Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Prop

Question Pub Prop

I see them on Amazon UK , as an each, where can I get several, in the same shipment ,
    Across the Pond, since they , minus the C clamps don't weigh much..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

2. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Default Re: Pub Prop

It doesn't seem to be very well made or sturdy, IMHO. I don't think I would trust a valuable instrument to a Pub Prop.

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Assuming it's this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pub-Prop-Po...words=pub+prop - I've been using one for years and they work very well.

I bought one of the original ones from the person who invented them (amazing who you meet at guitar shows; I bought my G7 Capo from the man who invented those as well!) The design appears to have changed since though.

The one I have is firm enough to hold a dreadnaught guitar against a table and I've even been known to hang a mandolin from it whilst playing the guitar. One thing you need to bear in mind, however, is that they tend to work better on tables with square, rather than scalloped, edges particularly if it's a round table.

Not sure how they would work without the C clamps.

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Guess I can always get a Bandsaw, for a wooden DIY..

Not sure how they would work without the C clamps.
    I don't have to import, drive on left, C clamps, we have them here..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I am using one for years now. Safest place for your instrument in a pub situation. I removed the rubber tip from the screw since it tends to get lost anyway.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

9. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Is this similar? D'Addario Guitar Dock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51N3uC8xtRL._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	168336
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Is this similar? D'Addario Guitar Dock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51N3uC8xtRL._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	168336
    From the looks of that, the guitar is supposed to stand on the ground while the neck is just saved from falling over.
    The pub prop, OTOH, is for actually hanging your instrument, and it has several insertable fitting pieces to accommodate the narrower necks of mandolins and even fiddles (it has a hook for hanging the bow, too).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

13. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    From the looks of that, the guitar is supposed to stand on the ground while the neck is just saved from falling over.
    The pub prop, OTOH, is for actually hanging your instrument, and it has several insertable fitting pieces to accommodate the narrower necks of mandolins and even fiddles (it has a hook for hanging the bow, too).
    I don't think the original pub prop was ever intended as a hanger although it is possible to hang a mandolin from one, as I've said. (You'd have to find a very low table to use it for mandolin with the endpin on the ground.) They were designed for the traditional British pub session where it's difficult to find somewhere to put your guitar whilst you head for the bar to spend your beer tokens or to the gent's to reduce the effects of the beer.

I use the pub prop, like the d'addario it's designed to let large heavy instruments sit on the floor and to how smaller instruments, like mandolin or fiddle, suspended. There's every a hook for a bow. Mine holds both my mandolin and walnut banjo fine. No problems here.

16. The following members say thank you to Paul Brett for this post:

Regular user of the Pub Prop -nt the one in the pictures above in this thread. Last night we had three in action around the same table in our weekly session. Guitar sits on the floor and mandolin or fiddle can be hung from the prop (there are fittings supplied to reduce the space in the grip part to accommodate the thin necks of mandos and fiddles). My only caveats in using them: they are safest on a table with good square edges and you have to be aware that many pubs have tiled floors, so do not put your guitar down too heavily when using the prop.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

18. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Frankly, at a pub, bar or festival I would never leave any instrument out of its case regardless how stable the hardware is. I learned that long ago when I left my Gibson on a couch at a session in a friend’s living room and another friend almost sat on it. Even on gigs on a protected stage. I do use a solid guitar stand sometimes for gigs and also a fiddle clamp on a stable mic stand once in a while. Usually whatever instrument, if it is not in my hand then it is in its case.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

From what I read here, it seems to be a popular item. I guess English pubs are more civilized that Mississippi beer joints. Down here, I would worry about two guys slugging it out and go flying over the table, taking the guitars with them!!!

22. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I guess English pubs are more civilized that Mississippi beer joints.
    That might even apply for Irish pubs.
    But then I never been to MS I never experienced the scene you described - otherwise a session would not even survive there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Usually whatever instrument, if it is not in my hand then it is in its case.
    The typical session the pub prop was made for leaves not enough elbow room for the maneuvers of picking up the case, opening it, placing the instrument inside and closing it. The next invention for that situation will be protection goggles against the bow of the fiddler to you right...

25. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

In our sessions, you generally have to leave your case in a different room. The paranoids tell me that if you take an instrument out of it's case too often you'll eventually wear out the strings.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ... The paranoids tell me that if you take an instrument out of it's case too often you'll eventually wear out the strings.
    And the frets.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    And the frets.
    ...not to speak of tuner batteries

30. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

The typical session the pub prop was made for leaves not enough elbow room for the maneuvers of picking up the case, opening it, placing the instrument inside and closing it. The next invention for that situation will be protection goggles against the bow of the fiddler to you right...
    And a vinyl lap apron, to catch the condensation from the flute player to your left!

One session I attend doesn't even have a table nearby, just a tight-packed circle of players. We move the tables out of the way to cram in another couple of chairs. No room to haul out a case and pack the mandolin away, if I'm visiting the restroom or ordering a drink at the bar.

Ah, but I have the ultimate instrument holder accessory: my fiddler Significant Other, who will hold my mandolin while I'm away from the group. And I'll hold her fiddle and bow, likewise.

32. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    And a vinyl lap apron, to catch the condensation from the flute player to your left
    It has not happened to me, but I have seen it happen. Session oilskins may be the next big thing, and it will be called the Drool Drape...

...not to speak of tuner batteries
    Lol... frets, strings, tuner batteries... Clearly, it just costs too much to play! Hmm, did that reason make it into JeffD's "Reasons to avoid jamming" thread a year or so ago? I can't remember now.

But back to the original topic, those instrument-holder devices look intriguing and they're giving me ideas. I could use a version of something like that even at home, would take up less space than regular instrument stands (I like to have commonly-used items within reach). I just got rid of a 3-instrument stand I had at home because it wasn't as useful (nor as high quality) as I'd thought it would be, and it took up too much floor space (support legs were deeper than necessary for small-to-medium size instruments).

So something like the Pub Prop or similar, could be handy. My computer/music area has two tables forming a sort of "L" shape, and both have the requisite nearly-square edges. I could easily fit at least one instrument next to the little Roland Micro Cube amplifier below (and at the side of) one of the tables - would be a good use of otherwise-unused vertical space.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I’ve used one for at least 15 years without any problem. They are strong, secure and good for what they were designed for. The alternative is to put your instruments back in their cases (there isn’t always room in a session for that) when changing over or taking a comfort break or lean them against a table or chair (now I have seen that end in disaster on a number of occasions).

You don't have to order from UK.

https://www.amazon.com/Pub-Prop-Port...words=pub+prop

Actually looks like it could be handy for some of the open mic situations I have encountered.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

they have a phone number?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

listed is 44-782-804-0620,

44 is a UK international Phone code, USA is 01 for the international calling code
    so its still a UK seller.

anyone over there want to ask about getting a few in the same package,
    for a price reflecting the lower cost of 1 box vs a box for each?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have never used one or seen one used so I could be off base but---
    Just looking at it you have to admit you catch yourself thinking...

"When could that ever be a good idea?" Dangle your instrument from a pub table ? What possibly could go wrong ?

Do they make one that attaches to the trailer hitch ball on your car so it will be convenient when you travel ?

Why not a stand that attaches to your handle bars for when you bike?

Did you notice in the picture for the promo that the instrument it was holding was an acoustic Fender guitar?

'nough said.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.