someone help me figure out how exactly to play that?

https://www.rukind.com/gdpedia/titles/view/144

Default Re: Can someone please give me a hand with G/F#?

I'd play 042x, if that makes sense. Then you drop down to 022x or 0220 for the Em.

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I find it is almost always helpful, even essential, to look at chords in context. So thanks for providing the link. The chord you are asking about is in the middle of G-->G/F#-->Em-->Bm. It is very guitaristic descending bass line G-->F#-->E.

Technically speaking the G/F# is a (third) inversion of G Major 7. But I don't think you want to try that on mandolin. There's simply not space to this on a mandolin. (You could, of course, go out and buy a mandola.)

It would be easier to put the moving voice on top, imo. For example, 7 9 10 x-->7 9 9 X -->4 5 7 x --> 4 4 5 x.

Four string voicings could also work, but the moving line would go from the top to the middle. G--GM7--Em--B.

Thank you both very much, very helpful!

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogus View Post
    Messing around with Peggy-O ( or Fennario) and came across this G/F# chord. Can someone help me figure out how exactly to play that?

https://www.rukind.com/gdpedia/titles/view/144

The f# is part of a descending bass line - to me it makes no sense at all to double it in a higher octave. What exactly to play against the G/f# depends on the general character, the melody, tempo, and groove of the song. One possbility could be a double stop tremolo using the b note common to all four chords

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralph johansson For This Useful Post: