Thread: Ibanez mandolin for beginners?

Default Ibanez mandolin for beginners?

A friend of mine has just decided to pick up the mandolin and has already found something that, to my inexperienced eyes, seems like a good purchase.

It's a used Ibanez M615-OPN A-style in good condition for just over $100.

Does anyone here have any experience or general insight when it comes to this mandolin?
    Is it a good recommendation for a beginner?

As always any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Ibanez mandolin for beginners?

get it from a seller that does pre delivery set up or add that shop time
    for having it done, to the cost.
    no need for a beginner to fight a hard to play mandolin.

But as a Brand name (sight unseen) Ibanez is OK.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Setup is a really important thing.Even an expensive mandolin will be difficult to play and not sound it's best. It's well worth the money spent to get it done right by someone who knows what they're doing.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It will probably need a set up which will double the price if he can't do it himself. It would then be a decent srarter mandolin. In the 70's and 80's the Ibanez, Aria, and Alvareze were about the only decent starters. I'm not sure if they would be the best today, but the price sounds acceptable to me.

Agreed that the price is ok if it is in good condition... Setup is more than 50% of the final outcome. I see you are in Costa Rica, so most of us have no idea to your market. I would assume a city the size of San Jose would have a good luthier to take it to, but that is just a guess.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

As everyone else has said a good setup is the important part almost any brand would do for a starter. Now I'm a big fan of Ibanez mostly their guitars but I have a nice collection of vintage Ibanez mandolins. Seems like the newer ones are ok I have played some that just sounds ok but have also played some really nice sounding ones. I'm taking my Ibanez 522 with me today I'm going to the dead and company and always jam in the parking lot
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Well it is being bought used, so a nice set up would have to be done by a luthier post purchase.
    But you are obviously all right. I remember how close to impossible it was to play my mandolin before I got it set up when I got started last year. Two different mandolins for sure.

Yes I'm in Costa Rica, but the fellow buying it isn't though. And good for him. I've had to use guitar luthiers with limited to no knowledge of mandolins down here so far.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that for around $100 it would be hard for him to find something better.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My guess is that it would be hard to find better for that price. I'd buy it. And it may be set up just fine if the previous owner cared about these things.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

If it's playable, it's good for a beginner. If all the frets up to the heel work and the setup doesn't cause any extreme finger, hand, or arm pain, it should be fine.

To music students, differences in sound and playability are much more apparent with guitars than mandos. The differences in mandos are huge to people who have been around them for a while, but it takes a while before new players start to notice them.

So a beginner mando really just has to be functional. Your friend will know when it's time for an upgrade.

10. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post: