Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Beater": Yes or No

Default Re: The "Beater": Yes or No

I think they key to this is in your statement: "Should I just keep the damn Loar as my "beater"

Why do you describe it as damned? Look into your soul, and tell yourself how you feel about this instrument. Will you be happy playing it instead of the Northfield in these instances?

If it was me, I'd take the F52 everywhere you described. At a music festival with jams, why wouldn't you take the Northfield? One night of cigar smoke shouldn't harm the instrument, and it can easily be stored in its case if the smoke is too thick. The only reason I'd take the Loar is if I expected it to be out of my hands or its case for any substantial amount of time, or intended to loan it to some sticky fingered kids.

The decision to keep or sell is a tougher question, are you under any spousal pressure to thin the herd? Or are you following the one in, one out philosophy to keep the herd manageable? If not, keep it around, even if it becomes mainly a wall hanging decoration. You never know when you will need it.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Play that Northfield imo. It's a nice mando but not a collectors item. I play my NF at gigs, jams, campfires, and renaissance festivals. When I need to play a mandolin, I play my NF. It's my mandolin. I don't take underwater gigs. I don't take outdoor winter gigs. I do keep it in the case whenever I'm not playing it. It will get honest wear.

I like those beautiful old gibsons. Some of them 100 years old. It looks like they lived!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

One man's "beater" is another's treasure. One day, I aspire to have something like a 590.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

4. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Here on the Mandolin Cafe, the approved MAS solution to your problem is to buy an even better mandolin. Then, sell the Loar and use the Northfield as your "beater."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

In this instance, I'm in the take the Northfield camp. Over many years and countless guitars, I realized my favorite balance is with an instrument I want to play, but isn't so irreplaceable that I don't feel safe with it out of my sight.

Am getting the same way with mandolin. Am happy enough with what I have. And if I need to perform in less than ideal conditions, I'm not going to worry.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I was actually looking for a "beater" mandolin when the "$199.00 solid F style" Michael Kelly sale came up in late 2016. I got one for myself (and 3 others for friends for Christmas) and was able to set mine up almost exactly like my F-9. It is perfect for when I intentionally go into a risky environment where I don't want to take a chance of loosing or mortally damaging my F-9.

With the armrest, ToneGard, pick guard, strap and tuner I probably have about $500 into my MK, plus a thorough setup that I did myself. But if I don't look or listen too carefully, I can't tell that I'm not playing my F-9. So the MK is more than just a beater, it's a backup.

That is my criteria: if I know I'm going to be in a "risky environment", that's when I pull out the MK. Otherwise, I play my F-9. Stuff happens unexpectedly, sure, and something could still happen while playing my F-9; so in the case that I can't play my F-9, I have the MK setup and ready to use as a backup.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Don't like the concept of a "beater" but like the idea of having backup instrument.
    When I got my Pava the Eastman 515 became backup. In Texas I would worry about subjecting handmade instrument to temperatures outdoors at festivals and jams. And I would worry about airlines, traveling with it in the trunk of the car, or leaving it at a campsite. I don't worry as much when it's the backup. And when one goes in for service there is something to play. And there is something for my wife to mess around with.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OlDanTucker For This Useful Post:

While I too have a 199.00 MK, and I'm glad I do, I'd rather have something like a Flatiron Festival someone had gigged with for twenty years and dragged to jams and festivals and gotten naturally distressed. Maybe it would have a crack or two or a broken headstock scroll. I have three guitars that when I knock them into something, I can't tell which is the new ding. I'm glad I'm not ever playing a so so guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I play my primary axe out at jams/gigs/etc. I am certainly not afraid to play it and I prefer it. But I do have an ever changing circulation of back up axes that I take with me as a backup when I don't feel comfortable bringing a mandolin as expensive as my primary mandolin. For example, I am heading to Mexico and wouldn't want to bring a Duff mandolin, but will be practicing and playing and will need a mandolin that I enjoy enough to take out of the case and play but not so expensive that I will be devastated it something happens to it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

I'm still trying to understand the part about bringing bourbon and cigars to church. The mandolin would be incidental imo...
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mugbucket For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mugbucket View Post
    I'm still trying to understand the part about bringing bourbon and cigars to church. The mandolin would be incidental imo...
    Same here. I am curious about joining up. "Honey, I'm going to church tonight" sounds better than "I'm going out for cigars and bourbon".

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scott Rucker For This Useful Post:

I've finally found the church that would be a great fit for me.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mugbucket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    Same here. I am curious about joining up. "Honey, I'm going to church tonight" sounds better than "I'm going out for cigars and bourbon".
    You guys need to hang out with more Calvinist.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastMohican For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    I've finally found the church that would be a great fit for me.
    We all seek salvation in our own way...

https://youtu.be/leVnnvx_kco
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Blog Entries

I think sometimes, maybe often, logic is not logical, but under the influence of desire.

