Thread: KM-162, Epiphone MM-50e, Godin A8

Default KM-162, Epiphone MM-50e, Godin A8

Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice, and from what I read in other threads, you guys are great! Sorry in advance for the long post...

I know the KM-162 doesn't seem to fit with the other mandolins in the title, but here is my dilemma.

I own a Kentucky KM-162, it was my first mandolin. I gigged with it a little bit in a country band with bass, drums, keyboard and a second guitar player (I only play mando in a few songs). The pickup I have now is a Schatten piezo stuck to the top with the supplied putty, but it's made to be installed inside the mando, so the jack is held to the tailpiece with tape and zip ties. It's held up like that since last year, but I'm tired of having it look so bad, and not sounding that good in the process. I'm using a Tech 21 Para driver DI to shape the sound, and it does a good job. But, I'm ready to upgrade to a more efficient, better sounding solution. Here are the options I narrowed it down to:

1- Add a good pickup like a Fishman M-200 or LR Baggs Radius to my Kentucky. It's the cheapest option, and my mando is kind of nice, so I'd like to keep it anyway, and it's all solid wood.

2- Since I play mostly amplified in a loud band, a Godin A8 seems like a great choice, it's been recommanded to me by a few friends, I had the chance to try it in a store, and I'd be encouraging a local company (I'm from Québec). They make high quality instruments, so that's a plus, but the acoustic sound is not as satisfying as a real acoustic mando. I'd be getting a very good plugged in sound though.

3- My other option is an Epiphone MM-50e, which I rented last month and gigged with, and I was happy with the result straight through a DI. A friend of mine has been using it professionnally for years now and is very pleased with it. It's a good compromise, because it's an acoustic mandolin with a magnetic pickup (no feedback problems, and I can plug it in my electric guitar pedalboard if I feel like experimenting). The F shape is a big plus aesthetically too since it's what I always wanted. But I felt the overall quality, the craftsmanship and the finish were lacking compared to the Godin. It's also the priciest of the bunch (950$ CND), but the one that meets most of my needs.

So, I'd like to read what you guys think about that and what are you experiences. I don't have easy access to a lot of brands, and my budget is 1000$ CND max.

Thanks!!

Default Re: KM-162, Epiphone MM-50e, Godin A8

Another option would be to buy the Shadow mandolin pickup that the Epiphone uses and install it in your Kentucky. The new cost is $199 US dollars on the Shadow website, but they show up on eBay used for about $80 US dollars.

3. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

JPC 

Personally, given those choices, I would go with option 1. Option 2 would be a non starter for me, because I would want a good acoustic sound and I would want to be able to play into a mike if the situation did not allow me to plug in for some reason. The Godin, as you point out, is lacking in acoustic tone. I would eliminate option 3 personally, because I have played the Epiphone and it lacks good acoustic tone as well. This comes from the fact that it has laminate back and sides, and not particularly high quality laminate either. It has F style looks, but so what? Tone trumps aesthetics every time. Plus, it’s way overpric d for what it is. Your Kentucky is superior to that Epiphone in every concievable way. Again, like the Godin, I suppose it would be ok if you plugged it in all the time. So it were me choosing, I would keep that sweet Kentucky mandolin, and have a decent pickup installed to just make it louder. The Fishman would do a good job of preserving the acoustic tone for sure. I’m not as familiar with the radius but LR Baggs has been in the business a long time and I’m sure it’s fine.

You do seem to be all over the map as far as what you’re trying to achieve with your instrument. As I said above, I’m all about the pure, unadulterated acoustic tone of my instrument. But you also want to “experiment” with pedals? You see, that’s why I’ve never understood electric guitarists. When I play an electric instrument, once I’ve found a good tone, I want to keep it. Why would I want to then alter it by running it through a pedal? You’re not really hearing the instrument anymore, you’re hearing the pedal! But, although it’s not for me, I do understand some like that. The pedal business is booming, there must be thousands of different ones out there, how can anybody keep them all straight? But if you are serious about wanting to do that, your best choice would actually be a solidbody. You could keep the Kentucky and have the good quality pickup installed, for when you want to sound like a mandolin. Or forget the pickup and just play intoa good quality condenser mike. Down the road you could keep your eyes open for a used Mandocaster or Mandobird for your electric sound. No worries about feedback with those either.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

JPC 

And Jeff, let me say that personally I have never cared for that Shadow pickup with the controls built into a “pickguard”. I don’t know how it performs, but to my eyes it is extremely ugly, and what if you want to play without a pickguard?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

JPC 

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

I've been playing a Godin A8 in a semi-loud band for a few years with nothing bad to say about it, but decided I needed more of an acoustic sound (I'm playing through a Fishman LB artist) so I had a K&K twin installed in a very very nice sounding Ratliff F style mandolin & playing solo or just with a acoustic guitar player it sounds amazing. But playing with the band there really isn't that much difference in the sound from the A8. After playing the R5 for for a few months I took the A8 to practice last week and thought why did I bother with the K&K set up this thing sounds great. With the A8 feedback dosn't exist & the volume control on it is worth the price of the instrument to me there's times where the bands volume will change or I'm gonna chop away and want some bite I just nudge the slider up, impossible with the K&K set up.
    Lou

11. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

JPC 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Personally, given those choices, I would go with option 1. Option 2 would be a non starter for me, because I would want a good acoustic sound and I would want to be able to play into a mike if the situation did not allow me to plug in for some reason. The Godin, as you point out, is lacking in acoustic tone. I would eliminate option 3 personally, because I have played the Epiphone and it lacks good acoustic tone as well. This comes from the fact that it has laminate back and sides, and not particularly high quality laminate either. It has F style looks, but so what? Tone trumps aesthetics every time. Plus, it’s way overpric d for what it is. Your Kentucky is superior to that Epiphone in every concievable way. Again, like the Godin, I suppose it would be ok if you plugged it in all the time. So it were me choosing, I would keep that sweet Kentucky mandolin, and have a decent pickup installed to just make it louder.
    Respectfully, Don, the OP isn't asking what you would do, but rather what he should do. And those two things aren't necessarily the same.

JPC, in option #2, would you be adding the Godin alongside the Kentucky or would the Kentucky have to go in order to afford the Godin? If you can afford both, you could potentially address your applications in settings that are plugged in and acoustic.

If you are looking for one all-inclusive upgrade, allow me to suggest an Eastman MD615. It offers you your desired F-style silhouette in solid woods with a factory installed pickup. And while a new one is above your stated budget, there are a couple of used ones on Reverb and even MusicGoRound that might fit.

https://reverb.com/item/8323384-east...U0PD_BwE&pla=1

https://www.musicgoroundcoloradospri...SABEgIcU_D_BwE
    Last edited by pheffernan; Jun-02-2018 at 9:39am. Reason: added links
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Yes Patrick I know he was asking what he should do. I was just trying to phrase things in a more passive way! Like, I’m not TELLING you what to do, but here’s what Iwould do IF I were you!

But in reality, I WAS actually telling him what he should do. And I added some other options that he might not have thought about. As did you! By the way, the Eastman 615 is a good suggestion! Gives him everything he’s looking for.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

15. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

The Godin A8 is what I would choose, of those options. Functions great plugged in, no feedback, and with the somewhat muffled acoustic volume you can practice in hotels without driving everyone nuts. Keep the Kentucky for all acoustic gigs, jams, and playing at home, and let the Godin be your gigging work horse.

The Eastman 615 is also a good choice, or, if you can find one for sale, a USA made Ovation MM68 would also work well for you...
    Chuck

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone! An Eastman would be awesome for sure! I tried an MD315 and fell in love with it, so I imagine the 615 is much better. I'll have to keep an eye open for used ones.

As for keeping the Kentucky and buying the Godin, it's what I'm leaning towards right now. I think it would be a sensible option!

19. The following members say thank you to JPC for this post:

Blog Entries

I recommend the mandolin you enjoy the most for sound and playability. Hopefully, it comes equipped, but if not, the K and K mini gives you volume and authentic tone. I have had the K and K in two different mandolins and loved it. I have a Flatiron F5 with a K and K and use it in the church band now. The Eastman suggestion is a great choice-- I owned an MD605 with the onboard/factory electronics and it was very professional sounding plugged in. The Godin gives you all you could need, as does the Ovation, but if you want to play it as an acoustic mandolin, the Kentucky 162 with a pickup could do the trick. I think I am beginning to repeat the other posts, so I will stop myself... Best regards!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

See, I guess I was assuming you were going to replace the Kentucky with something else. But if you’re willing to keep it for acoustic work and buy something else for plugging in acoustically, the Godin will be fine. And you would be supporting a Quebec based business. Sounds like a win-win!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post: