Thread: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Default RIP Anthony Bourdain

A smart and witty Chef who took us everywhere with his great stories and adventures is no longer with us. Hard to believe, he was bigger than life. RIP Anthony Bourdain!

2. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Incredibly sad.

As someone that has taken one of those phone calls and then had to tell my wife a brother had taken his life, you don't ever forget, and the trail of grief left is very long and painful. Good reason for us all to exercise an extra measure of patience and support in public spaces.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

As Cafe participants are about 95% male, designer Kate Spade's suicide earlier this week may not be as high on the radar. Between Spade and Bourdain it's been a bad week, and proof that no one has the world on a string.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

The next person to do this may be close to you. Be an encourager!

The right word spoken at the right time is as beautiful as gold apples in a silver bowl.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to General Johnston For This Useful Post:

Incredibly sad. We are losing too many great people this way.

It is becoming more and more apparent how difficult it is for people to feel safe in seeking help when their feelings don't make rational sense to those who are not seeing from inside their lens.

May we all learn a little more perspective so we are able to lend an ear and shoulder when times are hard for our loved ones.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scott R For This Useful Post:

Very sad.

I went to high school with Anthony - Tony, then - he was a year older and was quite the rebel who faced and overcame personal struggles in life to achieve world renown, but sadly succumbed to his demons. We should all count our blessings, every day.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bourdain meant a lot to me. Surprisingly so for someone that I only know from television. He not only transformed the genre but an entire culture.

Most of us will never know what he was going through on a personal level, but from a professional standpoint, he was at the top of his game.

I will miss him.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

14. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

A good dude that will be missed. I never thought I'd enjoy watching a "cooking show," but his perspective and attitude made it much more than that. Very educational. RIP, Anthony Bourdain.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

My guitar players father suffered from very serious depression after surviving his wife in a car accident, he ended his life sadly as well, I have never felt so sorry for a family in my life.
    I was one of the last people to speak with him in this life, I will never forget that.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

I will never forget the phone call I got from my mother saying that my father took his life. Regardless of the fact that we hadn't spoken in 10 years, it was (and still is) incredibly devastating. There is nothing cowardly about the act, it is merely the weight of life (and really Depression) wear a person down until the very thought of living one more day is unbearable and impossible.

My father was one who gave me a love for music, and I'll never forget that.

RIP to those that lost the battle, for now you truly are at peace. For those in the struggle, you are never alone and someone is there for you, whether you know it or not.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ian Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Very sad.

I went to high school with Anthony - Tony, then - he was a year older and was quite the rebel who faced and overcame personal struggles in life to achieve world renown, but sadly succumbed to his demons. We should all count our blessings, every day.
    This interview of Mr. Bourdain by David Remnick of The New Yorker is very insightful. I recommend it highly.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/th...-david-remnick

22. The following members say thank you to saxdog for this post:

Terrible loss in many ways. I admired his work so much by the way he embraced with gusto other people and their culture. He made the world seem better and full of people who just like me are most content while eating and drinking with their friends and families.

Blog Entries

For sure sad, I was a fan of his, me being into well food and showing the different cultures, he showed us that there is no box, there are many wonderful things around the globe. Its too bad whatever way he went in the end and each of us I'm sure knows someone this has tragically went down that path. Everyone be it rich or poor has their demons/problems/struggles and hardships. It is a sad and mournful way to go. Be good to one another life is fairly short as it is.

My condolences too, it is so sad that this can happen, especially to someone so young. I actually didn’t know Bourdain, but it is touching all the same since often this outcome can be prevented. Kate Spade and Inés Zorreguieta Cerruti also come to mind.
    May they rest in peace.

My mother died of "natural" causes in 1995. My wife and I, and our daughters, were with her as she passed. Until dementia took her there was not a day she did not give to others...whether it was working in homeless shelters, helping "old folks" or just visiting others to see what she could do to help. I was prompted to think about her life and write: "When you leave this life, there are only two things left behind...what you've gotten and what you've given! Precious few care at all about what you've gotten!" I believe many people who take their own lives do so because they are not reminded about what they've given in life, rather struggling because of what they don't have! When you can, be sure to give those whom you know, reminders of what they mean to you and others! Never pass the opportunity to credit them for who they are and what they've done for others!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

My wife and I went out for Thai food, in his honor, last night. (that's the most exotic cuisine we have around here!) Also, during the day running errands, I heard a nice interview on NPR with him. His death gave me a lot to think about, even though I only knew him from TV.

Anthony took me along to the places I can only dream about. Celebrities pass every week, but his death took the wind out of my day.
    Last edited by Al Trujillo; Jun-09-2018 at 9:25am. Reason: Misspelled

Sure feels like losing a friend, just so sad

Anthony Bourdain and my brother had a lot in common.. both witty and brilliant among other things.
    RIP

Glenn Gregory Hildreth.......... June 6,1945-November 12, 1982.. He was 37
    He would have been 73 this past week.
    RIP
    Bixby Bridge half way between Carmel Highlands and Big Sur. Parked his 1970 VW Bus half top Westphalia in the middle of
    the bridge and took a flier. I had to go to the scene and retrieve his bus. (A friend drove me in my 1971 VW bus.) You do not forget, it changed my life forever.

Anthony's death touched me, like millions of others who never met him, I felt like I'd lost a friend. He had a way of telling stories that made you listen. The world is a sadder place without him.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

When I read the thread "Amusing Story", I thought of anthony bourdain ... I watched his show regularly, and I was always surprised by his affection and empathy with all the people of different cultures in the world he visited ... cooking with a family in a favela in Rio or a family in Finland ... we will surely miss it!