Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Km 1000 and it`s American contenders .

Default Kentucky Km 1000 and it`s American contenders .

Hi all

am going to upgrade from my Kentucky KM150 and would like to know what good American mandolins would match the Kentucky KM1000 in price and sound or if there are brands and models that will supercede the Kentucky 1000 in that price. Amazon and Elderly have de Kento at over 1.5K.Would a Siverangel or a Eastman high end be more preferable or would the KM 1000 be a satisfying purchase.My location is the South Coast of New South Wales so may need to pay import duties to purchase from Mandolin Store or the Classified or from other stores stocking the KM 1000.Let me know whether a prospective enticement is the better option, or whether the Kento would suffice being a musician playing original songs and fiddle tunes in a band. What do you say?

KoalaTan

Default Re: Kentucky Km 1000 and it`s American contenders .

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by a “de Kento” mandolin. Google searches as well as Amazon and Elderly searches have all come up empty. Are you sure your spell check didn’t go awry?

You have been playing an A style. Is there an overriding reason you have to have an F style? Your money will probably go further getting a high quality A style.

The KM 1000 is a fine and popular choice. The KM 1050 is similar but has radius fretboard, wider nut, and bigger frets that some folks like. In that price range I would also consider the Eastman 815. The special “performer” model has a built in K and K pickup, for about the same money as you are willing to pay for a Kentucky without one. That might come in handy p,saying in a band. I have played the Eastman 815 and 915 models (not the new blond 915- they aren’t in stock yet) and the Kentucky 1000. All are serious mandolins. It would be difficult to go wrong. For an American made equivalent in quality you would probably have to try and go used. A used Weber Bitterroot or Yellowstone, or a Collings MT, any of those would be on a par with the upper level imports. But new they would be considerably more, even in A style. Also in your price range would be some vintage Gibson A styles, if you want to go that route.

You have some well known, respected mandolin makers right there in Australia. Gilchrist is most likely out of your price range, but Peter Coombe and Graham McDonald are very nice instruments worthy of your consideration.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I did a little addition research of old threads here. Looks like it kind of sucks to be in the market for a mandolin in Australia. Your music dealers there, both on line and brick and mortar, apparently do ridiculously high markups on their products. Other Australians have reported that it is actually cheaper in the long run to order mandolins from US dealers and pay the duty. Seems insane to me. It’s like your Australian dealers are giving away business. FWIW.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Hi Don

thanks for the reply.the abbreviation stands for Kentucky.Am considering the ones you mention.May play the Eastman 815 at Acoustic Centre in Melbourne that means travelling there to audition the Eastman.The Kentucky will be very hard to audition since the only dealer in this brand is Zenith music in Western Australia,.Here is the dilemma!Would I be making a good choice in buying without playing a high end mandolin?Both look good and have good woods.I like the red spruce on the Km1000 but will need to try it, as well as the 815 to see how good the neck feels.Should I buy blind???you mention Peter Combe he has a workshop down the Coast and his mandolin rank highly here, but out of my budget at $4k to purchase a Combee mandolin so the Kentucky and Eastman are more affordable.What are the Silverangel Econo like? on a par with Eastman and Kentucky or better???...t.b.c

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I did a little addition research of old threads here. Looks like it kind of sucks to be in the market for a mandolin in Australia. Your music dealers there, both on line and brick and mortar, apparently do ridiculously high markups on their products. Other Australians have reported that it is actually cheaper in the long run to order mandolins from US dealers and pay the duty. Seems insane to me. It’s like your Australian dealers are giving away business. FWIW.
    Yes absurd that retailers are charging $4KAUS for a Kentucky mandolin.Zenith music in Western Australia won't even match the price of Amazon or The Mandolin Store.So for a professional musician it is best to purchase quality instruments from the US.These people are money mongers.So looks like the competitors overseas win in the long run.Amazon now exists in Melbourne but the online sight does not stock the Eastman of Kentucky models.In Sydney the best place to find the Eastman models is the Guitar Factory in Gladesville .There one can find the 305, 315,505,515 and 615 Eastman.The Eastman 515 sells at $1349 and any other models would be hard to come by.In New South Wales there are no dealers that deal with Kentucky, so one has to shop overseas.Am not dealing with Zenith music where prices for decent mandolins are set by idiots.....pardon the French.

I own a Silverangel Econo that I chose to keep over a Collings MT. My beater is an Eastman 315, and I've recently played a 615, but not an 815. The SA, IMO, has a much more complex depth of tone than the Eastman or any Kentucky I've played to date. The Eastman and Kentucky mandolins can be excellent, and my 315 is a very good one, but the SA will sound better in the majority of cases.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    ...prices for decent mandolins are set by idiots.....pardon the French.
    As you guys say, "No worries." Calling out money - grubbers is a fine old American tradition.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Guys, the retailers are probably not marking up instruments exorbitantly. Tax policies are the likely culprit. Most other places have high taxes to support various services. You pay either way.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I own a Silverangel Econo that I chose to keep over a Collings MT. My beater is an Eastman 315, and I've recently played a 615, but not an 815. The SA, IMO, has a much more complex depth of tone than the Eastman or any Kentucky I've played to date. The Eastman and Kentucky mandolins can be excellent, and my 315 is a very good one, but the SA will sound better in the majority of cases.
    Any opinions on the Kentucky KM1000 versus the Eastman MD 815.Derringer Music in South Australia has the Kentucky at AUS$2650 may see if a better price is negotiable the 12th fret have the Eastman 815 at 1995 Canadian dollars.Now which way to swing prior to playing these beauties.Any photos of the Econo available?

I too own a Silverangel. It is an A model hybrid — it has a split redwood and Italian spruce top. Very satisfying,somewhat darker tone. Like other SA owners I love it. Go to Silverangelmandolins.com. Informative website and Ken is very easy to communicate with and he will probably send you some pictures.
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; Jun-04-2018 at 4:10pm. Reason: Information added

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Bob View Post
    I too own a Silverangel. It is an A model hybrid — it has a split redwood and Italian spruce top. Very satisfying,somewhat darker tone. Like other SA owners I love it. Go to Silverangelmandolins.com. Informative website and Ken is very easy to communicate with and he will probably send you some pictures.
    Thank you.Awesome site.These guys know how to play well and models on offer are truly spectacular in design, woods and sound.Need to start saving .downside no dealers of Silverangel in Oz....tax and import duties a major concern.

Sorry, not exactly. I played a KM 1000 briefly on a trip to Nashville a few years ago, but was interested in getting my education on higher end mandolins on that trip, so didn't really give it a chance. It sounded and played well, but I played so many mandolins that day that only a few really stuck out (like the Giacomel at Gruhn's at the time...wow...). The only 815 I've played was also several years ago, needed a set up, and had dead strings. It was also before they began putting a radius on all of their fret boards...I wouldn't trade my current 315 for it, but it really wasn't at its best at the time I played it, and my ear was much less educated at that time as well.

All that said, the KM 1000 and the Eastman will both be well built mandolins, and if you get a particularly good one, may be all you'll ever really need. I have better mandolins, but if the 315 was the only one I could have, I'd still be happy with it, especially prior to getting the Silverangel. As for comparisons, I think KM 1000 has a flat FB and traditional smaller frets. The Eastman comes with smaller traditional frets but a radius, which I prefer, but not everyone does. Eastman's fretboard usually measures a tad narrower as well. Well set up either will play well. As for tone, I'd guess the Kentucky more often than not falls more into the "traditional Gibson" tone camp, while Eastman is more in the "modern Collings" tone camp. Truly, my 315 sounded very much like the MT I had...not quite as refined or complex, but my family couldn't tell them apart in blind listening tests.

I believe the KM 1050 comes with larger fret wire and a radius if you prefer those features.

Good luck! You're looking at a price point where the true upgrade from beginner models occurs, IMHO.
    Chuck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA49C0A9-CC29-4458-A81D-BDA73D0D0CD7.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	168267

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	9F0EA0D2-59D0-456C-9024-5D83A941A603.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	168268Click image for larger version. 

