Thread: Kelley #058

Default Kelley #058

Picked on this one last night at a jam. What a beast! Clean and precise build lines, well-apportioned, easy to play and get tone, loud (but not strident or harsh), just a joy to hold and behold. It sported gold EVO frets, which I love.

Skip builds a good'urn...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kelley #058

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Picked on this one last night at a jam. What a beast! Clean and precise build lines, well-apportioned, easy to play and get tone, loud (but not strident or harsh), just a joy to hold and behold. It sported gold EVO frets, which I love.

Skip builds a good'urn...
    I own #55, one of Skip's redwood topped mandolins. It's a superbly built mandolin with incredibly great sound. I also once owned a Kelley A model that a friend now has and it's the best sounding mandolin I've ever heard, anywhere! Mr Kelley is a true craftsman and knows what he's doing in the shop for sure.!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4139.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	598.8 KB 
ID:	168522

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pjones3 For This Useful Post:

Still love my #54 every time I pick it up! Just got done drooling over #65 pics on Mando Mutt. mmmmmmm
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

6. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Drew,

Any further intake on the Nugget tailpiece? I am so accustomed to mine by now, it's like I've had it on there forever and cannot imagine using any other t/p. String changes, size, fit, footprint, looks - it's all good.

8. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Drew,

Any further intake on the Nugget tailpiece? I am so accustomed to mine by now, it's like I've had it on there forever and cannot imagine using any other t/p. String changes, size, fit, footprint, looks - it's all good.
    I like it! Have not changed strings yet since putting it on (though it's about time) but the initial string-up was pretty easy. I pointed it out to Mike Marshall in our last video lesson and he thought it was pretty cool. He questioned if there was any tonal difference because the total length of the string had changed.
    I could not really say that it is any different other than I also lowered the action a bit so I think I lost a little low end there. I may raise it back up slightly next time.
    I wasn't sure about the look from just seeing photos, but after I got it on there I like it a lot. Thanks for your recommendation!
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

10. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

They are really cool tailpieces...unless you live in the Pacific Northwest and wear wool three seasons a year. The tailpiece snags the long sleeve on the right arm assuming you are not a lefty. I had one for a while and it trashed several Ibex and Smartwool long sleeve garments. I love the simplicity of it, though.

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Roberts for this post:

That's interesting, Jim. I often wonder that about folks who leave the tailpiece cover off. But, on second thought, I guess it might be difficult to get down to those barbs, since their only 1/16" tall and are shielded by the bent sides of the TP.
    Mitch Russell

14. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    They are really cool tailpieces...unless you live in the Pacific Northwest and wear wool three seasons a year. The tailpiece snags the long sleeve on the right arm assuming you are not a lefty. I had one for a while and it trashed several Ibex and Smartwool long sleeve garments. I love the simplicity of it, though.
    I may be off here, but what might be the culprit are the strings themselves, with their windings right above the loop. My strings have a bit of a roughness to them there. A wrap of velcro over that area may mitigate. I don't have that issue, as my forearm rides north of the t/p, on the mandolin rim.

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Would you happen to have a contact for Skip, email or phone. I just bought Vintage F 2017 and wanted to talk to him about it. Thanks. Buddy McClary hmmcclary@yahoo.com
    Buddy McClary

18. The following members say thank you to Budrow for this post:

Buddy, congrats on what I am sure is a killer mando.

I agree with AlanN about the string windings, though like him I generally keep my right arm above the tailpiece enough that it does not cause a problem. Just as a preventative I do have some grommets on the strings at that location.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

20. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post: