Thread: Tailpiece Cover: Standard Size??

Default Tailpiece Cover: Standard Size??

Hi, I have an F-5 copy from J. Bouvier that I really love. I somehow lost the cover for the metal thing at the bottom where the strings attach (is that called a tailpiece?).

Anyway, I assume that's a standard size and I can just buy a generic one somewhere, correct?

Thanks,
    Mando&Me

Default Re: Tailpiece Cover: Standard Size??

Yes, that's the tailpiece. You should easily be able to buy the whole thing - cover and the bit with the hooks - but you'll be lucky if you find just a cover. There is no standard size and an exact fit is critical otherwise it'll either not go on or it'll drop off. Within limits, you should be able to bend the cover to fit the base.

Even though these look similar the quality really varies. The Stewart MacDonald tailpiece is here. It's decent. You might get lucky and find one that fit your current base but as Ray says they can be different sizes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It’s really difficult to buy just the cover. You usually have to buy the whole thing, both parts. If you’re going to do that anyway, why not take the opportunity to upgrade to a nice one piece cast tailpiece, like an Allen? You wouldn’t have any cover to lose anymore, and string changes will be much easier.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

My mandolin came with a plain tailpiece cover. I wanted an engraved one, so I took a chance and got an inexpensive one from Amazon. It was different but I was able to make it fit. I think they are basically the same general dimensions, but there are fine variations that may be problematic when fitting.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

6. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

As I said, to a certain extent, they're adjustable - with a pair of pliers and a bit of brute force. You often have to adjust the ones that are supposed to fit so don't expect precision engineering.

Totally hit and miss, A cover plate is almost never a direct replacement from one tailpiece to another. As Ray said, you can often bend things to fit.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I honestly wish that you guys could have seen the monstrosity that came fitted to my Michael Kelly 'Legacy' mandolin. The sides had been bent twisted,& somebody must have needed to hammer the thing to get it on,just as i had to do to get it off - once - after that,i bought an Allen cast t/piece.

For a standard '' Gibson style '' t/piece,the ones made my Jaroslav Prucha are very good. In fact i think that Gibson fitted then to their instruments at one time - maybe still do ?. https://gregboyd.com/product/prucha-...ailpiece-gold/,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Had to do quite a bit of work with a pliers to get the Stew-Mac cover to fit on my 1910 Gibson A. Looked like it would be a perfect fit. Not hardly.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

That's why you should change the base as well. Even Gibson covers over the years aren't totally interchangeable.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks, everyone. My apologies for my tardiness for not getting back here sooner. It appears I have to change notifications to let me know when new things pop up. New around here.

Again, many thanks for the welcome and all the generous info. Glad I found this forum.

Thanks!
    M&M

You're welcome. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and you'll soon be as adicted to the mandolin as the rest of us,

The J.Bovier mandolins are usually considered to be very good instruments. If you intend to replace the whole tailpiece,there are 2 'good' options. 1) The James tailpiece,possibly the very best 'trad. style tailpiece on the market. 2) The 'cast' Allen style tailpieces.

Both are very good - some folks prefer one style,others,the other style. Of course the more simple 'cast' Allen style is less expensive,
    Ivan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615_AllenTailpieceTR2-Gold_TailpieceTR2-Gold (Medium).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	168300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allen AG-TR1G Tailpiece (Medium).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	168301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Mandolin tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	168302
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    You're welcome. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and you'll soon be as adicted to the mandolin as the rest of us,
    Ray, thanks so much. I'm already addicted. I just suck at playing mando, but getting better. Slowly -- too slowly -- my ear is getting better.

I've been playing guitar for more than forty (40) years and picked up mando about 15 years ago. Really love it, and in a song circle I almost always get thrown a lead, since it cuts through so well. This gives me new opportunities to embarrass myself.

BTW, Ray, or anyone: Is there a way to reset my NOTIFICATIONS in here so I receive an email heads up every time a posts is added to a subscribed thread? I feel that I'm sending you folks a message that I'm ignoring you, and that is anything but the case. I'm deeply appreciative.

NOFICATIONS: Can I change mine to be notified of new posts? I can't see a way to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The J.Bovier mandolins are usually considered to be very good instruments. If you intend to replace the whole tailpiece,there are 2 'good' options. 1) The James tailpiece,possibly the very best 'trad. style tailpiece on the market. 2) The 'cast' Allen style tailpieces.

Both are very good - some folks prefer one style,others,the other style. Of course the more simple 'cast' Allen style is less expensive,
    Ivan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615_AllenTailpieceTR2-Gold_TailpieceTR2-Gold (Medium).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	168300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allen AG-TR1G Tailpiece (Medium).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	168301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Mandolin tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	168302
    Ivan, very much obliged. Yes, the J. Bouvier is very, very good. I'm not sure I deserve a genuine Gibby F-5, but the JB will do for now.

I noticed you're in the UK. Do you (or anyone) know of a U.S. source for the tailpieces you mentioned above, and if so would someone perhaps be able to send me links? If there's a Sponsor here on MC I can support with such a purchase, I'd be happy to go that route.

Thanks so Much, Ivan,
    M&M

You can get the Allen tailpieces from the people that make them here.

You can get the James Tailpiece form the company that makes them as well here.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Have a James TP on my Kelley A style, and really like it. All of my others are the traditional stamped kind with the cover, and I’ve had to bend all of them to get a tight fit (most imperceptibly, one very noticeably...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mando&Me View Post

NOFICATIONS: Can I change mine to be notified of new posts? I can't see a way to change that.
    I'm sure there is but I find it easier to simply check everything on the forum every day. Threads you've contributed to are flagged up in green.