Thread: Standing and Strapped Up!

Default Standing and Strapped Up!

Another post got me thinking about this and I really can't believe I've not posted on this sooner: I can't play standing up! I add the strap but no matter what I try, I can't find a comfortable/effective playing position compared to when I'm sitting. As an FYI, I play an F body.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Default Re: Standing and Strapped Up!

I play sitting down and strapped. Standing still too long, as little as 2-3 songs. Back gets stiff and have a hard time walking when done playing.

Registered User misterstormalong's Avatar

I don’t like playing sitting down. I sing much better standing up, my left hand fingers align better with the fretboard and my right hand moves with better rhythm. All that is stifled by sitting. I even prefer to practice standing up.
    Hora Concert Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MD504 Mandolin
    Crane Duet Concertina
    Gretsch Jim Dandy parlour guitar
    Gold Tone AC-4 Tenor Banjo
    http://justanechoonthewind.blogspot.com/

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I find my playing more accurate while sitting. Accuracy is critical to my style of playing. Perhaps I find my playing more accurate while sitting as this is how I practice.
    Maybe I should practice standing more often, but my Pick-N Glider is oh sooo comfortable for playing. Wish it was practical to take the Pick-N-Glider out with me.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Might want to try adjusting your strap to a different position and see if that would make it more comfortable for you. You want to try and get the mandolin in the same position in relation to the position of your arms. When I practice, I mostly play sitting down, but I always end up standing up and playing while walking around a little. If you start practicing more while standing, you will become more accustomed to it and soon it won't really matter what position you are in while playing.
    ManjoMan

Quote Originally Posted by ManjoMan View Post
    Might want to try adjusting your strap to a different position and see if that would make it more comfortable for you. You want to try and get the mandolin in the same position in relation to the position of your arms. When I practice, I mostly play sitting down, but I always end up standing up and playing while walking around a little. If you start practicing more while standing, you will become more accustomed to it and soon it won't really matter what position you are in while playing.
    That's excellent advice and I've already started that process. I need to make this work.

I 've always found playing standing up allows me to play better - presumably the posture and ergonomics are better. If I do sit, I'll use a bar stool so that I'm not scrunched up. Of course, a strap is necessary, and I find that better even if sitting as it helps raise the neck. I play a fairly lightweight flat top, so that works quite well, with the thin strap up to the headstock, but without putting tension on the neck. This may not work well with F styles...?
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Blog Entries

Yep - I like to practice playing some while standing. You get used to it pretty quick. I can get distracted adjusting to standing if I never do it.

Practicing playing while standing is a necessary evil. I really don't feel like doing it after standing at work all day, but pretty much all my gigs are played standing. It takes some getting used to. I feel like I tend to play more freely while sitting.
    Mitch Russell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Practicing playing while standing is a necessary evil. ...pretty much all my gigs are played standing.
    Yep.

I don't like to do much standing, actually.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I play an F and most seem to tie the strap to the scroll. This always makes the mando neck heavy. Endpin to headstock will allow you to position however you want. It sjust sits in the corect position even with no hands. This also frees allows the left hand from holding the neck while fretting.

Question for those who say they play better when sitting than standing: Do you have straps which allow you to exactly duplicate, while standing, the position of your mandolin while sitting?

If not, then why not?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

13. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Question for those who say they play better when sitting than standing: Do you have straps which allow you to exactly duplicate, while standing, the position of your mandolin while sitting?

If not, then why not?
    I attempt to keep the mandolin in the same position sitting or standing. This was more difficult to do prior to loosing 30 pounds as the mandolin used to want to flatten out when seated.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

A popular way of doing it is to adjust the strap while you're sitting so your instrument will be in the same position standing. You might also observe closely exactly what angle and how far away you hold it. If you're very dependent on resting on your leg(s), then maybe hou can tighten the strap a bit to so it doesn't quite rest there, but everything else is the same. It's possible to come close to creating the same position for both.

Yessir, play with the strap length. And, losing weight so the mando can hang the same sitting or standing is important. And, your doctor won’t be fussing at you to lose weight all the time...sux, I know first hand, but just do it!!
    Chuck

I practice and play at jams sitting almost exclusively.

When I sit, I can fix the mandolin in place so it does not move.
    I often see people on stage playing at top speed, with their mandolins rocking up and down.
    I have always wondered how they are able to play with precision.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

From Misterstormalong - " I even prefer to practice standing up.". You obvously don't suffer from chronic lower back pain !!.

Standing still is guaranteed to bring on almost crippling pain - so i practice sitting down. ( i don't practice the action of sitting down I sit down to practice ). I do sometimes practice standing up,but i need to move around slightly. If i stand still,i won't last 5 minutes. I can play easily both sitting & standing,but sitting makes for a more stable platform for the mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Sitting is much more relaxing if you have health problems, trust me on this one! I find if I sit and play its for sure more enjoyable than standing thinking and getting aggravated about any PAIN be it back or legs. I also find that I play different more stylish and pull better tone sitting, standing also if you are having a good night on occasion but once aggravation sets in look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

If not, then why not?
    Learned this years ago with guitar. Have adjusted my straps on both guitar and mandolin so they instruments are in the same spot sitting or standing. For some performances I'll stand, others, will sit. Depends on the music and situation.

One thing I do need to work on is my posture while sitting. Often end up hunched over and looking even fatter than I am.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Some where I stopped using a strap to play seated. It's comfortable and convenient. Standing and playing is for folks getting paid

I spend a lot of time at my desk, both for practicing and various chores. I had trouble standing for the duration of a gig, or even at festival jams, without my back hurting. (I'm 60 now.) A couple years ago I got a standup desk. Actually, I just built a couple 14" platforms and raised my existing desk to standing height. Now I spend a lot of time standing and my back is much better. I also have a tall stool, so I do still sit at my desk from time to time, but standing definitely got easier with practice. Who knew?

My playing is better sitting, my singing better standing. So, I compromise with a stool. Forces me upright and lets me really use my diapghram when signing. And when I need to get my playing accurate, sitting lets me focus (and see) the neck. And, always wear a strap!
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Misterstormalong - " I even prefer to practice standing up.". You obvously don't suffer from chronic lower back pain !!.

Standing still is guaranteed to bring on almost crippling pain - so i practice sitting down. ( i don't practice the action of sitting down I sit down to practice ). I do sometimes practice standing up,but i need to move around slightly. If i stand still,i won't last 5 minutes. I can play easily both sitting & standing,but sitting makes for a more stable platform for the mandolin,
    Ivan
    I find I can wander around gently whilst playing, and it's no doubt better tha standing still. Ever tried playing whilst sitting on a excersise bike? I haven't, but it seems like an interesting idea. I only have a real bike, but I see issues there.....
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"