Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

Default Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

The width, depth and contour of the neck are easily as critical to clean playing as a radius. Be that as it may, I had a Gibson radiused when refret was necessary, and my Mike Black A4 has a perfect radius. I prefer the radius and medium wide frets. Playing melody seems easier to do cleanly and chording is about the same flat or radius. My hands are mildly arthritic and a flat board seems to cause more stiffness and joint pain. Of course, playing as many various radiused and flat boards until you get a feel for preference would be the thing to do.
    Mike Snyder

2. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

I've actually tried to put this to the test in that the two F-body's I own..one has a flat fingerboard and the other a radius. I've sat and played the exact short sections of music on each mandolin with the sole intent of comparing ONLY the left-hand ease of playing each instrument. Here's my verdict: the radius is easier to play but the difference is TINY. That's all I got.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

4. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

Well I made a decision. I guess it was fate or divine intervention. I had an LM600 before and I stumbled across a great deal from Steve at Cumberland Acoustics, they are a The Loar dealers. I am going for a LM700 with the Cumberland Bridge and set up as well the "Florida scoop. I know there is not much love here for the Loar, but I liked my LM 600. Now the wait lol.
    Giving this another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Giordano View Post
    Well I made a decision. I guess it was fate or divine intervention. I had an LM600 before and I stumbled across a great deal from Steve at Cumberland Acoustics, they are a The Loar dealers. I am going for a LM700 with the Cumberland Bridge and set up as well the "Florida scoop. I know there is not much love here for the Loar, but I liked my LM 600. Now the wait lol.
    I've got an LM-590 and I like it. At that price point, I've not really played anything I like better. That having been said, I damn sure haven't played everything! Good luck with the 700. I bet you dollars against donuts you'll be pleased.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

7. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

I started with a the Loar LM 220, I still have it (although play it very little.) It was a good starter mandolin to get me going on this journey.

The decision is made and you can now, relax and get back to making music!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have never played or even held a The Loar but from what I did hear from a dealer here is that the LM-600`s and 700`s are the same except the 700 doesn`t have any tone bars and the 600 does...I can`t say for sure which one would sound the best, that would be up to the person trying them....I guess what I am saying from what I have heard is do not expect too much difference in the sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    The decision is made and you can now, relax and get back to making music!
    Amen brother

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I have never played or even held a The Loar but from what I did hear from a dealer here is that the LM-600`s and 700`s are the same except the 700 doesn`t have any tone bars and the 600 does...I can`t say for sure which one would sound the best, that would be up to the person trying them....I guess what I am saying from what I have heard is do not expect too much difference in the sound...
    Well Willy, that not exactly true. Just an opinion of someone who might not know ( See my signature). the 700 is only $150.00 more and you get AAA wood . and a different top, do to no bracing, gold hardware. My understanding is that the 600 might be better for Bluegrass, and the 700 has more of a range. . The YouTube clips on both sound good but slightly different. So For $150.00 I'll take a gamble. I'm not expecting a Northfield or Gibson tone for $999.00. This deal saved me nearly $1000.00 because I was looking at the Kentucky 10150.
    Giving this another try.

Get a nice frosty beverage and play until you are worn out!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I think neck shape/profile makes a big difference too - it might be hard to isolate just the radius unless you can find two similar necks, one with and one w/o radius. As others have said, best to try out as many as you can.

Cheers

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

16. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

I have some of each. Definitely prefer the radius for comfort. If by long chords you mean 4-finger G position, not particularly, I very rarely try for that one, rather fake it with 3 fingers and muted G. The radius is helpful for getting into the middle strings, not the high E and low G so much.

Call me unusual, but I’ve been playing slide mando a bit. Radiused board, and flatwound strings, smooth that out.

18. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

When I'm in a store with a good selection, I pay no attention to the radius or nut width. I just grab and play them.Some feel better than others, but I've never been that picky.

With guitars I can play an old banner Gibson baseball bat, or a 1 5/8 nut width like my old Epiphone has. Old teens Gibson ovals are fine, so is the Eastman skinny. I do seem to prefer bigger frets, but it's not a dal breaker. I have small hands.

I feel everything is a compromise. You gain something and loose something else.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1