Thread: Northfield Artist vs. Brentrup M23?

Default Northfield Artist vs. Brentrup M23?

So I've got my eye on this amazing looking and sounding Northfield Artist.

The only rub is that, for not much more, I could get my hands on a Brentrup M23, albeit sight unseen.

Is it crazy to spend upwards of ~5k on an instrument assembled in China, even if it is an absolutely killer instrument?

Just curious about y'all's thoughts.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield Artist vs. Brentrup M23?

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
    Is it crazy to spend upwards of ~5k on an instrument assembled in China, even if it is an absolutely killer instrument?
    Let your ears and hands be the judges, forget the name on the headstock and everything else.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Neverisky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    Let your ears and hands be the judges, forget the name on the headstock and everything else.
    I totally hear you! I was thinking more from a resell standpoint, in case my mandolin journey takes me away from F-style F-holes at some point . . .

The Northfield craftspeople and Mr. B. have earned their reputations as luthiers.

What Michael N. said. . .

Blog Entries

I totally hear you! I was thinking more from a resell standpoint
    A good sounding instrument can always find a home, I think. Used instruments fare better than new regarding recouping money paid. On the other hand, even if you lose a few hundred dollars on a sale you might consider it the cost of the experience of owning the instrument - a rental fee, maybe. That's how I have rationalized it for myself anyway. I always learn something from playing a new instrument.

Buy the instrument that inspires you to practice and become a better musician now and worry about the next instrument later.

My $.02.

7. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

Blog Entries

Hans Brentrup's work is amazing. If you buy it used, getting that back is almost guaranteed. If I had this choice, I would go for the Brentrup with a 48 hour approval period and get it looked over real fast to ensure there are no serious issues. That's just me.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Nano second response..
    Bentrup.

Presuming it is what you expect and can return it etc.

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

If it were me, I'd go with the Brentrup. Unless it's got flaws (unlikely), it's statistically more likely to sound better than, and certainly no worse than, the Northfield. But personal preferences are just that, so there's no telling what YOU'd like best.

For playing: Go with what you like. NF Artists sound amazing. So do Brentrups.

For resale: Brentrup. A well regarded luthier who isn't producing many (any?) more mandolins vs a small but active company. I would think the Brentrup would get a higher price at resale (if all else is equal).
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Hans is no longer building anything. I treasure my Brentrup oval. I don't think you can go wrong with that, esp if there is an approval period. If you are spending that much money it is worth it to check it out and if it doesn't please you, worth the price to ship it back. Hans' instruments don't show up for sale that often.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I probably saw the one you are looking at (I think there are two currently for sale/one of them from Germany). On the surface the decision seems pretty obvious and I thought that price was really low or a mistake. I started doing some research and there were two concerns that were noted with the M23, it seemed he heft the tops thicker than normal and the necks were chunky. So the asking price for both seem to be some where close to what others sold for so not bargain, those both have been for sale for a while so not sure resale on that specific mandolin is great. At that price point and if you are open to used there should be many really good choices of mandolins.

Brentrup. Full stop.

I have been playing a Brentrup 21 for many years, every time MAS rears it's ugly head I play my Brentrup and just figure a new one woundn't sound better so why? The top on mine is fairly thick and it is a heavy mandolin, not light like an old Martin. I think he did that so you can play heavy as you want and it will just keep going. My neck is not chunky tho and I like how thin it is. My old Gibson is not light either, but rather heavy also and it also sounds very good, tho different. The Gibson has a 1 1/4" nut so you might say the neck is chunky, I wanted that when I got it. Now that I am used the the thin neck of the Brentrup I prefer that, but the only thing that keeps me from playing the Gibson more is not the chunky/wide neck, but the reach up the neck (short). I have only seen one 21 for sale in ten years and that was recently. I have seen a few 23's for sale, depends on the time frame with the neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

First of all, Northfield is a handful of people, not a Chinese factory operation, assembly or otherwise. They assemble them in China partly because that’s where the individual is who does that step in the process. It’s not the same approach that Kentucky takes.

Having owned lots of Brentrups, yes, they are heavy, especially the F5 models, and the necks can be fairly large. I believe the one in Germany was mine at one time. Hans used mahogany blocks in the F5s, which adds a bit of weight.

I’d say try them side by side if you can, but don’t buy with resale in mind. The market is a fickle thing.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jun-07-2018 at 9:57pm.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I like pops1's and Mandobar's assessments of Brentrups and I can concur thought I would never call them heavy. I don't know of any F-5s that were built to be light and I am not sure if I would compare any carved top mandolin to a Martin mandolin, esp when the OP is comparing Northfield to Brentrup. I have only played one Northfield and only for maybe a minute in the middle of a jam, so I am no expert on those.

OTOH my Brentrup A4C is exactly what I was looking for—the feel of an oval hole Gibson A with more volume, responsiveness and a more modern tone. My main Gibson is an snakehead A-2 and I love the tone of that one but the A4C is my main performing instrument. The neck is probably a bit deeper (not wider) than some other modern mandolins and even a bit chunkier than my snakehead but I am used to both of them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I probably saw the one you are looking at (I think there are two currently for sale/one of them from Germany). On the surface the decision seems pretty obvious and I thought that price was really low or a mistake. I started doing some research and there were two concerns that were noted with the M23, it seemed he heft the tops thicker than normal and the necks were chunky. So the asking price for both seem to be some where close to what others sold for so not bargain, those both have been for sale for a while so not sure resale on that specific mandolin is great. At that price point and if you are open to used there should be many really good choices of mandolins.
    Indeed I am looking at the two used ones available online right now, one being in Germany.

Really interesting observations about this particular model being kind of chunky in neck and top depth. Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in.

The Northfield I'm after is incredibly lively and toneful, responding to delicate touch and mule whip with equal excitement in sound and feel.

I'm kind of feeling "bird in the hand . . ." regarding the Northfield, as I know exactly what it is and have played it at length, but the allure of a true one-man American instrument is still haunting me . . .

A used Northfield can be a fantastic buy and, as someone else said, if you have it a while and sell for a small loss, the consider it being a hire.
    My used Northfield Big Mon was very expensive but I find it hard to imagine a better sounding or looking F5 mandolin. Having said that, I believe I got an exceptionally good one in every way. The China reference is no argument really. If it's a great mandolin then someone will always buy it.

Jimmy P
    UK

Blog Entries

I
    I'm kind of feeling "bird in the hand . . ." regarding the Northfield, as I know exactly what it is and have played it at length, but the allure of a true one-man American instrument is still haunting me . . .
    You may have to get it out of your system then and buy the Brentrup. You may be forever happy, or not.. either way you will be able to speak from experience about owning such an instrument.

If you tell us who has the fine sounding Northfield for sale I'm sure someone will step in and do something to make the decision simpler! 8-)

Indeed I am looking at the two used ones available online right now, one being in Germany.

The Northfield I'm after is incredibly lively and toneful, responding to delicate touch and mule whip with equal excitement in sound and feel.
    Sounds to me like you should buy the Northfield. Then if you're ever "haunted" by the allure of an American made instrument, you could just pick up your Northfield and experience the above.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com