Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Love for a Vintage Gibson F-12?

Default Re: Any Love for a Vintage Gibson F-12?

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    it all looks right and original to me except the added padding in the case top. Needed that to keep it from flopping around in the case. Clean. Regular F5 length neck.
    Yes, I knew that it had the regular length neck but thanks for confirming that.

You have a keen eye. LOL. The felt in the case is not glued in and it does indeed keep it from flopping around. I recommend that for all mandolin owners. LOL.

I did recently decide to sell it due to personal issues that have come up in my family. By the way, You would not believe the negative comments that I received when playing it in jams and showing it to people down through the years. It's as if the F-12 design is under a curse.

Apparently all mandolin players want a signed 1923 Lloyd Loar F5 and anything that doesn't look (or sound) like one is not very good. Makes me laugh.

I have two other lovely mandolins, as well. There's an "A" Martin that my Mother bought me for my birthday and also the 1917 A-3 Gibson which is a very fine-sounding instrument. Both are in excellent condition and are keepers.

Regards and thanks again.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Blog Entries

I see the 12 sold on evilbay for 2600? I offered 2G but I guess that was too low and wouldn't go through!
    No everybody doesn't want a 22-23 Loar, I want one of the early batch #'s of the Feb.18th 1924s! Now those if they sound as good as Uncle Gene Johnson's now that's a refined Loar that sure aint the Monroe sound! That's sure part of somethin

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I see the 12 sold on evilbay for 2600? I offered 2G but I guess that was too low and wouldn't go through!
    No everybody doesn't want a 22-23 Loar, I want one of the early batch #'s of the Feb.18th 1924s! Now those if they sound as good as Uncle Gene Johnson's now that's a refined Loar that sure aint the Monroe sound! That's sure part of somethin
    Hi,
    Well, if I were to take out a large mortgage on my home, I could get get one of the early batch #'s. That would be right before my divorce. LOL.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.