Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kentucky Km 1000 and it`s American contenders .

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Re: Kentucky Km 1000 and it`s American contenders .

The current Eastman 515 is a much better instrument than when it first appeared a dozen or so years ago. Street is under $1K USD, and comes with a lifetime warranty. The KM 1000 is a few hundred dollars more for what seems to me only a slight increase in quality, if any, and only a year for warranty work. On my cost-value matrix the Eastman won and is now in the rotation.

Another option might be a 1970's MIJ Aria, Alvarez, or the like off of Reverb. There are a few nice options for you to consider.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    The current Eastman 515 is a much better instrument than when it first appeared a dozen or so years ago. Street is under $1K USD, and comes with a lifetime warranty. The KM 1000 is a few hundred dollars more for what seems to me only a slight increase in quality, if any, and only a year for warranty work. On my cost-value matrix the Eastman won and is now in the rotation.

Another option might be a 1970's MIJ Aria, Alvarez, or the like off of Reverb. There are a few nice options for you to consider.

Total agreement.Have experience in playing the Eastman 515 and after comparing the sonic texture on its three different registers with the 305, and 315 it would be my choice.....though the 305 is an outstanding instrument.What is your opinion of Ken`s Econo SA A model? ........Like guitars or women are we ever happy with just one.......Lol....

My Silverangel has a depth of tone and a resonance I've never heard in any new Eastman I've ever played, but I have never played an Eastman that had some mileage on it. All have been new or near new. The Silverangel has a richness in the G string in particular that is hard to beat. Mine was mildly distressed and has a cross braced redwood top.

What it doesn't have is a zingy top end. I'm building a mandolin right now that I hope will be more top endy. Spruce and tone bar bracing should make for a sonic contrast.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    My Silverangel has a depth of tone and a resonance I've never heard in any new Eastman I've ever played, but I have never played an Eastman that had some mileage on it. All have been new or near new. The Silverangel has a richness in the G string in particular that is hard to beat. Mine was mildly distressed and has a cross braced redwood top.

What it doesn't have is a zingy top end. I'm building a mandolin right now that I hope will be more top endy. Spruce and tone bar bracing should make for a sonic contrast.

A Photo will suffice..t.y