Chuck

Sorry, not sure why they’re turned sideways, but you get the idea. Yes, Ken’s site will have much better pics than these!
    Chuck

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

My KM1000 has sounded better than most new models up to about $3000 that I've played. Better than a Dave Harvey Fern too (maybe setup problems), but not a Harvey Sam Bush or F5G. I'm looking to upgrade, but the KM1000 doesn't make it easy. I'm hoping to try some Northfields.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Hi Chuck thanks for the feedback.well in all honesty my wish if for Silverangel.(one day).Now for the reality.Am researching both the Eastman and the Kentucky and notice that both are well built.Since I have a KM 150 and find it a pleasure to play am more inclined to turn to the KM 1000 for a possible purchase.however am not taken with the tailpiece of the KM1000 would prefer a cast tailpiece.I don't mind a flat fingerboard and all other things, tuners, woods, finish seem in exceptional order.The Eastman here in Oz would be cheaper and the final decision of the ultimate choice will be in the sound after auditioning both.To do this will need possibly to travel to Melbourne to test it The Kentucky 1000 (what a bummer) since there is no dealer in Sydney, for the Kentucky, and I do not fancy to travel to Western Australia to find that these goons are going to charge me $4K for a Kentucky.The Eastman I can audition in Sydney.So looks like am narrowing my choice to the Chinese models but would prefer the Silverangel, after listening and watching the videos.(Awesome stuff).So at the moment am considering which of the two in the selection will be the better sounding instrument.Time will tell, after analysing both for their sonic potential, ease of playability,components, and final deal from the purchaser.The only thing that is stopping me in ordering the Silverangel is the duties on import which can add a high price for the import of a quality instrument into Oz.....however am thinking that if I can pick a trifecta, my dream, will come true...Lol

buddy KoalaBear,

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	9F0EA0D2-59D0-456C-9024-5D83A941A603.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	168268Click image for larger version. 

What model is this one in the photos???

I don't know Australia's rules, but I've sold and shipped used mandolins to China and England, and neither buyer paid import. I believe there is usually some exemption for used instruments, or if the instrument is sent as a "gift" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Checking with custom... anything over $1000 will attract import duties.Rosewood merchandise imposes heavy import duties.

How much import duties on say, $1500? I would not buy one off Amazon unless you can set it up yourself. NFI--but this looks to be a good buy from the cafe classifieds, from the US: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125271#125271 There are nice upgrades (including $150 James tailpiece. If shipping and duties total less than $500, this one would be of interest to me (of course I like blacktop mandolins!) Good luck to you!
    Russ Jordan

It’s an Econo. The only thing Econo about it is the tailpiece, IMO. It’s a Gibson style stamped one that’s not a James or Allen, but perfectly functional...Beautiful one piece maple back, Spruce too (I think Sitka, but can’t recall with 100% certainty, as I’m the second owner)...
    Chuck

Huff 😎👌

IVe liked the master series Kentuckys that I've played better than any higher end Eastman. The small builder mandolins give a noticeable quality bump at a great price increase, but you might have one for a long time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

What is your opinion on SA Econos comparing them to the Kentuckys and Eastman? sound quality, woods,design playability, components....comparing mandolin types.....

I personally think the depth of tone of an average Silverangel is going to blow the doors off of most Kentuckys and Eastmans. With the two brand names, you are going to get a pretty consistent fit and finish and the peace of mind that comes from dealing with an international company that probably has representatives in your area or at least in your country. Ken Ratcliff is a one man operation and an artist. No two SAs that I have played have been the same but they were all good. Ken gets a good, full response in all registers from every mandolin he builds or it doesn't ship. I really like the Eastman 504 I bought recently, especially when considering it cost less than half of what an SA costs, but it's a short neck oval hole so I can't really compare it to my SA f hole mandolins. The 5 and 6 series f hole Eastmans I have played haven't had the full, rich sound of Silverangel mandolins but they aren't bad mandolins at all. Some have been quite loud, especially in the midrange. I'm unsure what components this year's SA econos will have, but he would probably work with you on the tuners and tailpiece if you have a preference. I saw the prototype stain and finish for this year's econos when I was there picking up a mandolin after some much needed maintenance. The Argentinian Gray is stunning and different, so pretty that my wife wanted me to trade for it on the spot because she loved the color. As far as wood goes, you are going to have to get a higher end Eastman or KY to get quality of maple that all SAs have. I don't remember what top wood he is using this year. Disclosure: I am a Silverangel fan and am fortunate enough to live close enough to Ken to know him personally but NFI, YMMV, etc.