For example, often enough times when I have just acquired a new mandolin, the rush, the high, so wonderful. For about half a day it made total sense to me to buy yet another mandolin. I had reasons I could defend piled on reasons i could defend.

But it was wanting another fix that was driving, certainly not me.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

If you can, I say keep the Loar for the various reasons that others have already pointed out. However I also add that, barring large bodies of water approaching or potential incoming, take the Northfield and play that everywhere you can. I think that one should always try to play the one that turns your crank whenever possible. For the actual travel aspect, just get a good case, but there really is little danger of real damage in most playing situations. That being said I remember a guy that carefully raised his guitar at a jam to avoid having it hit any chair backs only to have the head encounter the overhead fan... just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think sometimes, maybe often, logic is not logical, but under the influence of desire.

For example, often enough times when I have just acquired a new mandolin, the rush, the high, so wonderful. For about half a day it made total sense to me to buy yet another mandolin. I had reasons I could defend piled on reasons i could defend.

But it was wanting another fix that was driving, certainly not me.
    well said.....I have tried two guitars at many stages of my life and it never works out for me, It is always the rush of acquiring that starts it. You can only play one at a time. My mandolin is my main axe and my beater...cause I only have one!
    1988 Flatiron F5 Artist
    2017 Collings D1
    Taylor GS mini hog

Traveled by bicycle on a long trip with something like this, aboard, a pocket mandolin .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket01.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	168326

though mine was only 20" long overall , this looks longer ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    You guys need to hang out with more Calvinist.
    Or Catholics!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I had the same feelings about a beater guitar.Yet,I never really enjoyed a "true beater instrument",so I sold them and basically use my least expensive one(a fine Eastman) for this purpose.

I'm a serial monogamist when it comes to instruments, so I don't really get the "beater" concept. I spend a lot of time bonding with and learning how to coax a desirable tone out my mandolin. I mess around with action and strings and picks and right hand technique, etc. I can't imagine doing this with multiple mandolins complicating the process. Plus, why would I subject any instrument that I like to dangerous conditions? I've taken my NF camping a number of times, but I don't use it to stir the fire or swat mosquitoes. I've carried it through the rain at any number of festivals, but I don't actually stand out in the rain playing it. It's far from pristine, but instruments are tools that are meant to be used. The NF is the priciest instrument I've owned, and it would suck if something happened to it, but it's not irreplaceable.

I have actually commissioned a custom A (something I had never imagined would happen), so it's likely the NF will get put aside for bonding with the newbie. I'm super excited about the new mandolin, but thinking about the NF being sidelined really saddens me. It's hard being a monogamist.
    Mitch Russell

Blog Entries

"If you must use your banjo as a snow shovel, do so:
    only don''t wonder if it sounds dull afterwards."

-- S.S. Stewart catalog, 1896.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Another reason for having a second mandolin is not so much as a beater as a back up. What happens if your #1 has to go to the shop for a little TLC? Then at least you have a spare to carry you through.
    Yep. I need to send my A5 in for some work soon. It's kinda nice to have a backup. I had an inexpensive mandolin (beater?) at work for a while and missed the heck out of a better mandolin every time I played it.

I used to be solidly in the “have a beater” camp. For guitar, my Guild D40 serves that role. It came to me with finish checking at an amazing price, and I’ve added forearm finish hazing and a nice chip off finish and binding on the lower bout...happened at a friend’s lake house on a night with lots of beverages, music, a couple of cigars, and an outstanding time had by all. I have no idea, honestly, when the chip occurred, and could care less. It’s a great spruce/hog guitar, and I play it often at home and in church. Would be sad if I lost it, but it’s not irreplaceable, and the memories will be there regardless.

We’re in the process of down sizing, and I’m gonna let a few instruments go, all of which I actually really like. I very rarely take an instrument into truly high risk situations, and am debating whether to sell all but the Kelley A and the RM-1, or to keep either the Eastman 315 or Flatiron 1N as my “beater.” Neither are actually beaters, they’re actually all very nice instruments. I’d be very sad if something happened to the Kelley, but I’m at a place in life where I could replace it if I had to...more debating to occur, for sure...
    Chuck

Leaving aside the question of "beater" -- a term I find a bit dismissive, and not too descriptive (are you really planning to beat it?) -- a second mandolin makes a lot of sense. Instruments need adjustments, sometimes even repairs, and it's good too have one in reserve if the "main" one goes into the shop. Or, your mandolin-playing friend stops in, didn't bring his/her instrument, but you two can jam together. Or your nephew wants to learn some mandolin, and you can loan him mandolin #2, or sit with him and show him some licks and chords. Or, you're thinking of trying an alternate tuning of some kind. Or, whatever...

Sometimes it helps if the two mandolins are different, not two f-hole, carved-top F-models. I have over a dozen mandolins and mandolin family, no two alike. But the concept of "mandolin redundancy" has always appealed. Ya never know.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM