Thread: Looking for an office mandolin

Default Looking for an office mandolin

I'm probably going to post something very similar to this as a wanted ad in the classifieds but I figured I'd add something here in case someone had a suggestion that I might find on Reverb, or elsewhere. I am looking for a cheap-o mandolin to leave in my office to play during my lunch break. The caveat is that I am also going to be looking to upgrade my "home" mando as well in the near future. I currently have a Michael Kelly A-Solid. You may say, "Hey, just upgrade and bring that to work" but I want to keep that at home for camping/festival use. Plus, I am really leaning toward a round or oval hole for the office (quieter and different from what I have). Because I don't want to eat too much into my "better" mandolin budget I am trying to keep this under $300. I am much more concerned with playability than sound, although obviously I want something that will at least stay in tune. Was thinking maybe a used Seagull or something older. The main reason I am reaching out (and I do feel bad about ANOTHER help me decide on an instrument thread) is that I swore I'd never buy an instrument off the internet again after being burned a number of times. Unfortunately, other than a Seagull, I have never seen anything but crummy F hole mandos at the stores near me. As has been discussed, the NY Metro area is not exactly mandolin country (I'm in SW CT). Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Looking for an office mandolin

Bump it by $50 and you'll have a great mandolin:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...-with-gig-bag/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

thanks for the suggestion but I'd really prefer an oval/round hole.

You might find a used Big Muddy, formerly known as Mid-Missouri, round hole flat top mandolin for around $300. Bump up that budget a bit and you can order a new one from Mike: http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store/primitive

6. The following members say thank you to geoffa for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I don't think that an oval would necessarily be quieter.
    Living’ in the Mitten

If you are dead set on an oval, keep an eye out for an Eastman MD 304. I have a MD 305 and after doing a setup on it, it is a GREAT mandolin you can take anywhere and not worry about too much. And they sound pretty good for what they are.

You could probably make an offer on this one on Reverb and get it for close to $300 shipped...

https://reverb.com/item/12156645-eastman-md304

They don't make this model anymore, I don't think. And I rarely see them for sale, but they are nice. So is the 305 if you can live with the F holes

9. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

What about one of these Washburn M1-1SDLs? ANyione have any experience? they seem to be popping up in the price range I'm looking.

I'll blow your budget by suggesting a Flatiron N1(1N?), an absolute gem of sweet sound. Hard to find for less than $500 these days.

Here would be my plan though. You know when you're going camping. Mandolins are easy to carry around. Take your MK to work temporarily and buy your upgrade. Then shop for a permanent office mandolin. Don't spend a dime until you get an upgrade that makes you happy. $1200 will buy you a dandy used A style.

If you haven't already, you can wring some nice performance from your MK by making sure the bridge contact is good, and leveling and recrowning ithe frets. Fixing a bone nut won't hurt either. My MK serves me well as an all around beater, and it has survived some brutal camping misadventures.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Dont completely understand your criteria, you can get a -new- Seagull S8 for that price cant you? Cause they are still about 400 Cdn here in Canada and our dollar is at about 77 cents US. If you can find a used one thats fine but players (me, you f’r example) tend to buy them as a spare/work/campfire/airplane etc instrument, then we keep them, because they are excellent in those capacities. Ask for a discount.

Also, unlike other excellent suggestions you have received, these unique instruments are not going to spend all your future coffee-and-muffin budget on setups and upgrades. They’re setup out of the box, and the hardware is remarkably good at the price point, and the unique fixed bridge will stay just where it is until hell freezes over.

Look for one of these old German 'pocket mandolins'. They're not very loud and shouldn't cost anywhere near $300
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t111a.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	168240

I found a Stradolin near by I am really happy with and always thought it would be cool to have one anyway. So now I've got a beater MK and a better sounding but more beat up Stradolin and the wife agreed that it wouldn't count towards my eventual upgrade. I'm not really in rush for the big upgrade and am planning on pulling the trigger when I get to play one that really screams out to me in my price range. Since I have now only played about 10 mandolins ever, most of which were cheap Loar/fender/epiphones, I don't expect to come into contact with one any time soon. Although I am going to Grey Fox this year...

16. The following members say thank you to jaybp30 for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I have this one in the Classifieds-- an original Crossover model,round hole, with case,tonegard. Very close to your $300and I might be flexible.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125040#125040
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

isn't it fun suggesting stuff for other folks to buy? here's what i bought as a knock-about mando that i'm not afraid to take out into radical climate swings and bug spray that would be of concern with my breedlove quartz 'f' ... the loar lm-110 'a' with carved spruce top and lam maple back and sides, 'f' holes, bone nut, ebony bridge, full truss rod, and decent tuners. MF and others have for 250 but all will offer discounts that'll bring it to about 200 shipped. mine cost 170 shipped. after the obligatory setup and new strings, she plays easy and fast, there is more than decent mando tone to my liking, and life is good.

Mandolins are truly *magic*!

I played a new Seagull S8 on Friday and was really impressed with it!
    I have a Kentucky 171 oval hole mandolin.
    Is the Seagull as loud as my Kentucky? No. With the smaller body size, it just can't be as loud.
    Did the Seagull have a nice tone? Yes, I thought that it did.

What impressed me the most was the neck.
    It had a comfortable rounded neck and I had easy access to the first 15 frets.

If I wanted something to just play at home - or at an office- I would give a Seagull mandolin serious consideration.

Joseph Baker

If you want quiet, my Fender mandocaster gets there, and still feels like a real mandolin, but the sound is much less. It isn't as quiet as an electric guitar though.

The Eastwood mandocaster has a better bridge than the fender, I'd go for that one if I had it to do again.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

No matter how quiet you think it is, people will hear it. So I wouldn't worry about the size or shape of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydxn View Post
    Look for one of these old German 'pocket mandolins'. They're not very loud and shouldn't cost anywhere near $300
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t111a.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	168240
    30 years ago I got a pocket mandolin made in Denver Colorado, 'Leo' brand name..

Ive brought it on a few long bicycle tours in Europe & British Isles, ..since..

name dropping Martin's backpacker is good, had one for a while,

sold it to someone going traveling to South America...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture