Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel to buy

Default Travel to buy

I've been following a recent what should I buy thread, and just saw the OPs SoCal address. Probably a six hour drive or a short flight to The Mandolin Store. Now think about it, you are buying something you could spend thousands of hours with. To me the trouble is well worth it. Now I'm within half an hour of two pretty good shops, and between those, I'd be likely to find something I'd be happy with, but if I were spending upwards of $5000, I'd grab a flight to Phoenix and head to TMS. Wouldn't even stay overnight.
    I realize some might live two hours from an airport and that can be an issue because small airport flights cost, but a three day weekend jaunt would be doable to compare.

The I'm a four hour drive from a store argument is senseless unless you've played a brand you know you want and they don't have it.

I have a friend a hour's drive from Portland. He bought a guitar for $7000 online. He's happy with it, but why not drive to try six or eight at once. How much money goes down the drain buying new and selling to buy something else later? I think investing in some travel is worth it.

And budget a healthy chunk for the other half to go shopping in the big city. That will help when you go a grand over budget for that special mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Travel to buy

Just about a year ago, I bought a Loar LM520 from TMS - sight unseen. There are hardly any local stores in the Dallas area with a good selection to try and I had no experience with Mandolin except what I have heard from other's playing. So I had to rely on research from the Cafe, watching/listening to YouTube,, and reading a ton of reviews; eventually finding a blem sale from a MC sponsor. It's been a blast ever since.

Your post is right on target with what I've been thinking about - upgrading to an A oval hole with a warmer tone than my Loar. A mandolin is an investment with great returns the more you play. Why should I risk my upgrade investment solely on the reviews of others. We all have our preferences and we all have unique needs.

This time, I want to play a lot of different mandolins before I buy and see what speaks to me. Fiddler's Green is in Austin; about a 4 hour drive. That's easily a day trip or, better yet, a long weekend trip with the wife to decide what I want to spend my money on. That will be my next step in this journey. The future may hold a trip to Arizona to TMS or a trip up to Elderly, but I want better playing skills before I include airfare in a purchase.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Your situation is exactly what I was thinking of, and your buying your first from TMS was a solid decision, but now is the time for a road trip.

Austin will provide everything you need. You might find an instrument that works for you, but you could only spring for a used instrument. Well, you will be armed with the info you need to shop the classifieds. I guess the point is, yes, you would probably be fine buying that Collings MF online, but then one day someone might hand you a Gibson F9 and you fall for the Gibson tone. You'd have been better off finding that out up front.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You are right, of course, Br1ck, but I have to say trusting TMS' opinion when I bought my first (relatively) pricy mandolins was a good decision, I haven't regretted it and with my work schedule travelling to try many mandolins would require taking vacation to go up to Elderly (the only place within any semblance of reasonable driving distance.) And some people do not work where they have that option (my work last year took away paid vacation, I can take 4 weeks' unpaid vacation - who can afford that!) Livin' the dream!

I live an hour from TME. It's dangerous living so close, but I feel quite lucky to be able to demo a lot of different instruments in person.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    How much money goes down the drain buying new and selling to buy something else later? I think investing in some travel is worth it.
    It can be a lot if new. Less to a little when reselling used with no issues.

I'm all for playing first, but one store visit may not produce 'the one'. But.. you will be mandolin wiser for the effort.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I live an hour from TME. It's dangerous living so close, but I feel quite lucky to be able to demo a lot of different instruments in person.
    Like this one?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125249#125249
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I've made 2 x 518 mile round trips to TAMCO in Brighton by train in the past,& enjoyed every minute of it. IMHO - if you're buying an expensive instrument,it's worthwhile making the effort to ''try before you buy'' - if it's logistically practical of course - just enjoy the journey,that in itself could be very enjoyable,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

When buying a high ticket item if you can for sure get there in person, a few years ago maybe 2 I drove the what close to 5 hour drive to Bernunzio's in Rochester to play a 37 F-5 flowerpot, while it had potential with a neck set and set up. It had pretty good tone and volume but I hated the neck profile. I just didn't want to hassle with it. With what it cost, with some trading and then the neck set, I sure wasn't going to try and haggle to get it just to put more $ into it-and shave the neck down.
    A year later I got a 36 F-5 fern unseen in person "mainly because I'm in PA, the fern was in Washington State" and very happy I did, perfect neck profile! Already had an idea of tone and overall voice from a youtube video-Crazy to buy unseen-maybe but can be fun if you have a good idea of what it'll be and have great communication with the owner.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I also live within driving distance of TME and pay a visit once every month or two usually leaving with only a pack of strings or some such. I've played this mandolin as well as a torrified MFO they had in stock. My opinion of torrified tops continues to be one of disfavor. Likewise with the Martin guitars. These instruments have a nasal quality to their sound which I find annoying. I had the chance to A/B compare two Martin OM-18 Authentic guitars once, one with VTS (Martin's brand name torrification) and one without and, yes, the process has an effect but which sounds better is, I guess, subjective.

If you're buying with an eye towards resale, buying new is a mistake. There is such a wealth of used instruments in the cafe classifieds, one can buy there and try it for weeks or months in one's own home, or band, or jam, and resell if desired for little to no loss. However, that wouldn't be possible if folks stopped buying new instruments and reselling them used.
    One recommendation that I do suggest, is always bring your own mandolin with you when going to test other instruments. Play them side by side so you can hear and feel the differences, instead of trying to compare from memory.

14. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I wish I still had the option of just driving to Mandolin Bros.

I'd accept the danger.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

In the past 90 days, I've bought two mandolins online (a Loar 590 and a Northfield F5S) just by doing as much research as I could and then pulling the trigger. It has completely worked out on both occaissions I am completely satisfied with both mandolins. BTW...the Loar is for sale in the classifieds at 25% off from new. Just sayin'!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

I have not played that particular torrified instrument, but own several, including the all torrified MT2 from NAMM 2018. I actually like the oval hole F, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I am not a big fan of D'Addario phosphor bronze strings, but have used Mangan monels on these and prefer the tone from those.

TME always has a good selection of mandolins (and guitars). While I am not a big fan of contemporary Martins, torrified or otherwise, I think it's every player to himself. Some people like varnish, some like lacquer, etc. I try to stay open to different wood combinations. I bought my Kimble two-point there last summer, several Girouards, a slew of Collings instruments, a Lowden, and sold a lot of instruments there over the past few years. I have had the opportunity to play Gilchrists, Campanellas, a few Nuggets, some vintage Gibsons, etc. there. Always a good selection. While I hate the traffic driving towards Boston, but it's worth the hassle.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    ... Play them side by side so you can hear and feel the differences, instead of trying to compare from memory.
    Excellent advice! More than half the time I've done this I've left the store with the same instrument I brought in as a potential trade. Even if the instrument in the shop sounds good you may realize that you prefer the one you already own.

19. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

Blog Entries

I have had the opportunity to play Gilchrists, Campanellas, a few Nuggets, some vintage Gibsons, etc. there. Always a good selection. .
    Indeed, nothing else like it in New England. The only mandolin that I regret "thinking about" (because it was gone when I returned) was a used Campanella F style. Not the most expensive instrument in the shop, by far, but it had an exquisite sound.

Agree totally with trying before you buy whenever feasible, though I’ll admit most of my instruments were classifieds purchases. I’ve been fortunate in that I’ve had good interactions with sellers and all of the instruments arrived without damage. But, the education from taking the 6 hour drive to Nashville a few years ago helped guide many of those decisions...
    Chuck

I agree with bringing your instrument to compare. I had a small adjustment done on my Silverangel at Gryphon last month.nplayed it back to back with a Weber, multiple Collings, and some Northfields. It was every bit the equal of the others. Different, yes, but on a subjective not qualitative basis.

Yes. I want a brighter mandolin in addition to, not instead of.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

A fun comparison after playing yourself is having someone A/B yours and the potential yours while you listen. A real ear opener

Blog Entries

I wish we still had something good down here in Southern CA. Since Buffalo Bros closed the closest top-line brick and mortar mandolin-specialized store is Gryphon. If I lived within 2 hours drive to Gryphon I'd be very likely to "settle" for something from them rather than flying somewhere and risking air travel with a newly purchased instrument.

Or, I keep forgetting that I just retired -- maybe it's time to plan an RV road trip to Nashville and visit some of the special stores there... Hmmmm.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

There's a lot to be said for being able to try an instrument out in person - while all of my mandolin purchases have been done online, I recently purchased a wonderful 1969 Martin 00-18 guitar while I was down in Los Angeles visiting an old friend. It's a real "player's instrument" with the wear and tear to prove it, but I couldn't put it down in the shop - played it for over two hours and knew it had to come home with me (wasn't even in there looking for a guitar!). If I'd seen it listed on Reverb etc. I wouldn't really have given it a second look - it was being able to play it that sealed the deal, the neck profile is perfect for me and it sounds fantastic.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

If I were in So. Calif. It would be hard to decide between East and North. A weekend North and you could hit Sylvan in Santa Cruz, a Weber, Pava, Ellis, Giouard, dealer, then a forty minute drive would get you to Gryphon. I've seen one or two new Webers there, but Collings is their main upscale brand but they have two or three Northfields there too. Lots of Eastmans as does Sylvan, but we're talking higher end here.Shoenberg would be a trek but get you to the N bay.

East to The Mandolin Store, but it's 100+ this time of year. Oh, but the temptation in one place is pretty darned good. Retirement will let you visit midweek, a much better experience. Call ahead for TMS, as they don't keep regular hours.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Years ago, a friend and I took a road trip to Nashville, TN. He was looking for a guitar. We had a great time! We ate at Jacks Barbecue a couple of time, went to the Station Inn, and of course went to Gruhns, and several other guitar stores. It was a blast!

I'm in the minority here but I think stretching your dollars can get you a better mandolin. I would rather have a 2k used mando from the classifieds, reverb, or TMS than a $1300 mando and $700 spent on travel.

I think we have enough info to get a great starter mandolin online. I think we have enough info to get a great intro-pro level mandolin online (some where around 2k). Any higher it gets tricky. At that point I would travel.

Of course if you're not on a strict budget and enjoy the experience, there's value there too.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

From Chuck - " At that point I would travel. " Wise man - however,for some folk,$1,300 US is a fair amount of cash & they need to get it right,so a journey might be in order for them. Sometimes it's a matter of ''can i afford not to try before i buy'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

30. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: