Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need audio tips for solo video recording

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need audio tips for solo video recording

If you can get hold of an iPad or an iPhone then I think there are two apps you should already have access to from buying the iRig preamp.
    VocaLive3 and iRigRecorder3 these seem pretty powerful for your intended use.

However be very wary of going down the ‘nudderbitokit’ rabbit hole.
    Point 4 in your original post highlights one of the main tools at your disposal, mic placement and room acoustics. The key to developing this is experimentation and using your ears to find or create sweet spots, then using knowledge to find out how the mic needs to be placed to capture those natural effects, while eliminating unwanted artefacts.

A couple of things to try would be to move about the space clapping every now and then while listening to the sounds coming back to your head. Turn your head, climb up high get right down low & find how that room is reacting to the sounds. Once you have some interesting spots to try, get someone to play loudly and quietly through each of the courses on your mandolin while they, then you move position to see how the sounds change. There’ll be some real surprises thrown up by this. Deciding whether they’re good or bad will depend on your ideas & taste in mandolin sound.

Once you have a few key spots and directions to play in, take the mic on a stand and set up to monitor it through your recording chain in as isolated a manner as possible. That could be through closed headphones or earbuds if you’re not set up with loads of kit. Consider getting an extension lead to allow you to check the sound from outside the room to get a more isolated insight into what’s actually going on in the kit. Move the mic about from your listening positions, especially further back or closer. Your head had a definite effect on what you hear by comparison with a mic & different mics need to be located differently to capture that sweet spot sound.

As for corners these can dramatically alter the sound, you could already be coming up against issues such as comb-filtering which could be leading to you hearing the room as dead. Moving things about so there are no paralell surfaces or mics in the same plain as any walls should help
    Last edited by Beanzy; Jun-07-2018 at 9:12am.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Would love to see a video when you are ready to share!
    OK the first video (Dreams/Brandi Carlisle cover) has less limiter but some clipping even though the volume is not that comparatively high. Yeah I know it has strumming and timing issues-I'm just learning the song and not a very fast learner). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lib0_bz1mx4

This second one (Over The Edge/Sarah Jarosz- but I have to do it different because she is talented) has more limiter engaged and even suckier tone. Sure a lot of that is just me sucking (not that fond of my simplified version of this song yet) but some is the recording tone (I've recorded this song before thru apogee duet into GB with no video and sounds much better- ie maybe not great but certainly less nasal/tinny than this video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fGdyvqJi4

Here is the one recorded through apogee into sm58 mic into GB for mild editing( just tiny nit of reverb). Also added a little mando and back up vocals since I could over dub: https://soundcloud.com/bill-seasharp...edge-4-combo-2

Its embarrassing sharing but I'm here to learn and to get better so...
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

4. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Nice playing and singing! There certainly are a lot of variables at play, I'm working on improving the sound quality of my own videos as well, hence the interest. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

6. The following members say thank you to Baron Collins-Hill for this post:

Astro 

Blog Entries

The Louise is set up for the vocals ok, but are you trying to capture both vox & guitar on that? if so it’s a big ask to expect it to do the job so close. It’s good for the bass boost but you might be better off going for 20” or 2ft or so and lifting the bass (eq if needed). You’ll also cope with transients better and can possibly take out any limiters etc. At a further distance you could possibly use a compromise position positioning it at a height 1/2 way between your mouth & the guitar and get a better result with more of the room ambience.

Here are the Louise response graphs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E83D2486-77C7-4BC2-B96B-8F2652E51CA6.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	168360

Alternatively you could try mic positions above which intersect both your mouth and the guitar below. (High over left shoulder aiming towards the neck-body join?) You’ll have to watch for ceiling reflections so might need to get creative with quilts on mic stands overhead out of shot. Or stick an old quilt to a Celotex panel and mount an LED under to get some light back.

Otherwise maybe stick with the Louise for the vox & get something like the AKG C1000s for the giutar and mix them. You can run the AKG from a battery if a second phanthom power source is an issue.
    Last edited by Beanzy; Jun-08-2018 at 4:28pm.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

8. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Astro 

Taking the advice here, I lowered the gain on the smart phone to 50% below neutral; increased the gain on the ireg pre; lowered the mic away from mouth closer to guitar; and stepped back so face is about 2 feet back and guitar is maybe 1 1/2 feet back.

This time it might be slightly guitar heavy in the mix (as opposed to guitar weak in the Over The Edge's mix and more neutral in the Dream's mix) but overall I'm much happier with the recording tone this way with the preamp gain up and me stepped back from the mic.

So this newest sample is another Sarah Jarosz cover (dumbed down so I could play it) - Miles On The Moon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rIP7lHd3Ks

Next I'll look at those aps to try to add a bit of reverb so its not quite so flat.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.